Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update for waiting Model 3 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ordered a red SR+ with white interior in Feb 2022 here in wellington. i think i might not get my car this year, i heard Shanghai had to close their gigafactory due to covid issues a few days ago, i believe they produce cars for Australia and NZ market?
Shut down for a few days afik.

NZ's entire year production is probably 3 days of shanghai work.

Feb orders should be done this year

The shipping schedule doesn't really work for those dates, unless our cars are already on the Paganella 2208 sailing or the Don Juan 2258 sailing, in which case I'd expect Vin numbers being allocated by now.

Nothing else stops at Shanghai and NZ before the Viking Passama 2211 sailing which would be a mid July to August delivery window.

Unless they have room on the Turandot or Morning Clara and add ours to those sailings and deliver to us before Australia I can't see them hitting those dates. (or a totally new sailing)

And the shipping schedule has just changed. The Turandot is now leaving shanghai 5 days later on the 7th May, and hits Auckland 10th June (previously wasn't coming to NZ) after 2 stops in Korea and 3 in Oz. This would mean cars delivered Mid June thru early July. Just in time for end of Q2.

So it means that if I had ordered in February 2022 might have to wait till September?
Nobody knows, depends how fast Shanghai is pumping out cars and where in the queue orders for Nz&Oz are, and how rhe supply of RHD parts are. Turandot departs end of this week, if you haven't heard of people here and in Oz getting VINs by the end of next week it could mean we've all been bumped to Q3 so they can catch up on orders elsewhere.

Until people starting getting VINs and calls to schedule delivery don't bother getting excited.

The TURANDOT is currently heading into dock in Shanghai after 4 days at anchor offshore. Our cars could be getting loaded in a few hours. Cross your fingers for VINs and delivery dates in here and the Ozzie forum about a week from now. Turandot is due in Auckland on the 10/6, but that might slip a day or two since she's already a day late in Shanghai.

Also, a ship that is headed for the UK is docked at the main Tesla loading Dock (Luchao), so that implies Shanghai gigafactory has been producing RHD cars recently, just another minor positive sign that our cars have probably been built.

Last edited:
And the shipping schedule has just changed. The Turandot is now leaving shanghai 5 days later on the 7th May, and hits Auckland 10th June (previously wasn't coming to NZ) after 2 stops in Korea and 3 in Oz. This would mean cars delivered Mid June thru early July. Just in time for end of Q2.
Hey FlyingKiwi, When did you order? I ordered 19/Mar (Wellington) and no EDD or VIN as yet.

Time is moving slowly lol

Hey FlyingKiwi, When did you order? I ordered 19/Mar (Wellington) and no EDD or VIN as yet.

Time is moving slowly lol
Late January, but changed the colour a bit later. Was told it wouldn't impact delivery. Don't have an EDD as such either, just the app saying 14-20 weeks from order date. But last time I spoke to a telsa rep they were still saying May/June.

The TURANDOT is at the wharf where NZ/Oz bound Teslas get loaded, so if they've made us some they're being loaded now. Cross fingers and wait.

Late January, but changed the colour a bit later. Was told it wouldn't impact delivery. Don't have an EDD as such either, just the app saying 14-20 weeks from order date. But last time I spoke to a telsa rep they were still saying May/June.

The TURANDOT is at the wharf where NZ/Oz bound Teslas get loaded, so if they've made us some they're being loaded now. Cross fingers and wait.
Ahh, I am a little behind you I think. The app doesn't show me any dates at all. I would guess if the TURANDOT is coming with some NZ stock, I will be way later :(

Cheers.

Ahh, I am a little behind you I think. The app doesn't show me any dates at all. I would guess if the TURANDOT is coming with some NZ stock, I will be way later :(

Cheers.
Don't tell the Ozzies this, but I'm (not so) secretly harbouring the theory that the bulk of the Teslas on the Turandot are coming to NZ, because the Turandot is the only ship on the schedule that makes it to NZ before end of quarter, but the Ozzies get the Morning Clara sailing direct from Shanghai in a couple of weeks. So Turandot could be loaded with Nz and Oz west coast cars that need a long transhipment voyage, and Morning Clara brings down all the Oz East Coast cars just in time for end of quarter deliveries.

Delusional? Maybe.. 😆

Don't tell the Ozzies this, but I'm (not so) secretly harbouring the theory that the bulk of the Teslas on the Turandot are coming to NZ, because the Turandot is the only ship on the schedule that makes it to NZ before end of quarter, but the Ozzies get the Morning Clara sailing direct from Shanghai in a couple of weeks. So Turandot could be loaded with Nz and Oz west coast cars that need a long transhipment voyage, and Morning Clara brings down all the Oz East Coast cars just in time for end of quarter deliveries.

Delusional? Maybe.. 😆
Heya,

I hope you are correct lol.

No change for me as yet. Let me know if you see any changes. I’m guessing if something changes, should be within the next week.

Reactions: FlyingKiwi
I just received a call from Tesla Auckland. Person on the phone said that due to COVID issues in Shanghai, they won’t be receiving any shipments into NZ this quarter, and that my order won’t arrive until second half of 2022, but they don’t know which month.

I ordered in late January, so seems like it’s going to be more than a 6 month wait in total. Was originally told it would arrive May-June. Quite disappointing.

I just received a call from Tesla Auckland. Person on the phone said that due to COVID issues in Shanghai, they won’t be receiving any shipments into NZ this quarter, and that my order won’t arrive until second half of 2022, but they don’t know which month.
Well, as birthday presents go that one is a bit of a turd. Guess these accessories better be shelved at the back of the office so SHMBO doesn't find them.

MIA
1652325903314.png

I ordered in late January, so seems like it’s going to be more than a 6 month wait in total. Was originally told it would arrive May-June. Quite disappointing.
I haven't received the call yet, the order placed on 23/1