Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper back support seat options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My girlfriend is having a hard time in the passenger seat. The head read pushes her head at a downward angle. We've determine this could be fixed with a flatter seat or filling in the concave part near the upper back.

Anyone else have this and a solution? The internet is full of lower back cushions but I can't find upper back.

My girlfriend is having a hard time in the passenger seat. The head read pushes her head at a downward angle. We've determine this could be fixed with a flatter seat or filling in the concave part near the upper back.

Anyone else have this and a solution? The internet is full of lower back cushions but I can't find upper back.
This one works well

I agree with your girlfriend, at least in regards to the drivers side seat. It's too concave at the upper back portion. This is exacerbated by the fact that the suspension and headrest are both firm and if my head rests against the headrest, it keeps bouncing off the headrest as I go over small bumps. So I can't find a comfortable driving position.

I bought this:

Placed it at the upper portion of the seat to fill in the part that's concave. Surprisingly, even 1.25" is too thick. So, I used scissors to cut away at the foam insert to make it thinner. I also tapered the bottom, basically turning the rectangular cross section into a triangle, so that the bottom blends with the lower portion of the seat.

So far, it's significantly more comfortable than anything else I've tried but it's clear that it's still too thick and needs to be trimmed even more.

I suspect even just a 1/2" thick patch of extra interior foam at the top portion of the seat would make the seat dramatically more comfortable. But I don't think I want to attempt this.

Reactions: Skavatar
I always wondered: Does strapping things around the sides of the seats interfere with airbags that may be deployed from within the seats? I think there may be an airbag or two that come out of the seat (I could be wrong).

While typing this I found there are side airbags that come out of the outer part of the seats. So I would be careful strapping stuff to the seats:

I don't have a solution. But I can't believe that Tesla keeps putting these horribly designed seats in the cars. They are slippery, they offer no side support, the headrest is an abomination. It's a complete ergonomic fail and they are my biggest gripe with my M3P which is otherwise a very capable day to day car.
And it is a good thing that people keep complaining about it, hopefully Tesla will listen and something will change for future versions.

have you tried reversing the headrest? i test drove a Y LR and the first thing that bothered me was the headrest pushing my head forward. i'm 6' tall and have chronic upper back pain. please let us know what your solution was. TY

did some searching and found this
@Georgesb2

I reversed the headrest, but that put the headrest too far back. Felt incredibly unsafe.

I tried just about everything I could think of short of adding cushion internal to the seat. Here is where I am at currently:

For some reason, the seat back is way more comfortable when my butt is raised just a half an inch or so. I bought this and it's been amazing:

Now, the seat back is comfortable. However, this does not fix the fact that the suspension and headrest are both firm and my head bounces off of it.

Option 1: Lean the seat back a bit more and just don't rest my head on the headrest. This is ok, but I just can't feel relaxed while driving without head/neck support.

Option 2: I tried a couple headrest cushions and settled on this one:

I use the straps that put it in the highest position, and then removed like half or maybe more than half of the cushion material from inside. Now, my head can rest comfortably with a small amount of cushion between it and the headrest. But, it's still a bit bulky and not as comfortable as if the built-in headrest was more cushiony.

At this point I'm alternating between options 1 and 2, trying to figure out which I prefer, while always using the seat cushion.

It's super frustrating though. I freaking love this car, but like, car seats are the easiest thing I would expect to be able to get right. I have driven lots of different model rental cars through the year and this is by far the most uncomfortable seat I have ever experienced.

have you tried reversing the headrest? i test drove a Y LR and the first thing that bothered me was the headrest pushing my head forward. i'm 6' tall and have chronic upper back pain. please let us know what your solution was. TY

did some searching and found this
@Georgesb2
Yes, I tested reversing the headrest.
I am too tall with a tall upper torso and 6'1" overall height. My hat size is XL.
The headrest pushes my head too far forward.
Reversing is a good test, but it is too far backwards.
I pulled the headrest out and bent the two metal rods/pipes, then reinstalled it.
I am very happy with this solution.
But...
I also modified the seat bottom. I posted videos on this on YouTube.
And I modified the back/upper to regain adequate flatness and lumbar support.
If you want to modify the back/upper to accomplish these things, let me know. I've written up how I've done it. I haven't made a comprehensive video on that yet though.
The combination of a rebuilt seat bottom, a rebuilt seat back/upper, and a bent headrest and I no longer have back or hip or leg or other pains.
The specific changes for only upper back pain is the addition of some foam to the upper/back of the seat. I did this from behind. That plus the bending of the headrest back.

• Informative
Here is an update from my experience: I tried copying the recommended set position from the Tesla manual as closely as possible. It's further back than I'm used to, and more upright. I also have to raise the seat more to get my legs at the same angle.

I noticed that keeping the seat more upright allows me to be more relaxed while driving. Reclining too much was putting strain on the front of my neck during acceleration. So, I tweaked the seat back angle until it was reclining just enough to mostly avoid neck strain while also avoiding my head hitting the headrest. I think it's roughly at the recommended 100-110 degrees or so.

Then, I slid the seat a bit more forward to be closer to the steering wheel. Just a personal preference thing, I am not used to having my arms too extended.

Pretty happy with where I am now, with a combination of the cushion on the seat bottom and the dialing in of the seat position. Was thinking of resorting to aftermarket suspension to get a smoother ride that would allow me to rest my head on the headrest, but I think I finally have a solution that is comfortable.

Solutions to: Long trip seat pains, back pain, hip pain, lower back issues, in my '22 Tesla Model 3 P

I have already written about the Tesla seats and commented many times. I have completely redesigned and rebuilt my own Tesla Model 3 seats, both the lower and upper. I've read books on back pain. Here I just wanted to share my latest discovery, exercises while driving for long trips. I've also posted numerous videos on YouTube. But here I want to explain what I've learned most recently.

This past weekend I took a very long trip. 14 hours one way on Thursday and 12 hours another way on Sunday night.

In spite of having completely redesigned seats, after about 8 hours, my back was feeling fatigued. I could not blame the seat anymore.

I had been watching YouTube videos on back pain and solutions. One I found to be very interesting and I used it with 100% success on this trip.

While in the seat, needing quick relief, I tighten my stomach muscles isometrically for a few moments, push my and flatten my lower back into the seat, and repeat as many times as necessary. I usually would do it about 5 reps at a time.

At each Supercharger, I get out of the car, walk around, stretch, and DO SITUPS! With a focus of flattening my back into the ground.

When you do the sit-ups and the in car tension exercises, you specifically try to tighten your stomach and pull it in so much that you push your lower back into the seat or into the ground. “Flatten out your lower back while tightening your stomach muscles.”

I found this to be a nearly instant cure and I highly recommend trying it!

Here's some reference videos:

Back Pain Relief Exercises & Stretches - Ask Doctor Jo
(Note: I did just the first exercise of this video. But when you get to a rest stop or Supercharger, you might want to try all of these. I think the prayer stretch would be quite helpful.)

How to Fix Low Back Pain (FOREVER).
The “hollow hold” is extremely useful and can be done while driving!
Strengthen your core (abdominals) while pushing your lower back into the seat.

6 Exercises To Relieve Back Pain In 9 Minutes - FOLLOW ALONG
Do the posterior pelvic tilt.

I sincerely hope my suggestions help you as much as it's done for me. I definitely recommend rebuilding your seat as well. But maybe in some cases just these simple movements will allow you to take longer trips in your Tesla!

What helped with work back problems was to make sure I worked while leaning at least a little back. What is your posture while driving? Are you leaning back into the seat or a more upright position? I've given the same advice to several with back pain and they have indicated it helps.