Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming integrated dashcam feature... How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP doesn't care about stoplights- that's FSD. It cares about lanes and things on the road.

It uses B/W because it's faster to process the images that way.

Notice that FSD is now going to require a faster computer? Likely fast enough to process all 8 cameras images in color.
Stop light can be discerned by positions. Grayscale could work too. Not necessarily color...but owners who purchase it now will get the new processor upgrades soon. The only downside I can think of is the 720p.

Last edited:
AP doesn't care about stoplights- that's FSD. It cares about lanes and things on the road.

It uses B/W because it's faster to process the images that way.

Notice that FSD is now going to require a faster computer? Likely fast enough to process all 8 cameras images in color.
Regarding the res, I wonder if it’s possible to use the overlap for higher res images in some areas? Like the front 3 cams can combine. That’d be cool.

Not sure I understand some of these comments. What percent of even high end cars install dash cams in the US? 1%?

Full features are possible if they do the software right. With all the radar the car has you could easily start recording anytime motion is detected. Regarding sleep, you just get the option to not make it go to sleep or only partially sleep while still detecting motion.

For me and most people, a dash cam is for accidents. Having a video of some random guy smashing my car isn't all that useful.

I think this question belongs in another forum. But quickly, if it’s a low number, it’s not because of not want but costs and installation barrier. I’m willing to bet if it’s a standard easily accessible feature, many will want.
I have a decent dash cam that plugs into a 12v power source that cost me about a hundred bucks. The vast majority of people just don't care.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
I have a decent dash cam that plugs into a 12v power source that cost me about a hundred bucks. The vast majority of people just don't care.
I disagree - I think the "vast majority" of people just don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of installing an after market product (e.g. tinkering with power lines to the 12V etc). No one I know would turn down a stock/factory dash cam option if it was reasonably priced (<$500).

Reactions: McFlurri and MXWing
I disagree - I think the "vast majority" of people just don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of installing an after market product (e.g. tinkering with power lines to the 12V etc). No one I know would turn down a stock/factory dash cam option if it was reasonably priced (<$500).
Yeah, that's what I mean. If it was included in the car sure, but most don't want the hassle of a gadget on their dash or a custom install. I agree that most people would see a value if offered from the manufacturer. Even a low feature one from Tesla will cover most of what people will want.

I was thinking of buying a cheap dashcam and stick to the back of the monitor and drop the usb power down to the usb port below. But now I just wait for the Tesla version to see how it works.
That was exactly my plan. I have the adapter to power it but now I'll probably just wait.

No.

Already covered previously- they're 720p, and color.

Autopilot only processes them in B/W because it's faster and AP doesn't care about color- that doesn't speak to the cameras capabilities though.

You've said this a few times; do you have sources to support? Mr. Musk and others seem to think the 2.x Aptina cameras are RCCC filtered rather than Bayer filtered, and therefore won't yield much G or B information.

I doubt constant upload to the web (or app) - bandwidth cost, storage cost.

Power consumption due to more of the car having to stay "awake".

I do see it as a great benefit as a "driving" camera. Would have saved my bacon in a parking lot accident a few months back that I am wrongly being blamed for.

I just don't see it meeting everyone's desires for a dash cam.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If it was included in the car sure, but most don't want the hassle of a gadget on their dash or a custom install. I agree that most people would see a value if offered from the manufacturer. Even a low feature one from Tesla will cover most of what people will want.

That was exactly my plan. I have the adapter to power it but now I'll probably just wait.
Glad you clarified because the words and tone didn’t reflect that. Nobody will turn down evidence for insurance and also based on doorbell cams and other cams being popular, car dashcams will be too. I hope that Tesla has the UI devs to make the software the best because that’s the differentiation once every car has cams. Computer vision is also key, which Tesla is years ahead with their AP algo.

I was thinking of buying a cheap dashcam and stick to the back of the monitor and drop the usb power down to the usb port below. But now I just wait for the Tesla version to see how it works.
Hope you catch Elon’s comments about v9.1. Basic will exist for v9 but full competitive badass features are prob a year away, which is about the right amount of time to wait for me.

Last edited:

Agree and I hope Tesla even charges for it. A freemium model can work.

Funding it will incentivize improvements.

Of course I do.

Here’s what Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 can see with its 8 cameras

If you'd like a lot more technical discussion on the fact the cameras can do color (and how) see here-
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

Both of those sources support RCCC filtering, i.e. marginal color at best. (Damian's discussion notes that the Aptina is available in full color or RCCC, but all materials, including what you've linked, indicate that Tesla chose RCCC.)

Bjornb:
merged.jpg

Damian's article:
tcd4-44-jpg.229504

Video version:
sunset main_replay - Streamable

So, color-ish, but not what most would expect.