Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Control Arm SC replacement (Out of warranty 2018 M3P)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, well it looks like I got hit with the dreaded upper control arm squeak/creak this morning and of course, just a few months out of warranty. Scheduled a service request and went back and forth with the service advisor to discuss the upper control arm being the issue.

Streamable Video

Being out of warranty and after researching online, I was worried the estimate would be astronomical but they quoted $76.50 for verify and inspect, $181.44 for both control arms parts (1044326-00-J and 1044321-00-J), and $0 for labor (remove and replace control arm pair)? Totaling $274.49 including tax.

This might be a dumb question but is the labor cost going to be added at the end or is it being considered goodwill since it’s a well-documented issue? I fully understand that it’s out of warranty but am hoping to be somewhat prepared.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

control-arm-service.jpg

My experience is you won't know till the job happens - had my side repeaters replaced because they leaked light so bad at night the camera display was horrible ( you can google that ) - in any case, they listed a price and I was OK to pay it and when I got there they said it would be good will, 1 time

Ask your Service Advisor / Service Center. Those of us on these forums can only guess their intentions. :)

I believe many states have laws to protect against auto mechanics charging for work you didn't clearly authorize. If Tesla Service tries to bill you after the fact for work you didn't agree to pay for, you should be able to push back easily, though check your local laws.

Tesla Service actually did that to me last year, performing work and replacing a part that I specifically said not to, and then included it in the bill. When I pointed out the situation the SA quickly goodwilled it. It was just a mistake from poor internal communication, they weren't trying to maliciously bilk me, but it was their mistake and I wasn't going to pay for it.

My guess is either the inspection labor covers the replacement labor, or as you suggested they are effectively goodwilling any extra labor due to well known flaw.

Reactions: afadeev
OP - have them update the invoice to include the revised FUCAs, not the old depricated J/K revisions... and once done let us know how these silver cast iron parts do (they dont even install them on 2023 3s/Ys from most Gigafactories)

They covered the total cost of the upper control arm replacements (left and right, on my Model 3P with 75,000 miles), under goodwill. When I scheduled the service I made reference to the "notorious upper control arm creak" and they never asked for anything from me. Maybe their policy has changed. My experience was about a year ago.

Same problem here, Model 3 LR, ~103,000 km. I injected some grease with a needle applicator which helped for a few weeks but then the noise came back. Rather than messing around, poking more holes into the boot and trying to seal it I decided to have the upper control arms replaced.

I told service that a diagnosis is not required as I know for a fact that it's the upper control arms. They quoted me $232.90 CDN plus tax for the parts, labour is free (good will).

My appointment is on March 21st. I'm not expecting any more problems after that but will report back if there are any issues.

They also quoted me an even higher amount for a wheel alignment. They said it's not necessarily required after replacing the upper control arms but they recommend a wheel alignment once a year or every 20,000 km. I don't have uneven tire wear, my steering wheel is perfectly centered when going straight and I don't have an unexplained low efficiency so I declined.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Although they will likely work fine, at least for another few months, years.... Js have been depircated since August/September of last year.

Tesla must need to use up existing inventory of the old FUCAs (which includes installing them on new 2023s 3s/Ys).

See a few posts above re latest part numbers:

1288321-00-A = LH
1288326-00-A = RH