Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP Front Sway Bar Endlink Rubbing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creating a new thread so we can stop hijacking everyone else's threads :)

The Unplugged Performance front way bar, in the recommended "soft" setting, causes the sway bar end link to rub on the lower control arm, as seen here on my 2019 Model 3 Performance:

IMG_20200212_095944.jpg

Also reported by @webbah here Sway Bars, End Links, and Rear Control Arms Installation & Impression

So far UP says they haven't seen the issue: Sway Bars, End Links, and Rear Control Arms Installation & Impression

I've contacted them via email, will see what they say.

Reactions: Orwell and webbah
Mine rubs as well - would moving the the mountings brackets forward help (I think there is some room), or is it just the drill hole that matters here?
(already had the issue of the totally wrong torque specs documentation, now this!!)

Front Sway Bar - Drivers Side.jpeg

Mine rubs as well - would moving the the mountings brackets forward help (I think there is some room), or is it just the drill hole that matters here?
(already had the issue of the totally wrong torque specs documentation, now this!!)

View attachment 510718
Yes, I would move it to the medium setting in the front. We need to hear back from @UnpluggedP on this and hopefully how they will rectify the issue (replace front sways looks like only option for a permanent fix). I’ve attached my photo of the issue here as well for consistency although it is already linked above to the other thread.
ECF05969-9523-45EF-ADE7-93ECF1987122.jpeg

I just checked and there’s barely +/- 1mm of play. So for sure not slotted!
I’m going to put back the stock front bar back and set the rear to the lowest setting. Doing some rough calculations yesterday the ratio looked similar or at least not too far off from the UP front low/rear medium.

So tomorrow I have an appointment with Tesla and they agreed to remove the front UP Sway and put back the OEM Performance sway. I will leave the UP Rear sway for now. I’m pretty stoked they agreed to do this as typically they won’t touch any aftermarket stuff. I have a good relationship with them and this probably went a long way.

Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
@webbah - nice! I left my rears in the medium setting, it seemed pretty good around the neighborhood, maybe more playful.
And if it oversteers at the track it's very easy to change the setting.
Yeah, I think I will leave it on medium in the rear for now too. Using soft in the front and medium in the rear seemed to help with understeer last time I was at the track. I’ll need to see how that works with the stock P3D front sway but I think it will be similar.

I received my replacement bar this week, installed today. The bar is shorter so it won't rub, but since the tubing diameter is the same (31.8mm), the rates will be lower. Not sure if UP already adjusted the website to reflect this or not. It should still be stiffer than stock on the softest setting, just not quite as much as before. Old bar is on the left, new bar on the right.

IMG_20200307_164703.jpg IMG_20200307_164625.jpg