Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unswitched power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to read up on unswitched 12V power options. What I'm seeing boils down to:
  • tap one of a variety of unswitched 12V power sources throughout the car
  • use the OBDII receptacle
  • replace the relay for the 12V power outlet with a straight connector
Of those, the first one doesn't appeal for invasiveness regarding my brand-new automobile; and the second would involve some level of a wire hanging out in plain sight. I like the idea of exchanging a relay, but I've only found this one reference to it, with no photos or any other help tracking it down: 12V Questions | Tesla
A better solution for me was to locate the relay under the hood that switches power to the 12V port. I unplugged the relay and used a 2 inch piece of wire with spade lugs on each end to plug into two of the 5 holes for the relay.
I did find this, next door in the MX room; is it applicable to the MS?: Can you keep the 12V outlets on when the car is off?

Has anyone done this/have a link to a "how-to"?

Better still would be a way to keep the USB alive (for power, at least). Any ideas there?

Last edited:
All I can find on the center console is the 12V socket and the 2nd row USB feed. Both are switched...
There could be a source behind the right rear wheel cover. Supposed to be for the motor to open the trunk.

Thanks for the reply Aerodyne, but no, that thread does not provide the answer. (mine is a 2017 and quite a few solutions are no longer applicable. However, one solution is to use the ODB2 (I changed the fuse to 10A. The wire is big enough for that.) I use that to keep the fridge on (9Amps). Apart from that there is 4x15A available on fuse f230 and f231 because I do not have heated rear seats. (mind you, these are switched.) I use 15 A for the extra footwarmer (I get cold feet in my car) the other for the coctail/breakfast table and another one for the kettle. And the last one for an interior lighting project.
Aparently, there is another unswitched source in the trunk that provides power to the lift gate which will be also be used in the lighting project and provide 4 extra USB ports. (but I am yet to locate the source.)

Thanks for the reply Aerodyne, but no, that thread does not provide the answer. (mine is a 2017 and quite a few solutions are no longer applicable. However, one solution is to use the ODB2 (I changed the fuse to 10A. The wire is big enough for that.) I use that to keep the fridge on (9Amps). Apart from that there is 4x15A available on fuse f230 and f231 because I do not have heated rear seats. (mind you, these are switched.) I use 15 A for the extra footwarmer (I get cold feet in my car) the other for the coctail/breakfast table and another one for the kettle. And the last one for an interior lighting project.
Aparently, there is another unswitched source in the trunk that provides power to the lift gate which will be also be used in the lighting project and provide 4 extra USB ports. (but I am yet to locate the source.)

I believe you will want the 20 A in the trunk for the lift gate, powered all the time.

In the thread I copied, there is a post by Akikiki that shows how he did it...

I had seen the thread before, but the link in it is broken. Also the picture was not clear as to which connector was the correct one. So I did some measuring myself... The top left connector is what you want, grey cable is plus, black is negative so I hooked up a cable to allow some extra lights and USB ports. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_165834.jpg
    IMG_20210307_165834.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210307_162946.jpg
    IMG_20210307_162946.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 73