Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Kids’ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am a new Tesla owner. I received my Model X on Dec. 15, and I’m loving it! I named it McFly. It’s a 5 seat, 75D Pearl White with ultra white interior and carbon fiber upgrades, premium package and Enhanced Autopilot. Tow package came included on my build. I took advantage of the $1k discount from the referral on it last day, and ordered on Halloween night.
I have a 4yr old daughter who loves the car and the doors! We “delivered” her a Model S for kids for her birthday, this past Thursday. I had been wanting to get her one for a while, but decided to wait and get it after we got a real Tesla, so that she would really understand what it was. I also waited for the refreshed fascia and the white option to come back.
Funny coincidence, we got the Radio Flyer delivered to our house the same day we got our X.
Since I wasn’t giving it to her until a month+ later, I decided to get “creative” with it. So, I converted my basement utility room into a makeshift body shop. I decided to make my Model S dreams a reality through my daughter. LOL. I guess I’ve turned into the guy version of a dance mom. Whatev’s.
I’ll attach some pics of the build.
The best part of this whole baby Tesla project was the “delivery”. Luckily, I live about 10 minutes from the Tesla SC in Milford, CT. I just recently had some paint correction done, due from delivery. So I struck up a conversation with the GM, Alan. I told him about my “little project”. He was very generous to offer to have it delivered to her on site in the showroom! How awesome was that!?
I would like to thank everyone at the Milford SC, for going above and beyond to make my daughter’s birthday extra special. Alan, Kelly and Stephen and the other Techs ( I’m sorry... I missed your names ) took time out of their busy work day to deliver her Tesla and sing and wish her a happy birthday. They even gifted her a couple of Tesla T-shirts and a Model S Hot Wheels. THANK YOU!
You read about how great the service is from Tesla, but this was a step above. Mind you, the Radio Flyer isn’t even a Tesla product! I am so appreciative of this experience and I wanted to share it with you all. I absolutely made the right choice with a Tesla for our family.
So, for the build, I decided to do a premium upgrade package. Because, well, if daddy can get PUP on his Tesla , then so should she. Ultra-white interior with carbon fiber and Upgraded Sound System. I was thinking about going “ Autopilot “ with an RC conversion, but... I’m not that skilled. Maybe at a later date.
I spray painted the seat, side panels and steering wheel. I wrapped the dash, steering wheel and accented the side panels with carbon fiber vinyl. I mounted a small Bluetooth speaker under the dash with some magnets and an iPad mini on the left side of the steering wheel. I have to re-engineer the iPad mount. The 3M adhesive failed behind the magnet. I’ll post pics when I get it done. She got an old iPad Mini out of the deal, so she didn’t mind!
I’m a Chef by trade. I have no automotive or body shop experience. So, all of this was a challenge for me. I didn’t know where to start, so I took apart the steering wheel and masked the side panels with tape to make the general shape, measured and mirrored the dimensions to the other side. Painting took me a couple of tries. A couple of YouTube how-to videos later, and I got it right. The wrapping was not that difficult. Again; YouTube to the rescue!
The techs at the SC were impressed with the work. They never seen a modified baby Tesla. I’m a maniacal perfectionist, so I only see the flaws. But at the end of the day, it’s just a toy. I am happy to have taken the time to modify a gift with my hands for my daughter and make it that much more special.
I won’t post pics from the delivery for privacy reasons. I will share, however, that my daughter loved the car and sang along to all the Disney songs blasting from the speakers. Since it’s cold outside, she won’t be playing with it much, right now. She had a blast at the SC, though. She rode around in it for about 30 minutes in the nice warm showroom.
29FF4C41-C3D2-4FC8-8376-2CA93CA015DB.jpeg
6F62CFFE-46AB-4059-A3EB-FDB4F51D9847.jpeg
D4F2E6D9-492D-400D-9725-495301B5F740.jpeg
6735D60C-CDFA-434D-9BF3-89CE008D81BE.jpeg
067B5379-6ECA-4978-A453-69CBBAC90740.jpeg
3DCF5B0F-5EFC-44E4-958E-EC56F3AA5A24.jpeg
D32E35EB-EFBA-4D71-8208-C5A955878E3D.jpeg