Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember it's a demand thing against the dealers. I do like the idea of faster charging rates and it would affect the whole fleet pretty well.
I believe those were separate items. The one against the dealers was the comment he made about the fact that he had a secret lever he could pull to increase demand. He said that he might want to pull it this year, but he would have to wait and see.

This thread refers to a software update that would could possibly come sometime this month that would "positively impact" the entire fleet of Model S vehicles.

I'd like to see something as simple as caching the Google maps for a day (or gasp, even one whole week!!), so once loaded they don't have to reload/redraw from 3G every time the map is zoomed in or out or relocated.

And of course, all the other Nav features found on handheld GPS units built in the last 10 years (way points, alternate routes, etc).

I'd like to see something as simple as caching the Google maps for a day (or gasp, even one whole week!!), so once loaded they don't have to reload/redraw from 3G every time the map is zoomed in or out or relocated.
Sadly, that's a violation of the TOS of Google Maps. They state quite clearly that you are NOT allowed to cache them.
And of course, all the other Nav features found on handheld GPS units built in the last 10 years (way points, alternate routes, etc).
Yes. Tesla has done steady incremental improvements. And as I said a few pages ago, I think this is likely to be the thing that they were talking about. The next major step in navigation, taking into account environmental factor, your driving and the charging opportunities.

Download an offline map - Maps for mobile Help
Google maps app has had this capacity for a few years.
I was going to point out that that's the Google app. But then of course I went back and re-read the TOS and since the last time I've studied them for a project there has been an important change:
Google Maps/Google Earth APIs Terms of Service - Google Maps API Google Developers now includes this language:
10.1.3 Restrictions against Copying or Data Export.
[...]
(b) No Pre-Fetching, Caching, or Storage of Content. You must not pre-fetch, cache, or store any Content, except that you may store: (i) limited amounts of Content for the purpose of improving the performance of your Maps API Implementation if you do so temporarily (and in no event for more than 30 calendar days), securely, and in a manner that does not permit use of the Content outside of the Service; and (ii) any content identifier or key that the Maps APIs Documentation specifically permits you to store. For example, you must not use the Content to create an independent database of "places" or other local listings information.

So I was wrong. Google now does allow reasonable storing (30 calendar days is more than we'd want Tesla to store the tiles, anyway) to improve user experience. This didn't use to be the case. My mistake for going by memory and not double checking the source before posting. Given these rules it would indeed be relatively easy for Tesla to download a 5 mile radius around where you are in multiple resolutions and maybe 20 miles around you in just one or two and then have a truly fluid user experience with just the traffic being updated live over the air. All they'd need to implement is a time based expiry of the cache (which isn't all that hard) and a clever way to pick good times when to refresh that cache.

Last edited:
I was going to point out that that's the Google app. But then of course I went back and re-read the TOS and since the last time I've studied them for a project there has been an important change:

So I was wrong. Google now does allow reasonable storing (30 calendar days is more than we'd want Tesla to store the tiles, anyway) to improve user experience. This didn't use to be the case. My mistake for going by memory and not double checking the source before posting. Given these rules it would indeed be relatively easy for Tesla to download a 5 mile radius around where you are in multiple resolutions and maybe 20 miles around you in just one or two and then have a truly fluid user experience with just the traffic being updated live over the air. All they'd need to implement is a time based expiry of the cache (which isn't all that hard) and a clever way to pick good times when to refresh that cache.

Any chance the Tesla programmers also didn't know about this change? Perhaps we (I'm looking at you, dirkhh :) ) should inform them?

Some possible upgrades to the whole fleet could be:

- Integration of better musical choices directly into the car, such as Spotify
- 3D navigation
... And to think I missed the Vertical Take-Off hardware by just a few months!

This thread refers to a software update that would could possibly come sometime this month that would "positively impact" the entire fleet of Model S vehicles.
I saw "positively affect." But yes, it's separate from the Secret Weapon.

This thread is quickly becoming a wish list for the "Elon's update" :) so I'll make another wish, in addition to increasing charge speed.
What about a capability to make a small sound, to let pedestrians know I'm here? When driving through narrow streets where I only have less than three feet from pedestrians, it will be useful.
Is Model S's horn sound software controlled? I guess only the switch...

...Given these rules it would indeed be relatively easy for Tesla to download a 5 mile radius around where you are in multiple resolutions and maybe 20 miles around you in just one or two and then have a truly fluid user experience with just the traffic being updated live over the air. All they'd need to implement is a time based expiry of the cache (which isn't all that hard) and a clever way to pick good times when to refresh that cache.

And of course, it should preload all the tiles along your route.

As long as we are speculating, I was thinking things that might benefit the whole fleet:

- flux capacitor
- Knight Rider flashing light and talking computer interface
- trunk monkey
- The Jetson's bubble car sound app to match speedo read out (tied to tech package of course).

Knight Rider scrolling rear TESLA applique soon available from third party (artsci): Light effects for TESLA letter on rear appliqué

The effects have gotten much better since that video. More video soon. (I'm doing the electronics for artsci)