Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At any point along the way did you have to sign something that binds you to their ruling, thus preventing you from pursuing any litigation if ruled in their favor?

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
Per the warranty:

"NCDS’s decision is binding on Tesla but not on you. If you accept NCDS’s decision, Tesla will comply with the decision in a reasonable time not to exceed 30 days after Tesla receives notice of your acceptance. Remedies include but are not limited to repairs; reimbursement for repairs and incidental expenses, such as transporting costs; and repurchase or replacement of your vehicle. NCDS decisions do not include attorney fees or punitive, multiple, or consequential damages, except incidental damages as required by applicable law.

If you are not satisfied with the arbitrator’s decision or Tesla’s compliance, you may pursue your claim in binding arbitration on an individual basis in accordance with the Agreement to Binding Arbitration provided below."

Everyone is aware this is a tesla self inflicted issue right? Issues with the screen shouldn't be a surprise.

If the fix is car grade hardware then yeah waiting is the best option, anything less is a dice roll.

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

Not sure that I’d take that author at his word 100%. He has a “history”.

A Grain of Salt

Seeing as how heat doesn’t seem to be the consistent cause, light exposure doesn’t seem to be the consistent cause, age doesn’t seem to be the consistent cause, we are all speculating.

They told me they are delivering new cars with it and it’s normal. .

Wow, if this is really true what hubris. And stupid. Imagine a commercial comparing brand “P” with a Tesla and highlighting the yellow screen and Tesla’s statement that it’s normal. I call BS on the Delivery person. They can’t be trying to do this..

I think we need some new terms in this discussion to keep track of versioning & replacement means
Yellow - if on 1st screen

Yellow2A - have it on 2nd screen that I received via Arbitration
Yellow2W - have it on 2nd screen that I received via Warranty (free)
Yellow2P - have it on 2nd screen that I received via Purchase
Yellow2 - on 2nd screen, means unknown (default)

and so on

As someone who works in aerospace on LCD displays I can tell you this about what is being seen. This appears to be delamination. This is a very difficult thing to get right and much of our competition has issues with doing it correctly for long term use. There are many variables as to how fast it progresses and what makes it worse but heat is a major item that contributes to the degradation. I'm guessing that many of the ones that got bad quickly had sun on the screen with the display off which has a black screen and can easily get above 140 which is about the temperature where degradation increases exponentially.

I can tell you that even though it looks bad (and as a Model S owner I hate it too) it does not affect the operation of the screen or touch functions. It is totally cosmetic.

I agree Tesla should stand behind it and either put pressure on their supplier to get it right or get a new supplier. My Signature S didn't have the yellow border but it did get the bubbles (another delamination issue) which is actually way more annoying and has the possibility to make that area of the screen unreadable.

I am at about 3 1/4 years and 36k miles and so far (knock on wood) I don't see anything yet.

One fact that I don't know if it has been discussed yet:

I run my display on 60% fixed brightness all the time. It is set for Auto for night/day.

Because you have the goo type display which doesn't yellow but starts developing bubbles and leaking goo over time. Somewhere around 2017 this display was replaced by the yellowing one.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I agree Tesla should stand behind it and either put pressure on their supplier to get it right or get a new supplier. My Signature S didn't have the yellow border but it did get the bubbles (another delamination issue) which is actually way more annoying and has the possibility to make that area of the screen unreadable.
There are reports which claim that Tesla used display, which is not meant for automotive use, but industrial. If Tesla uses that display beyond its rated usage environment, it is not suppliers problem.

Tesla’s screen is Innolux G170J1-LE1.

There are reports which claim that Tesla used display, which is not meant for automotive use, but industrial. If Tesla uses that display beyond its rated usage environment, it is not suppliers problem.

From the spec sheet...looks like vibe/shock testing seems a little lacking:

upload_2019-6-27_8-23-24.png

I'm not sure the problem is as clear cut as heat or sun. My X was a showroom model transferred from Miami, so when the first screen yellowed a couple months after delivery my immediate assumption was that it was heat related to sitting in an SC lot, potentially with the battery drained enough that cabin overheat disabled.

When the second screen yellowed a year later, I wasn't so sure about the heat. It's garaged at home and even when traveling to customer sites, I'm almost always in a parking garage. Exposure to direct sun is pretty much limited to store trips with the longest maybe seeing a movie or something. Prior to getting the enhanced security system installed, it was always with overheat enabled and never with the battery low enough for it to turn off.

I pivoted to thinking it might be some sort of screen burn issue, especially since the top bar lined up so cleanly with the top row of icons. It was more visible in daytime street mode, so I switched to satellite view to vary the background colors more. Now that the yellow bars are returning on the 3rd screen, I'm even less sure of the cause. I even left the screen protector off of the 3rd screen thinking that the extra layer on the screen might be trapping heat.

I don't think it's any sort of screen burn, because the yellow is visible with the screen off if the sun hits it just right. It definitely seems like some sort of discoloration in either a plastic or adhesive layer. I think it might have to do with either the heat retention of the metal screen frame or perhaps light reflected off the bright trim. Metal trim definitely absorbs and radiates a lot of heat.

I'd be curious if people with the graphite trim still have screen yellowing and if it's exclusive to MCU1 or if it affects MCU2 as well.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'd be curious if people with the graphite trim still have screen yellowing and if it's exclusive to MCU1 or if it affects MCU2 as well.

You did not see graphite because it wasn't there, comrade!

Chernobyl reference aside, and as someone that has screen yellowing myself, I wonder if the SpaceX Dragon Capsule has screen yellowing also. I bet you it doesn't. So we should get the same supplier as SpaceX.

Because you have the goo type display which doesn't yellow but starts developing bubbles and leaking goo over time. Somewhere around 2017 this display was replaced by the yellowing one.

What are the part numbers for the various screens? I just had mine replaced due to the bubbling (assumed goo ooze - for lack of technical terms) with part number SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-A). Is this the model that has the yellowing problem?

From the spec sheet...looks like vibe/shock testing seems a little lacking:

View attachment 423863

Here is the definitive article... Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F05%2FTeslaMCU.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

scheduled mobile service in part, to replace the screen This is part of the email I received this morning about the screen

Good morning!

We have received your mobile service request. The touchscreen repair is not yet available at this time. We will note this on your account, but please note this will not be included on this service ticket due to their not being a fix

I have mixed feelings about this. If the new ones have the same problem it seems futile to replace it. I had something like this happen to a computer screen about 20 years ago. And nothing since so I think it is reasonable to assume that it should not happen to a 100k car. We may love our cars too much. If this happened to any other car and t was told they didn’t have a fix I would want to drag them to the court house..

I Replied To the email telling them that I wanted the screen replaced. I mentioned the arbitration case and the fact that they have changed a ton of them under warranty..

I will have to wait and see if they even respond to my email. I owned a few crappy cars in the 70’s that had every problem a car could have and no matter what the problem was they would fix it.. I was never told they didn’t have a fix for it. Most often they couldn’t fix anything so they replaced everything.