Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
his is the case with people raving how they were ripped off with the price changes. It's like buying anything, sometimes if you're patient you'll get the good deal. I think people are especially mad in this case because FSD is vapor for now, but the risk of buying it early was obvious.
I understand, but when they tell what options you have, you choose. Now, when they tell you if you dont buy it now, you will have to pay much more... is different. The salesman was more like you will always have to pay more after you close today. That for me was a lie, and it was repeated in the process. That is the problem for me.

I didn't mean full access to everything which is why I said "some parts", I meant limited access, such as the media player, phone interface, much like an app on your iPhone can't do any damage to the core OS, they could have a similar set up with the GUI on the MCU. Tesla can't seem to get this stuff working well.
Tesla planned an SDK and a full app ecosystem, but like many of Elon's grand plans, the devil is the details and it hasn't happened (probably couldn't secure it enough for the car). Elon said the SDK was just around the corner in 2013, so I'm guessing maybe the corner here is 2050 - half-way-point corner of the centrury?

PS> If you are willing to hack it, you can run your own apps on it, at your own risk of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: P100D_Me
Tesla planned an SDK and a full app ecosystem, but like many of Elon's grand plans, the devil is the details and it hasn't happened (probably couldn't secure it enough for the car). Elon said the SDK was just around the corner in 2013, so I'm guessing maybe the corner here is 2050 - half-way-point corner of the centrury?

PS> If you are willing to hack it, you can run your own apps on it, at your own risk of course.
In 2013, the problem with hacked accounts and malware Apps wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is today.

In 2013, the problem with hacked accounts and malware Apps wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is today.

How does that apply to Tesla having apps?

App usage is a lot more prevalent today than in 2013, so of course the malware problem is more prevalent (larger market). However, the security field has progressed a lot since then and we know more about how to write secure code today than we knew in 2013. Properly written apps today are a lot more secure today than in 2013. The most secure app from 2013 would likely be considered very insecure today.

Doesn't the MCU run on Linux? I hear the Linux flag-bearers saying all the time it is the most secure OS, so what's to worry about :rolleyes:
More correctly it has the potential of being the most secure OS because the source code is available for all to see. However, in the case where there are proprietary add-ons, the proprietary add-on source code is not available to the public to peruse.

How does that apply to Tesla having apps?

App usage is a lot more prevalent today than in 2013, so of course the malware problem is more prevalent (larger market). However, the security field has progressed a lot since then and we know more about how to write secure code today than we knew in 2013. Properly written apps today are a lot more secure today than in 2013. The most secure app from 2013 would likely be considered very insecure today.

Even Apple, that has a lot of people verifying the Apps, has occasional issues. Tesla doesn't have the resources to get anywhere near that level of control at this time. In a few years, they'll be able to do this, not right now.

Even Apple, that has a lot of people verifying the Apps, has occasional issues. Tesla doesn't have the resources to get anywhere near that level of control at this time. In a few years, they'll be able to do this, not right now.
So I was right, Elon saying "it's just around the corner" means some time this century, probably later than earlier, and not for anyone who paid for it at the time. Or do you think the apps will come and be certified to work on 2013 cars as well? Just like with many features, Elon has been running a reverse ponzi scheme, use money from early customers to develop features for later customers (future product feature only).

So I was right, Elon saying "it's just around the corner" means some time this century, probably later than earlier, and not for anyone who paid for it at the time. Or do you think the apps will come and be certified to work on 2013 cars as well? Just like with many features, Elon has been running a reverse ponzi scheme, use money from early customers to develop features for later customers (future product feature only).
That is certainly a negative slant. Elon has said all along that the early cars provide money to create better future cars. If you didn't read this in the secret plan, that's not Elon's fault. My 2013 has all the non-hardware dependent upgrades (plus a couple of hardware dependent ones). There is no way I can fault Tesla for not supplying all the cameras and sensors that my car doesn't have, and that weren't even announced until well after I purchase my car.

That is certainly a negative slant. Elon has said all along that the early cars provide money to create better future cars. If you didn't read this in the secret plan, that's not Elon's fault. My 2013 has all the non-hardware dependent upgrades (plus a couple of hardware dependent ones). There is no way I can fault Tesla for not supplying all the cameras and sensors that my car doesn't have, and that weren't even announced until well after I purchase my car.
For 2013, SDK is the only feature Elon promised which will like;y never be delivered. For my 2015, it was specifically advertised as a 691hp car, yet today the car would still require a 50% power boost to meet this number. It also isn't "finding me anywhere on private property" as advertised for AP1 Summon, or have reliable blind spot detection (which apparently requires additional cameras and AP2 computer because Elon's gamble on using parking sensors instead of using proved radar based solution was a total fail).

According to what you said, everyone should somehow connect Elon's plan with the feature descriptions and figure out that buying a feature means you're paying for Tesla to develop it for some future customer? Or do you really believe that anyone who bought AP2.0 will EVER be able to use their self driving car as per the FSD description from :
self_driving.jpg

The above text is a direct screencap from FSD description from 2014 until the recent cleanse, where Tesla redefined FSD to consist of featured previously in EAP, reducing EAP set of features accordingly.

So, are you saying people who paid $8K for the above, should have known they are paying for some future customers? Or are you saying that you believe everything customers paid for, including the above will be delivered to the people who paid for it on the cars they paid it on? Or are you going to dissect the above and say "a self-driving Tesla" does not mean "AP2 with FSD" and that customers should have known the description was talking about some future Tesla, not the one they are buying with that description at the time? So, which one is it?

So, are you saying people who paid $8K for the above, should have known they are paying for some future customers? Or are you saying that you believe everything customers paid for, including the above will be delivered to the people who paid for it on the cars they paid it on? Or are you going to dissect the above and say "a self-driving Tesla" does not mean "AP2 with FSD" and that customers should have known the description was talking about some future Tesla, not the one they are buying with that description at the time? So, which one is it?
Let me put it another way. When you purchase any technical product, whether it is a car, an audio system, or some computer related item, the criteria is: Does it do what you want to do as delivered? If it does, it's a non-issue. If it doesn't, then is it a deal-breaker? The expectation should be that you are getting what's delivered at the time of purchase. If additional features are later delivered, that is a bonus. Technology changes way too fast, and what was promised in good faith can be changed, altered, or even eliminated with new developments. This isn't anyone's fault, it's a byproduct of rapidly advancing technology, and electric vehicles are advancing at a breakneck pace--especially at Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
Wow, read this whole thread, what a buzz kill....

To the OP, if he is still around, my 2015 MS85 is great, and now better when I got it, with no issues that are pressing, and all of which I rather fix myself.

The price has dropped quite a bit, but that is a good thing for you.

Still in honeymoon mode 6 months in!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Let me put it another way. When you purchase any technical product, whether it is a car, an audio system, or some computer related item, the criteria is: Does it do what you want to do as delivered? If it does, it's a non-issue. If it doesn't, then is it a deal-breaker? The expectation should be that you are getting what's delivered at the time of purchase. If additional features are later delivered, that is a bonus. Technology changes way too fast, and what was promised in good faith can be changed, altered, or even eliminated with new developments. This isn't anyone's fault, it's a byproduct of rapidly advancing technology, and electric vehicles are advancing at a breakneck pace--especially at Tesla.
You are wrong. When you pay for something with explicit promises of future functionality, and it's not delivered, it's fraud. People who paid for FSD got absolutely nothing almost 3 years later. And yes, I know according to days description FSD is partially complete, but that's just a sleazy trick of redefining FSD to consist of mostly EAP features. People who paid for FSD with the description from 2016-2019 got nothing from it and it looks like they will never get it.

It's like if you pre-paid for latest Call of Duty, and they sent you nothing, you'd say "it's ok, it's tech". Then they'd tell you the new Call of Duty is actually the same as the old one you already have, so they consider it delivered. And you'd agree I'm sure.