Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming Control Arms appointment question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but as someone who is a fully certified ford tech, and did warranty work for Ford, Cummins, Cat, International, and some others.... Y'all have some weird views on what warranty work should be done. Manufacturers only replace damaged parts. If a service center replaces items they can't show needed replacement, people don't get paid. Also I did see someone say that control arms have to be replaced in pairs.... No. There is no reason that control arms would ever have to be replaced in pairs. You won't feel a difference. If you "felt" anything, it is in your head or the alignment was done incorrectly. To those saying Tesla should recall the cars to replace something squeaking, you don't understand recalls. Recalls are for safety concerns not because something squeaks. A TSB is made for common issues (such as a squeaky control arm) so that when someone brings in a car with that complaint, they can find the reasoning quicker. I helped write some TSBs when I was 18-19 for Ford because we had some reoccurring issues that me and one of my coworkers found the fix for and submitted to our shops Field Engineer for review.

I saw one person say they damaged a rim and then it started squeaking.... No kidding, you damaged it? Hitting something that bends your rim will definitely destroy bearings or bushings on a control arm.

Can't find anything wrong with what you say, and my first job at Ford in Dearborn (engineering) was dealing with Re-Aquired Vehicles. So a little familiar with the process. But some recalls are emissions, rather than safety related, and some are voluntary from OEM's for other reasons. One example is Porsche recalled 190 4.0L engines recently for faulty rods from a specific batch. Because they didn't want anyone with a $150K+ sports car having an engine failure. Anyway, you are right with pretty much everything above.

That said, here is why people feel entitled. It is a known issue, to the point where Tesla had a design change to fix it, and customers get pretty grumpy about having to pay for a known issue because it pops up just after warranty. Tesla has made an effort to get ahead of things, but for those who have already exceeded 50K miles, many of us are left holding the bag. Tesla Contacting Some Model 3 Owners For Control Arm Fix So yeah, a little bit out of warranty and a known problem surfaces, leaves people a bit agitated.

IN a lot of cases like this, the OEM will write this off as "Goodwill." One service center was going to do that for me, but apparently Tesla lets teh service centers make that call. When I was at Ford, we did keep track of said Goodwill in our warranty claims.

Can't find anything wrong with what you say, and my first job at Ford in Dearborn (engineering) was dealing with Re-Aquired Vehicles. So a little familiar with the process. But some recalls are emissions, rather than safety related, and some are voluntary from OEM's for other reasons. One example is Porsche recalled 190 4.0L engines recently for faulty rods from a specific batch. Because they didn't want anyone with a $150K+ sports car having an engine failure. Anyway, you are right with pretty much everything above.

That said, here is why people feel entitled. It is a known issue, to the point where Tesla had a design change to fix it, and customers get pretty grumpy about having to pay for a known issue because it pops up just after warranty. Tesla has made an effort to get ahead of things, but for those who have already exceeded 50K miles, many of us are left holding the bag. Tesla Contacting Some Model 3 Owners For Control Arm Fix So yeah, a little bit out of warranty and a known problem surfaces, leaves people a bit agitated.

IN a lot of cases like this, the OEM will write this off as "Goodwill." One service center was going to do that for me, but apparently Tesla lets teh service centers make that call. When I was at Ford, we did keep track of said Goodwill in our warranty claims.
You are correct on recalls, although usually with a case like Porsche it's because it is cheaper to them to fix those rods upfront and save the engine than let them blow and not be able to reuse parts. A squeaky control arm won't cost them money.

As for your second paragraph; First couple years of a new model ALWAYS have issues. That is why you don't buy a first model year of a new design, new motor, etc. Every manufacturer improves the weakpoints from one year to the next without going back and replacing all the changed parts on previous years. Tesla actually does MUCH more in this aspect than other OEMs when you consider software fixes. The Nav in my 2012 Ford SUCKS and they fixed it for the following year, but I didn't get the updated stuff retroactively. Take Ford for example. The 2011 6.7l Ford diesel motor was the first diesel Ford ever produced. It definitely had issues. The glow plugs were made too thin and would break off in the motor and cause damage. It was common, but ford didn't recall them, they dealt with the ones that had the issue only. I have a 2012 6.7, the glowplugs are different. Or on the full size transit vans, the rubber driveshaft coupler would cause vibrations, some of the early ones got recalled because it would come apart and send the driveshaft through the floorboard, but the later ones were dealt with on a case by case basis because not every van had the issue under warranty.

As for goodwill, yeah I would assume it is somewhat the same as dealerships for other OEMs. Ford had a goodwill allowance that could be used by dealers at their discretion. This was a small amount per dealer. Good dealerships had their own goodwill fund separate from what ford offered. My dealership set aside 80k a year for goodwill repairs. It keeps people happy, but you obviously can't give it to everyone.

You are correct on recalls, although usually with a case like Porsche it's because it is cheaper to them to fix those rods upfront and save the engine than let them blow and not be able to reuse parts. A squeaky control arm won't cost them money.

As for your second paragraph; First couple years of a new model ALWAYS have issues. That is why you don't buy a first model year of a new design, new motor, etc. Every manufacturer improves the weakpoints from one year to the next without going back and replacing all the changed parts on previous years. Tesla actually does MUCH more in this aspect than other OEMs when you consider software fixes. The Nav in my 2012 Ford SUCKS and they fixed it for the following year, but I didn't get the updated stuff retroactively. Take Ford for example. The 2011 6.7l Ford diesel motor was the first diesel Ford ever produced. It definitely had issues. The glow plugs were made too thin and would break off in the motor and cause damage. It was common, but ford didn't recall them, they dealt with the ones that had the issue only. I have a 2012 6.7, the glowplugs are different. Or on the full size transit vans, the rubber driveshaft coupler would cause vibrations, some of the early ones got recalled because it would come apart and send the driveshaft through the floorboard, but the later ones were dealt with on a case by case basis because not every van had the issue under warranty.

As for goodwill, yeah I would assume it is somewhat the same as dealerships for other OEMs. Ford had a goodwill allowance that could be used by dealers at their discretion. This was a small amount per dealer. Good dealerships had their own goodwill fund separate from what ford offered. My dealership set aside 80k a year for goodwill repairs. It keeps people happy, but you obviously can't give it to everyone.

Porsche actually replaced the whole engine. And yeah, there were issues with all teh diesels after the 7.3! Did you ever see the 3 valve spark plugs? Went what, 5 years before a fix in 2009? Don't disagree with you, just trying to give insight into the customer's perspective.

Reactions: Trekker_
Porsche actually replaced the whole engine. And yeah, there were issues with all teh diesels after the 7.3! Did you ever see the 3 valve spark plugs? Went what, 5 years before a fix in 2009? Don't disagree with you, just trying to give insight into the customer's perspective.
Porsche "replaced the whole engine" but they reused the parts from the core to ship a new engine. The didn't want their techs doing the rebuild with new conrods. Yeah I was lucky enough I never had an issue with the 3 valves. I drove them till they were hot, then used my electric ratchet and they came right out. I still pray to the Ford gods doing anything on tritons though.

Porsche "replaced the whole engine" but they reused the parts from the core to ship a new engine.
No, the engines were removed and replaced with new ones. Many of the old ones are sitting at the PEC in Atlanta (where my father-in-law works, which is how I know about it), awaiting disposition. They may be scrapped, they aren't sure, yet what they'll do. It isn't legal, anyway, to rebuild a used engine and sell it as new.

No, the engines were removed and replaced with new ones. Many of the old ones are sitting at the PEC in Atlanta (where my father-in-law works, which is how I know about it), awaiting disposition. They may be scrapped, they aren't sure, yet what they'll do. It isn't legal, anyway, to rebuild a used engine and sell it as new.
They don't have to sell as new. Warranty work allows refurbished

I saw one person say they damaged a rim and then it started squeaking.... No kidding, you damaged it? Hitting something that bends your rim will definitely destroy bearings or bushings on a control arm.

To be fair the rim damage was to the right side and the squeaking started on the left side. There was no direct impact to the left side the pothole just took out my front right rim and both right side tires. They inspected the suspension, replaced 4 tires and 1 rim (my tires were getting close to needing replacement anyways), and resealed the ball joints during that service visit.

The squeaking (on the left side) started about 5 days after that service appointment. So the suspension had been inspected and both ball joints had been resealed at that point. I scheduled a service appointment for the suspension squeak and that was when they chose to replace both control arms under warranty. I did not request that, it was their voluntary choice to do so and I am grateful for that.

Reactions: Trekker_
To be fair the rim damage was to the right side and the squeaking started on the left side. There was no direct impact to the left side the pothole just took out my front right rim and both right side tires. They inspected the suspension, replaced 4 tires and 1 rim (my tires were getting close to needing replacement anyways), and resealed the ball joints during that service visit.

The squeaking (on the left side) started about 5 days after that service appointment. So the suspension had been inspected and both ball joints had been resealed at that point. I scheduled a service appointment for the suspension squeak and that was when they chose to replace both control arms under warranty. I did not request that, it was their voluntary choice to do so and I am grateful for that.
I'm happy it worked for you!