Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming integrated dashcam feature... How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They state their 720p uploads use 600kbps of bandwidth... so about 5mbps very roughly for 8 streams if you wanted/needed to upload all the cameras at once, assuming comparable compression of the videos.
BTW, the reason I keep saying 6 is my assumption that Tesla will be trying to optimize the data used and only record 1 of the forward cameras. Anything is conjecture at this point.

Glad you clarified because the words and tone didn’t reflect that. Nobody will turn down evidence for insurance and also based on doorbell cams and other cams being popular, car dashcams will be too. I hope that Tesla has the UI devs to make the software the best because that’s the differentiation once every car has cams. Computer vision is also key, which Tesla is years ahead with their AP algo.
Yes, I was unclear. Most don't care enough or think forward enough to deal with doing something about it. :)

The recordings are already store in a buffer inside the car anyway right? I remember people could get footage of accidents and such. So it is just the method of off-loading it. It could USB drive. It could be WiFi. I doubt that they would upload to the cloud thru LTE.

The recordings are already store in a buffer inside the car anyway right? I remember people could get footage of accidents and such. So it is just the method of off-loading it.

A tiny amount is, yes. Which is fine if you need the last few minutes.

Not so much if you need footage from hours or days ago.

T
It could USB drive. It could be WiFi. I doubt that they would upload to the cloud thru LTE.

Why? It's what other dash cams offer (some do anyway) and it'd permit remote viewing of the footage too, another popular feature among aftermarket cams.

I think I have a different expectation than others here. I don't think Tesla entered into the dashcam feature trying to compete with anyone. They have cameras and can offer a dashcam which is much better than none at all. So, my expectations are it will beat the pants off no dashcam and do so without an installation that pryes apart your interior at all and it avoids issues with power sources. I don't think Tesla ever entered into this endeavor with anything other than this in mind. Blackvue, while more intrusive to the cabin, will be far superior IMO.

Reactions: Jedi2155