Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upside/Downside to going from stock 20x9.5 to 20x9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Model Y with 20x9.5 induction wheels. There's a set of wheels that I'm currently eyeing but they only have 20x9 or 20x10.5. I want to go with a square setup so leaning more towards the 20x9. These are .5 thinner than so wondering what the upsides and downside to going with a more narrower wheel by .5".

What exactly are you trying to do? Sounds like you have a staggered factory 21" setup and want to go 20" square? Will this be your permanent setup or are the 20" for winter tires? 9" wide will be fine, actually protect the wheel from curb rash slightly more. Just make sure centre bore, lug nut pattern are the same and offset is close. You can cheat a little on offset though.

Reactions: CHB2704
What exactly are you trying to do? Sounds like you have a staggered factory 21" setup and want to go 20" square? Will this be your permanent setup or are the 20" for winter tires? 9" wide will be fine, actually protect the wheel from curb rash slightly more. Just make sure centre bore, lug nut pattern are the same and offset is close. You can cheat a little on offset though.
I have a Y LR so my current factory setup is 20x9.5 45 offset squared. This will be a permanent setup. If I go with the 20x9, I would be pushing the offset to around 30. I know going to a narrower wheel will shave some weight and reusing the stock 255 tires will give more curb protection but wondering what the effects of going to a narrower wheels with a more negative offset will have on traction and handling?

With a 9 inch width wheel you are limited to 265 width tires. With 20" wheels, maximum tire width you could go up to on a square set up on MYP is 275 tires.....
I have a Y LR. Are the wheel wells on a MYP different size? I am looking to go 20x9 squared. Sorry a bit confused, you said max on a 9” would be 265 but then you say 275 for a 20”?

I have a Y LR so my current factory setup is 20x9.5 45 offset squared. This will be a permanent setup. If I go with the 20x9, I would be pushing the offset to around 30. I know going to a narrower wheel will shave some weight and reusing the stock 255 tires will give more curb protection but wondering what the effects of going to a narrower wheels with a more negative offset will have on traction and handling?
Not following you here. What do you mean by pushing the offset to around 30? An offset is a fixed dimension when manufactured, what is the offset of the wheel you want to buy? 255 tires are the same size as stock, ground contact is the same so no perceptible difference in handling. All you have done in the end is shaved a 1/2" off the stock wheel width which means the tires will protrude 1/4" more, both on the inside and outside of the wheel compared to the wider stock wheel. Depending on the offset your new wheel has, it will determine how far in or out the wheel will sit once bolted to the car.

I have a Y LR. Are the wheel wells on a MYP different size? I am looking to go 20x9 squared. Sorry a bit confused, you said max on a 9” would be 265 but then you say 275 for a 20”?
What I meant to say was two things 1) With a 9 inch width wheel you are limited to 265 width tires normally 2) Thought you have a MYP.... so this not applicable to you. What I have seen is that with a 20 inch wheel on a square set up on MYP the max tire width is 275 ( I am sure it is with wider width wheels than 9 inch)