Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can they explain why it is not a warranty repair?

I really think Tesla is getting themselves into a position where they are going to ruin their reputation by dissing owners on warranty claims. I know I don't recommend them to anyone now and I will have second thoughts about ever buying another.

They have already provided explanation last month.
screen-shot-2019-06-06-at-3-44-13-pm-png.416395

No car is ever perfect. I have had several cars in the past (Range Rover, Porsche, Infiniti, BMW) that had cosmetic defects such as dash lifting, door gaps, seat bubbles, finish rubbing off, lettering coming off buttons, ect. Rarely does a manufacturer ever warranty cosmetic issues. If this even has made you regret buying a Tesla, you are going to be similarly regret buying from every other car company as well.

The fact that Tesla investigated a fix and is providing it free of charge is an action that rarely would ever happen from any other company.

No car is ever perfect. I have had several cars in the past (Range Rover, Porsche, Infiniti, BMW) that had cosmetic defects such as dash lifting, door gaps, seat bubbles, finish rubbing off, lettering coming off buttons, ect.

These are poor analogies in a desperate attempt to create false narrative.

Take a minute to read the warranty, it explicitly states it covers material defects. That is exactly what we have here, a material defect. It makes no exclusion to cosmetic defects.

I don’t know what it says in Porsche, BMW, or anyone else’s warranty, but nobody here cares. It’s irrelevant and useless for this discussion.

This is a discussion about Tesla’s warranty to which is clearly not being honored as already deemed by arbitration.

These are poor analogies in a desperate attempt to create false narrative.

Take a minute to read the warranty, it explicitly states it covers material defects. That is exactly what we have here, a material defect. It makes no exclusion to cosmetic defects.

I don’t know what it says in Porsche, BMW, or anyone else’s warranty, but nobody here cares. It’s irrelevant and useless for this discussion.

This is a discussion about Tesla’s warranty to which is clearly not being honored as already deemed by arbitration.
You should take a minute to read the warranty and look up what constitutes a material defect. Basically a material defect are only items that impact safety and functionality. Cosmetic defects are not material defects and not covered under warranty.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of a covered Part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed due to defects in material or workmanship of the Part manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use.

As previously stated by Tesla, yellowing does not constitute a failure to perform any functions, therefore yellowing is not covered under warranty. This is really pretty basic.

People complaining that they will never buy a Tesla should care about what other manufactures do. It is pretty relevant since they claim they will never buy another Tesla, because it would mean they would have to buy another manufacture.

Even so, I don't agree the yellowing would be merely cosmetic. The display has a purpose which is to be viewed and viewed clearly, no different than a pair of glasses or a TV. No one would accept other similar devices with such a glaring defect. Even if it is only a slight yellowing, it is an optical defect. It doesn't have to render the display unusable to be a defect.
TVs commonly have clouding, dead pixels, banding, black crush, and other cosmetic issues that are not covered under warranty.

You should take a minute to read the warranty and look up what constitutes a material defect. Basically a material defect are only items that impact safety and functionality. Cosmetic defects are not material defects and not covered under warranty.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

“Failure” means the complete failure or inability of a covered Part to perform the function(s) for which it was designed due to defects in material or workmanship of the Part manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use.

JamesBrown - you really are embarrassing yourself here. You are quoting, referencing, and linking the wrong warranty. That's the "Parts, Body, and Paint Repair" warranty. The discussion revolves around the New Vehicle Warranty. I don't know if this is just an act, or simply obtuse, but I think the community would appreciate if you stopped spreading misinformation and conflating different topics.

Give it a rest.

JamesBrown - you really are embarrassing yourself here. You are quoting, referencing, and linking the wrong warranty. That's the "Parts, Body, and Paint Repair" warranty. The discussion revolves around the New Vehicle Warranty. I don't know if this is just an act, or simply obtuse, but I think the community would appreciate if you stopped spreading misinformation and conflating different topics.

Give it a rest.
Just a FYI, the touchscreen is considered a Tesla part, which would be covered under the Parts, Body, and Paint Repair warranty. If you bothered to actually read beyond the title, you'd even see it specifically mentions the touchscreen as one of the specific categories of parts that are covered. If you spent as much time reading as you did ranting, this really could be avoided.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just a FYI, the touchscreen is considered a Tesla part, which would be covered under the Parts, Body, and Paint Repair warranty. If you bothered to actually read beyond the title, you'd even see it specifically mentions the touchscreen.

Wow....just wow. Your entire argument revolves around a warranty that is not applicable to this discussion.

The very first line of the wrong warranty you continue to reference:
"This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty applies to Tesla branded Parts purchased directly from Tesla over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or Tesla Body Shops"

Remind me not to buy a TV from Tesla.
As far as I know every single Monitor/TV manufacturer has limitation on how many pixels can die before you can file a warranty claim (typically several). It is a common industry practice. No manufacture warranty covers 100% picture quality.
We Uncover the Dead Pixel Policies for Every Major LCD Maker - Tested.com

LG warranty also does specifically does not cover burn-in on their OLEDs, which is a common cosmetic defect. Unless the failure directly impacts the functionality of the TV, it likely is not covered.

Tesla is fixing it for free and somehow people still find a way to complain. I am amazed.

Dead pixels that don't impact the display. When enough pixels are dead it is covered by warranty. I've never heard of the other issues not being covered.
Even a single dead or stuck pixel impacts the display, especially on a monitor. Burn-in is the most common defect that is widely known as not being covered but many others are also routinly denied warranty service. Check out the AVS forum for a whole slew of people complaining that their warranty was denied.

Either way, Tesla is still fixing it for free. People should really learn to be grateful and stop complaining so much.

Even a single dead or stuck pixel impacts the display, especially on a monitor. Burn-in is the most common defect that is widely known as not being covered but many others are also routinly denied warranty service. Check out the AVS forum for a whole slew of people complaining that their warranty was denied.

Either way, Tesla is still fixing it for free. People should really learn to be grateful and stop complaining so much.

I actually laughed at this premise... The part is defective, the warranty covers defective parts. We're not talking about dead pixels, stop with this false equivalency BS, we're taking about yellow boarder that goes around the entire screen which impacts visibility and is a clear and obvious manufacturing defect to which Tesla has offered to charge us to replace the defective part or get a free UV treatment that is only temporary... How very noble of them... Then to top it off you think we should be grateful? Yikes...

Jeff

Tesla is fixing it for free and somehow people still find a way to complain. I am amazed.

Tesla is fixing it because they are obligated to fix it.

They sold a car with a warranty which is a promise that must be honored.
To Tesla's credit, they are honoring it in some places, but failing to honor it others. It's the mixed messaging that is the failure on their end.

At first I was dumbfounded by your responses, but now find myself with some odd admiration in how you can continue to defend the indefensible and carry on a debate against all facts staring you right in the face.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Tesla is fixing it because they are obligated to fix it.

They sold a car with a warranty which is a promise that must be honored.
To Tesla's credit, they are honoring it in some places, but failing to honor it others. It's the mixed messaging that is the failure on their end.

At first I was dumbfounded by your responses, but now find myself with some odd admiration in how you can continue to defend the indefensible and carry on a debate against all facts staring you right in the face.
Im sure your e-legal degree tells you that they are obligated to fix it, but Tesla's team of lawyers disagrees with you and they have already stated otherwise.

Im sure your e-legal degree tells you that they are obligated to fix it, but Tesla's team of lawyers disagrees with you and they have already stated otherwise.

Yet several people have won arbitration cases against Tesla for just this specific issue so I don't care what Tesla's lawyers think, clearly this is covered under the warranty Tesla provides. Seriously... Do you work for Tesla or something? Good lord...

Jeff