Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading to 75 just for resale value..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MS60 last week. I'm kind of bummed that I'll have to spend an extra $2000 on something I could have gotten for the same price I paid, had I waited to order. But anyways.... I don't think I need the range as I charge my car in my garage every night. I was wondering if any of you are planning to upgrade just for the purpose of increasing the resale value of the car. Do you think you (or we) will recover the $2000 spent on the upgrade when it's time to sell the car?

I think you have to ask yourself when you plan on selling the car. While the barrier to entry into a new Model S is a 75kW battery then you will see a premium for the 75kW battery. But if Tesla ever decides to increase the minimum battery capacity of a new Model S to say 80 or 85kW, then I believe both the 60kW and 75kW instantly become less desirable and the disparity between their respective values decreases.

The point is, it's very difficult to predict what Tesla will do in the future. And I do not believe you would necessarily make up the 2k the longer you wait to sell your car.

I took delivery of my MS60 last week. I'm kind of bummed that I'll have to spend an extra $2000 on something I could have gotten for the same price I paid, had I waited to order. But anyways.... I don't think I need the range as I charge my car in my garage every night. I was wondering if any of you are planning to upgrade just for the purpose of increasing the resale value of the car. Do you think you (or we) will recover the $2000 spent on the upgrade when it's time to sell the car?

Yes - ish. You will lose the same by upgrading, assuming you are going to own you car for around 6 years or less. Above that, you will won't quite get it all back. But you might need the extra range as your battery capacity drops if you own for over 6 years anyway.

I think most 60MS owners should upgrade. Not that it will make you money, but it will cost you the same in the long run whether you upgrade or not. Might as well have the extra capacity now.

Wouldn't the buyer just figure that they could upgrade for 2k into their purchase price? Actually, might make it attractive to get a 60 that hadn't been upgraded yet --> you know the battery was never charged to 100%.
And, if you upgrade, but never use the range, you are throwing money away. You never know what could happen.. like getting car totaled, stolen (yes, unlikely), etc... Let the future buyer ante up the 2k