Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square 20" wheel setup for refresh Model S - what do I need to know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a 2022 MSLR with the 19" Tempests. Not a fan of the plastic wheel cover look so starting to think about what to replace them with. Leaning towards 20" square setup, maybe TSportline TS5s or similar.

Are there any downsides with going 20" square? I'm worried about the front wheels/tires being wider than stock, and impact on driving dynamics or added wear and tear on suspension components. I've seen one post recently about something like a control arm failure being attributed to this.

And with the rear wheels/tires being narrower than stock, do I have to use spacers or something to avoid the tires not being flush with the (wider) body? Or is the half inch not really noticeable?

Anything else I should know?

There are several sizes for the TS5s. I put the 20x10" square setup on my Plaid with better summer tires and could not be happier with it.

You will lose some range compared to the OEM 19" Tempests, but on the other hand, the TS5s are more open and the brakes will cool down better.

Not the best pics but that's the wheels.

Attachments

• 20160701_182407.jpg
    20160701_182407.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 20160626_112827.jpg
    20160626_112827.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 270
  • 20160821_102406.jpg
    20160821_102406.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 270
Just picked up a 2022 MSLR with the 19" Tempests. Not a fan of the plastic wheel cover look so starting to think about what to replace them with. Leaning towards 20" square setup, maybe TSportline TS5s or similar.

Are there any downsides with going 20" square? I'm worried about the front wheels/tires being wider than stock, and impact on driving dynamics or added wear and tear on suspension components. I've seen one post recently about something like a control arm failure being attributed to this.

And with the rear wheels/tires being narrower than stock, do I have to use spacers or something to avoid the tires not being flush with the (wider) body? Or is the half inch not really noticeable?

Anything else I should know?

With the Model S LR, you can consider doing 20x9.5 square with 255/40/20 or 265/40/20. We have done few testing on the S LR with 265 square and the 1/4 miles run are exactly the same as factroy setup.

Not only you are getting the same performance as the factroy setup, you will also get a better effieiecny, lower cost on tire ,and longer lasting thread since you can do rotation.

As far as fitment, you can skip the spacer and go with rear adjustable camber arm. You are able to achieve the same flushness front and rear once you bring back the rear camber to around -0.5 degree.

Example of the 20" square setup we did:
52956479849_89f689e79a_o.jpg

52956786693_568a19487d_k.jpg

Reactions: mcvaughan and Sam1
Honestly, it doesn't really matter. If you are using the estimated range, Tesla isn't even close. If you really care about it, do the 21" and it will be more likely your real-world range rather than eternally optimistic. In general all the tire diameters that will fit are pretty close to about 28".

Reactions: GeoX750 and Sam1
Honestly, it doesn't really matter. If you are using the estimated range, Tesla isn't even close. If you really care about it, do the 21" and it will be more likely your real-world range rather than eternally optimistic. In general all the tire diameters that will fit are pretty close to about 28".
Great to know and agreed. We’re eternal realists as Tesla owners. :)

Reactions: DayTrippin
With the Model S LR, you can consider doing 20x9.5 square with 255/40/20 or 265/40/20. We have done few testing on the S LR with 265 square and the 1/4 miles run are exactly the same as factroy setup.

Not only you are getting the same performance as the factroy setup, you will also get a better effieiecny, lower cost on tire ,and longer lasting thread since you can do rotation.

As far as fitment, you can skip the spacer and go with rear adjustable camber arm. You are able to achieve the same flushness front and rear once you bring back the rear camber to around -0.5 degree.

Example of the 20" square setup we did:
View attachment 955424

1View attachment 955425
Wow this setup looks great! I’m looking to go from stock 21” to aftermarket 20” square setup. I’m so tired of expensive tires lasting less than 8K miles. Is this a 20x9.5 all the way around? My 2020 Models S currently being lowered an issue?

Wow this setup looks great! I’m looking to go from stock 21” to aftermarket 20” square setup. I’m so tired of expensive tires lasting less than 8K miles. Is this a 20x9.5 all the way around? My 2020 Models S currently being lowered an issue?
@MODEL+ is correct. 20x9 would be a better fit with 245/40/20 tire and no clearance issue on the 2020 Model S. The same 20x9 can also be build to be compatible with the refresh Model S LR if you ever switch to the new one in the future. (Just need to upsize the tire to 255/40/20 for the Refresh Model S)

Reactions: MODEL+
@MODEL+ is correct. 20x9 would be a better fit with 245/40/20 tire and no clearance issue on the 2020 Model S. The same 20x9 can also be build to be compatible with the refresh Model S LR if you ever switch to the new one in the future. (Just need to upsize the tire to 255/40/20 for the Refresh Model S)
If we are happy with 19" rims, what setup would you recommend in a 2023 Model S? I'd like to be able to rotate tires but don't want to create any issues changing from factory setup either. Thanks.

If we are happy with 19" rims, what setup would you recommend in a 2023 Model S? I'd like to be able to rotate tires but don't want to create any issues changing from factory setup either. Thanks.

if you like the 19”, but would want to run a square setup, either 19x9.5 (LR) or 19x10.5 (Plaid) square. You can install shims or camber arm on the rear to reduce some camber, and to achieve flush look front and rear.

Not 19 but 20” square setup for example ( stock links with rear adjustable camber arm)

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363