Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming Tesla Update (2023.12) to include steering wheel customizations and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm really looking forwards to this. Text size option, search through controls, POI info, controls on the left scroll wheel, more precision in the charge limit slider (so we don't have to use the phone for that), ... Even British English voice recognition option, which really shows they're hearing feedback.

Hopefully the scroll wheel customization does or will include: wiper speed, fan speed, headlights, fog lights, and regen level.

Reactions: Mithgul
Kinda hoping for the scroll wheel to be able to open the trunk. It’s a hassle to climb into the car to tap the screen, or pull out my phone just to pop the trunk. It’s the only thing I miss from my previous car - a physical trunk button on the driver side door…

As long as they are voluntary. I will disconnect every speaker in the car if I have to to prevent it making some fake engine (or similar) noise while driving.

I was more referencing fake engine noises that some manufactures do, including ones piped through the internal speakers.
I 1000% agree I like the current futuristic sounds they make silence was futuristic in 1990 in The hunt for Red October. And I don’t think any fake noise can improve on silence.

Not to mention that any fake noise means slightly reduced mileage as that take processing power and power to drive the speaker may only be (just trying to simplify here) 1-2 miles per charge but still that’s 1-2 miles For nothing.

Some people are spending 100s to 1000s of dollars to get 5-6 miles per charge better efficiency.

I 1000% agree I like the current futuristic sounds they make silence was futuristic in 1990 in The hunt for Red October. And I don’t think any fake noise can improve on silence.

Not to mention that any fake noise means slightly reduced mileage as that take processing power and power to drive the speaker may only be (just trying to simplify here) 1-2 miles per charge but still that’s 1-2 miles For nothing.

Some people are spending 100s to 1000s of dollars to get 5-6 miles per charge better efficiency.
I thought the sounds the Lightning made at low speeds were very subtle and kind of cool. Any propulsion sound should definitely be adjustable and defeatable though as I understand they're not for everyone, and there are times I'd also like to drive in silence. It is a gimmick, but a noticeable one. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

There's no way a propulsion sound makes any kind of impact to range. Not even a mile's worth. If it uses 15 additional watts I'd be surprised.