Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upload data (one of the geeks)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of someone who is very remote using a satellite link.
Hey Ringi, yeah. I get that there’re are plenty of scenarios where you might get stung. But surely if you have a high data price, you don’t let anything you’re not in control of connect to it. Being on one of these high price capped data packages means you behave like you did with, say, US data roaming 10 years ago. You turn everything that you’re not in control of to ‘off’. A software update has to be a couple of Gb and I believe maps update can be as much as 7gb. So if I was price conscious, I’d have it only connect in a McDonald’s car park to their free WiFi!

I have that same issue with my Model Y. I turned off data sharing but it still seems to upload more than 350MB of data after just 25 or 30 miles of driving. I am happy to share my data with Tesla but, living in a rural area, my Internet bandwidth isn't as good as many in urban locations. It would be nice if I could schedule the uploads to happen only during the night when there is no other activity. I have tried blocking the Tesla client in my router during the daytime hours but then the car does not connect automatically to my wi-fi at all.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? Have you found a solution?

What would surprise me more would be having a £40k car and capped Home broadband! Is that even a thing anymore?

we’re heading into a period when everything is connected, from your fridge to your pets. It’s going to be pretty hard to manage life on a limited data unless one relocates to a log cabin. I know mobiles have caps but surely someone would know this if they used it as a WiFi hotspot?

There remain many locations in the uk where the options are not so good.

Over the past 4 years we have had to use alternatives to the appalling landline broadband. Initially it was a heavily capped and expensive satellite connection. Then we moved onto a 4g router but that was also expensive on data and capped. It’s only relatively recently that unlimited data became available at a reasonable price on 4g. I understand from people in the same valley that the landline broadband has now improved significantly but it’s still only a third of the 4g speed and is now more expensive than unlimited mobile data!

I took it hard having moved from a “fibre to the home” location!

Our broadband was recently upgraded, we now have a fibre cabinet in the village, so I switched to FTTC. Still really not "broadband" as some know it, though, our speed increased from around 3 - 4 Mb/s up to between 14 - 16Mb/s. Switching to FTTC also removed our old data cap we had on ADSL, not that it mattered as it would take a lifetime to reach it at those speeds. We have no mobile signal here, so the option of using a 4G router isn't available, and anyway, the nearest mobile signal about a mile away isn't yet 4G anyway. Our neighbour has a satellite broadband system, but it's expensive, plus there's a lot of lag in it. They've found it hopeless when trying to make Skype calls during lockdown, as the delay makes it very hard to maintain a conversation.

I've been trying to get enough people on our side of the stream interested in FTTP to warrant the cost of running a fibre over to our side of the valley. The cost of that is prohibitive for just one FTTP connection, but shared amongst the half a dozen of us this side would make a big difference. Even getting a copper wire over the a stream would help, as we're only about 300m from the fibre cabinet, but have a 4 - 5km copper run to it, as the wires go up one side of the valley and then back down the other.

Our neighbour has a satellite broadband system, but it's expensive, plus there's a lot of lag in it. They've found it hopeless when trying to make Skype calls during lockdown, as the delay makes it very hard to maintain a conversation.

Ha ha ... don't I know it! On satellite I used to measure lag times that were in the thousands of milliseconds ... in other words, seconds ... often around 3 seconds! It was £65 a month for 25GB of data and absolutely hopeless.