Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 1.40.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. My Powerwalls do not change immediately, at least not for a change from TBC to self-consumption. I tried a change from time-based control to self-consumption just now and there was no reaction after more than 5 minutes. I'm on 1.40.1 as well. I wonder if it's a backend setting.

Interesting. My Powerwalls do not change immediately, at least not for a change from TBC to self-consumption. I tried a change from time-based control to self-consumption just now and there was no reaction after more than 5 minutes. I'm on 1.40.1 as well. I wonder if it's a backend setting.

Strange, I was just coming into to post saying that we've always assumed that Tesla servers push the mode change updates to the Gateways in hourly intervals. But perhaps the Gateway actually polls the Tesla servers for the update hourly and with 1.40.1 maybe they increased the polling frequency.

However, if you are on 1.40.1 and not seeing this same behavior then it kinda disproves that theory :(.

In any case, I tested this a few times yesterday changing between TBC and Self-consumption modes as well as the peak schedule within TBC modes and all changes took effect very quickly (didn't actually time it but it seemed to be within 30 seconds or so). Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a fluke or coincidence.

If it is a backend change, hopefully they roll it out to everyone in time....

I also notice that any change on the app now gets pushed down to GW much faster (within 2 minutes) since 1.37.1. However, this version (and 1.37.2) also caused my GW to crash and put the PW to standby soon after the change was pushed down. Contacted PW Support and reported the issue. Now, it was updated to 1.40.1 few days ago and no crash so far after I made reserve % last night.

In addition to this quick settings change, I also notice that now when I login to GW UI, about 40% of the time it displays "Not Connected to Tesla" at the top of the page. Before 1.37.1, it was "Connected to Tesla" 99% of the time.

In addition to this quick settings change, I also notice that now when I login to GW UI, about 40% of the time it displays "Not Connected to Tesla" at the top of the page. Before 1.37.1, it was "Connected to Tesla" 99% of the time.

I usually have to wait about a minute before the line switches to "Connected to Tesla," but it does seem to consistently get there. I didn't pay attention to which firmware update introduced the delay, though.

I'm consistently seeing a lot more of those "Not connected to Tesla" messages to. If I leave the screen up for a while, it goes in and out much more frequently than before.

I'm also experiencing a lot more "Connection Timed out" messages when trying to make direct API calls. It usually takes a couple of tries before it is successful. The Gateway seems to have trouble handling requests from more than one device at a time. Not sure if it is underpowered hardware or the need for better software optimizations....I feel like it's the latter.

My PW2 updated to 1.40.2 today, so could be regional, could be staged rollout.
I was 1.38 -> 1.40.0 -> 1.40.2, it skipped the .1 update from this thread.

What I noticed was from when 1.40.0 came out, the PW2 last communication timezone changed from +10, to -7 and is still -7 in 1.40.2 and the customer info from the web portal is still saying it's aus utc+10. It also hasn't auto charged up from grid in tou cost saving even when it was 29% at midnight, and 12%(reserve set 2%) at 7am when the 18 hours of peak time started. 1.38 (reserve set to 20/24%) when needed would top up enough to get through 16 hours of peak. No idea if this is because the PW2 is now in no grid charge being US mountain time, or it's hoping the sun shines for the next 24 hours

I don't have the installer PW to double check/change the setup timezone, so i don't know if that would change anything. Does the password reset work for the installer password or just customer?

{"state":"/update_succeeded","info":{"status":["nonactionable"]},"current_time":1569281946730,"last_status_time":1569281516702,"version":"1.40.2","offline_updating":false,"offline_update_error":"","estimated_bytes_per_second":null}

i don't recall the estimated bytes per second being in the older update info either (from the h**ps://pw2/api/system/update/status page)

This isn't new, the 5%/0% mismatch between what the Gateway reports directly and the App reports has been around for a long time now, I saw it with v1.37.blah. "Mismatch" isn't the right word, it's really a linear offset. At 100% both say the same thing, but on the way down to empty the app reports 100->0, but the actual PW percentage is 100->5%, so the farther you get from 100% the bigger the delta becomes, up to 5% at the end.

My GW finally updated from 1.37 to 1.40.1 this past Thursday evening, which prompted my router to forget the static IP I had assigned for it and give it a new dynamic IP, which messed-up all of my data gathering scripts, didn't catch that until mid-day Saturday. Yesterday it updated to 1.40.2, and ran for a few hours before disconnecting itself from my home WiFi. I had to log into it's TEG-xxx network and re-select my WiFi to get it to join again, not sure what that was about. I've seen it get unhappy if I rebooted my router before, but this was unprompted, nothing rebooted yet it suddenly had a red X next to my network's name. Not off to a great start, 1.37 ran perfectly for me for so long.

Comparison of TBC-Balanced on 1.40.1 versus 1.40.2

2019-09-23.jpg
2019-09-24.jpg

I don't mind the Self-Powered operation during Part-Peak which starts at 7am. I just don't like the Off-Peak discharge. Glad it's gone.

Well, I was on 1.40.1 but today I noticed the Tesla app reporting I’m now on 1.40.2. Now, using web browser to connect to the gwj, just so I can see the flow diagram it works for some minutes, then loses contact for a few minutes then connects for a few minutes, loses contact for a few minutes and has continued to do that all day.

An update on my Powerwall update lag. Today I put through a manual change using the local API and now when I do changes through the app, I see those changes taking effect right away. I can see the sitemaster restarting (i.e. power numbers go to 0) same as it does when using the local API. I've also been updated to 1.40.2.

An update on my Powerwall update lag. Today I put through a manual change using the local API and now when I do changes through the app, I see those changes taking effect right away. I can see the sitemaster restarting (i.e. power numbers go to 0) same as it does when using the local API. I've also been updated to 1.40.2.
I have to confirm this. Would be extremely exciting if so!

However, as soon as PW receives the changes, it immediately goes to Standby for 5-10 minutes before it resumes normal operation

Yeah, I've seen the same thing:
  1. In Self Consumption mode, discharging to match house load.
  2. Increase backup percentage from 10% to 15% (when current state of charge is 70%), and immediately goes into standby - now drawing from the grid at peak rates.
  3. Try setting backup percentage to 0% to force it to go back into self consumption, still in standby (but a brief monitoring gap - apparently indicating that the local web server has stopped responding while accepting the change in settings).
  4. Eventually (roughly five minutes) drops out of standby and back into self consumption.
It looks like the configuration message is pushed and it appears that 1.40.2 has a listening end point that accepts the pushed message, but I'm guessing there's a bug in the local server that forces it into standby.

I went to power cycle my power wall (switch on the powerwall, open the breaker) hoping to get it to respond, and while doing this, I noticed that the fan was running flat out as well; this is on a cool (10°C / 50°F) evening.

This reminds me of an earlier firmware version when it would set the fan to 100% whenever you fiddled with the settings via the local API; it looks like that bug has surfaced again.

I might do some more testing tomorrow (off peak all day on the weekend) and if I can reliability reproduce it (including the fan running), I'll raise a case with Tesla support.