TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Joetnr1, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

This is infuriating.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Petra

Petra Member

You have got to be kidding me. After all this time, this is what they're going with? I mean, yes, there is the note about some sort of alternate solution being in the works... but, seriously?!?

Next, is Tesla going to start considering the old screen delamination issue (bubbles, leaking goo, etc.) to be merely cosmetic as well? :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  3. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75Du & P3D+

Well, any chance of me buying another Tesla has evaporated. To say this is not warranteed is utter BS.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  4. Haxster

Haxster Member

I wonder if their "alternative hardware solution" is to "yellow" the rest of the screen to match the yellow borders and then provide user tweak adjustments to dither the color and regions to match.

I certainly hope not...and hope that I haven't given them a really bad idea.

Anyone old enough to remember the "Prestone" screens?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. jee328

jee328 Member

Maybe a class action lawsuit is coming in their way.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  6. ysquared2

ysquared2 Member

Looks like the fix is coming mid-fall.

Two months ago they were saying the replacement screen will arrive in the summer.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. clyjr

clyjr Member

Here comes a huge black border to cover it up...

If the "healing process" actually works, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, we should all scream about it on social media to Elon and other media outlets... It's one thing to know that you are going to have some issues with a Tesla that will need to be taken care of, it's another to learn that they are no longer going to do the right thing and fix everything.

Next up, acceleration shudder... Hell, they already won't fix door alignment issues...

• Love x 1
  8. re04586

re04586 Member

Unreal. It will be up to us current owners to make enough noise for them to fix this. The "cosmetic anomaly" excuse is a real slap in the face.

• Like x 1
  9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Just wow... Although that is reflective of the current iteration of Tesla... If you don't own a Model 3 or aren't ready to buy a Model 3 you're just SOL... This is absolutely clearly a warranty item, period. Anything else is simply BS.

Jeff

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. dethman

dethman Member

just another "i don't give two sh*ts about you being a customer" policy by tesla.

i own TSLA and two of their cars, but honestly i still hope this company burns to the f*cking ground as an example of how not to treat people.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 2
  11. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

Looks to me like they are "asking" for more time to figure out how to fix the problem. It is good information that it doesn't affect the usability of the screen. If you don't want to wait then you can have the screen replaced at your own cost. They don't need to insult our intelligence by saying it's not a defect. Obviously it is or they wouldn't be working on a fix. We don't know who wrote the letter or what their position is at the company, but they might not be the sharpest tool. I don't think it's that big of a deal at this point. Give them six months or so and if they haven't figured out a reasonable solution, then burn them to the ground.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  12. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I had screen replaced once. Now it’s back so even if you replace screen, no guarantee yellow won’t return.

• Informative x 1
  13. G2019

G2019 Member

Seriously.. This should be replaced free under the warranty.

14. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Agreed. DO NOT spend your own money replacing this as it will return, for sure. I'm on screen two.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

I wouldn't worry. Just keep showing the crummy screens to all your friends and prospects.

• Disagree x 1
  16. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Sandiegodoug and Joeetnr1,

What is the revision level of the display that was replaced in your car?????????????????????????????????
    It will be on your invoice.

Very many had their screens replaced only to yellow again. For several years now...

The current "claim" from Tesla is that the Revision "D" screens are the newest (properly made? non yellowing?)
    and available for a fee...

If you had anything other than the Revision "D" part installed it is virtually guaranteed to yellow.

I would love for their new repair process to work - BUT if each car has to be REPEATEDLY processed, it will be
    unacceptable.

Shawn

• Informative x 1
  17. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Is the invoice under my Tesla account
    I tossed the paper one.

• Funny x 1
  18. David99

David99 Active Member

Sounds like they have too many bad screen and replacing them all under warranty would be too expensive. Not cool. Same with the bubbles on the old screens. It's happening to so many older cars. Tesla made the choice to replace (almost) all physical buttons with a large screen. They should have made sure that part had the most vigorous quality control. It's the spotlight of the car, it's where everything is controlled from.

• Love x 1
  19. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

#19 MXWing, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Screens are a problem and Tesla has to figure something out.

With that said, how much TSLA are you owning that you want them to burn to the ground? And if you are going to hold on those shares as the company is burning?

One or two shades cost more than a screen.

Burnt to ground companies probably don’t do battery warranties, maintain supercharger networks or release new software updates.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. dgatwood

dgatwood Member

So the only real questions in my mind are how long it will take for the revision D parts to start to turn yellow and whether it will happen before or after the end of their warranty period....