Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upsize to 22” wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MX came with the standard 20” wheels and Im looking to upsize to the factory 22”. Ive read about the mileage loss but with the daily duties this will handle it wont be an issue

Ive read about the MXs with 22” tire/wheel system calibration and of course is default if your car came with 22s standard. So the question is - Do I need to install any firmware update to upsize to 22”?

thank you for any useful input

The MX came with the standard 20” wheels and Im looking to upsize to the factory 22”. Ive read about the mileage loss but with the daily duties this will handle it wont be an issue

Ive read about the MXs with 22” tire/wheel system calibration and of course is default if your car came with 22s standard. So the question is - Do I need to install any firmware update to upsize to 22”?

thank you for any useful input

In the vehicle settings, you can switch between the 19, 20, and 22 wheels. The X will reboot and will adjust the vehicle's displays appropriately, and account for the different range.

@z168 I am doing the exact same with a MY11/2016 that I just took delivery of this past Sunday. I have an appointment to do the tire swap on 06-Mar, but if you have any feedback before then, I'd be keen to hear about it. My assumption is as long as I am on the latest 2020 software update, there will be no issues.

@z168 ...My assumption is as long as I am on the latest 2020 software update, there will be no issues.
This, 100%. Make sure that you do it (update wheel size) as soon as the job is completed. The system will update and the entire vehicle will restart itself, which takes a few minutes. If you do it in traffic (even while idle), you'll be sorry that you did so. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: joelgut
For what it's worth, I have the 22's and while they look great, I'm looking at getting a smaller set of rims, probably the 19s, for travel.
I did this as well, but it was more for the winter climate I was (am) about to move to. Wheel size was no match for the inefficiency due to cold temps. At this point, 22's will be on the vehicle from 1 May, to 1 Nov.

how do the 19s look? Post a pic when you can

We dont have snow here but should I keep the factory 20s then? the MX is a daily driver. Long distances I choose to rent

Any EV with 200 miles of actual range is going to be acceptable for most people as a commuter.
Today a car with 200 miles of range can travel interstate as well.

Other drawbacks of big rims:
  • They slightly degrade ride quality.
  • Tires are more $, and have fewer options.
  • Tire life is poor.
  • Curbing and potholes are a bigger problem.
  • Tow rating is reduced. Personally I would not tow with low profiles at all.
When my OEM 20's are worn, I will find some black 19's when it's time for new tires, then mount snow tires on the 20's for skiing or off-the-beaten-path.

Last edited:
Reactions: z168