Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

upgraded rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, just ordered a tesla model S long range plus.....and of course lead time is a bit, but have a car thats close by (with upgraded color I wanted ) but doesn't have the rims or FSD....both seem to be easily upgradeable.......does it make sense to get that one and upgrade the rims later ? or should I do it and just wait for the customized order.

You can typically get a better price from an inventory car than from a custom order. Because Tesla wheels are extremely expensive I recommend buying the stock 19” with all season tires. If you want bigger rims with high performance tires get aftermarket.

You can typically get a better price from an inventory car than from a custom order. Because Tesla wheels are extremely expensive I recommend buying the stock 19” with all season tires. If you want bigger rims with high performance tires get aftermarket.
Which all season tires do you recommend?
Just got 2020 performance and it came with tempest wheels. I don't even know if the tires are all season or if they're summer sport tires. I am leaning towards summer so I'd like to know about all season tires

What do you mean better price for an inventory car? I thought they don't discount the price. Unless you mean one that was used for test drives or a service loaner? In the NYC location they had one used for test drives with 1000 miles on it and 2 curbed wheels only discounted $1500 I think.

Also ordering and soon and any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Which all season tires do you recommend?
Just got 2020 performance and it came with tempest wheels. I don't even know if the tires are all season or if they're summer sport tires. I am leaning towards summer so I'd like to know about all season tires
I have had good service from Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires, both in 245/45R-19 sizes.

The Michelins were once offered as a paid upgrade when buying a new Model S in 2014. Had them on my previous coil-sprung Model S 85, put about 30K miles on them. Smooth ride and good traction.

The Goodyears weren’t on a Tesla, but a Chevy Impala (FWD). They lasted for 50K miles. Traction and ride were similar to the Michelin Primacy tires but the rubber seemed harder. A bit less grip when pushed hard.

Reactions: umair239
I have had good service from Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires, both in 245/45R-19 sizes.

The Michelins were once offered as a paid upgrade when buying a new Model S in 2014. Had them on my previous coil-sprung Model S 85, put about 30K miles on them. Smooth ride and good traction.

The Goodyears weren’t on a Tesla, but a Chevy Impala (FWD). They lasted for 50K miles. Traction and ride were similar to the Michelin Primacy tires but the rubber seemed harder. A bit less grip when pushed hard.
Just make sure that whatever tires you get they are rated for the weight of your car. Model s are extremely heavy and you can't just throw any set of tires on them.

Just make sure that whatever tires you get they are rated for the weight of your car. Model s are extremely heavy and you can't just throw any set of tires on them.
Lol your profile pic
This reminds me of the issue I'm having with autopilot. I have had it turn off on me 4 times in two trips since I got the car just two days ago. I am surprised why it doesn't beep before it takes the autopilot away. Out of no where I got the warning like in your profile pic lol and I was out of autosteer for rest of the trip. Had to stop, park and open the door to get it back. It's frustrating

Lol your profile pic
This reminds me of the issue I'm having with autopilot. I have had it turn off on me 4 times in two trips since I got the car just two days ago. I am surprised why it doesn't beep before it takes the autopilot away. Out of no where I got the warning like in your profile pic lol and I was out of autosteer for rest of the trip. Had to stop, park and open the door to get it back. It's frustrating
You’ll learn how to keep it happy. I instinctively bump the volume wheel a click up and down periodically as that satisfies it. Or I hang my hand on the left side of the wheel. I haven’t used anything to weight one side like some people do, but I’ve thought about it. I’ve also been really happy I had my hands on the wheel a few times.

Question: Should I order staggered or without staggered tires for my performance model s on 19" tempest wheels? Tire rack has both options available but I can't figure it out which ones to order....
19-inch rims were never available as staggered, only 21s. However, the Tempests are new. I think they are all the same width but am not 100% sure, only about 90%.

I think they are all the same width but am not 100% sure, only about 90%.
Here is some light on it:
7698DFC4-8B90-4D50-BAAB-C7845601AE2A.jpeg

F22F3F4B-1C4E-4C19-B37C-214E6CAE3A89.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a set of brand new staggered Arachnid wheels with new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for $2,800 a couple of years ago. Great deal IMHO since I sold my refurbished Turbine wheels for ~ $800 so my net cost was $2,000... not much more than buying 4 staggered Michelin PSS tires! Arachnids are also forged (not cast) so they're both much lighter and stronger than the Turbine whees they replaced... and look much more striking too!

Buying Tesla wheels should eliminate fitment or compatibility issues that some aftermarket wheels exhibit. The last thing you want when having driving issues is Tesla technicians suspect your aftermarket wheels are the cause... and refusing to work on your issue.

IMG_4839.JPG

fullsizeoutput_18eb.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay