Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URGENT : Seats error // Need to choose

What do you prefer ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just got a call from Tesla about the delivery of my car planned on september 24th (in just 6 days!!) !

They made a mistake on the seats ! While I ordered a Model S Signature Performance with Performance Interior including Nappa leather seats with Red piping and Alcantara bolsters, they installed in my car the Perforated Nappa leather seats (exclusive to the Signature non performance models).

So what do you think? Prefer?

Here is a picture of MY car :

IMAG0071.jpg

On the center of the seats, the leather is perforated (hard to see as it's small and bad quality picture)

And here is what I ordered :

image007.jpg

Last edited:
For what it’s worth:

I have only seen the seats in pictures. And as I understand it the seats are basically the same. The only thing that separates them are the alcantra inserts, the red piping and the perforations. And again, judging from pictures it’s difficult for me to have an opinion on the perforations in the Nappa leather seats exclusive to the Signature Series.

But having said that, and (again) judging from the pictures (these and all the others on TMC and the web), I personally prefer the seats black without the red piping. And according to Wikipedia Alcantara is basically ”composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane”. So in other words Alcantara is (basically) just plastic...

To me Nappa leather seems like a more durable, and (judging from this aspect) therefore a better choice.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

My 2 cents, and IMHO and so on and so forth…

Update: Fixed the Wikipedia link...

Last edited:
You should make sure you get what you like.

It is unfortunate that they messed up your order but you can't go wrong either way because they both look great! I actually like the look of the way it is currently configured with all black.

Just make sure they credit you any difference in price between the seats.

But if you had your heart set on the performance seats with red piping don't, settle for something you may not enjoy 100%. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

If I would have had the choice I would have chosen the seats without alcantara and piping for my P85. Alcantara is more prone to getting dirty. And the red is a bit too flashy. So I would have been happy with such a mistake.

But they should give you some compensation if you choose to stick with these 'wrong' seats.

Whaou...

Thanks all for the answers.

And according to Wikipedia Alcantara is basically ”composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane”. So in other words Alcantara is (basically) just plastic...

Didn't know that! Good to know BTW.

I actually like the look of the way it is currently configured with all black.
Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Well, that's a bit disappointing! I like alcantara (no that much that I know this is plastic) but not really the red piping...
So my heart is between!

So I would have been happy with such a mistake.
But they should give you some compensation if you choose to stick with these 'wrong' seats.

Yes, I hope so they will give me something...
Well a mistake can be good sometimes! Here is a special car, as I have carbon AND not alcantara and red piping!

Jeff, at the end there is little difference between the 2, don't delay delivery just take the car, and try to get compensation for the mistake in one way or another.

Manu, whatever I will take the car as it is for the 24th (press and event is already planned)... but need after to take a decision : keep it like this (and hope getting something) or ask for performance seats!

Btw, which one you prefer?

I like the red piping so if that was your primary goal in getting the performance seats you should do that. If you just wanted black I think the non-performance seats might actually hold up better over time as said above.

I like the red piping so if that was your primary goal in getting the performance seats you should do that. If you just wanted black I think the non-performance seats might actually hold up better over time as said above.

As said, don't really like the red piping... so even better now!
Good to know that seats will last more than the other ones... but it depends on use I guess.

Well to me it's compromising. But maybe something I would forgive them for assuming the compensation is correct and you can live with it. In this case I might be able to live with it, missing a pano roof, probably not so forgiving.

Just another example the factory messing up.

If you're asking opinions, I'd keep it as is.

But maybe something I would forgive them for assuming the compensation is correct and you can live with it.
Just another example the factory messing up.
If you're asking opinions, I'd keep it as is.

Thanks Texex91 for your answer.
What do you think will be a correct compensation?

You said "another example the factory messing up", is that means that a lot of mistakes were made?

I will probably keep it like this since I don't really like the red piping.. but still missing the Alcantara that give a sport accent on the car.

So you like which one? (please vote ;-))

@Tigerjeff:

Maybe someone one the forum would like to swap interior with you (Ideally someone in the same delivery date range?)
Looking at the poll results there should be someone out there....
Or maybe Tesla could swap the interior with a Demo?
In those cases Tesla could compensate you to do the interior swap for free?

I hope you will find a solution you're happy with.

I think I will keep as it is... like it without the red piping!
Seems that you prefer with the red piping! But my car is black and white (exterior) with carbon... no red needed!

I like perforated seats as they provide additional cooling although the non-perforated hasn't been an issue at all this summer. I was also going to suggest having them throw in a free set of snow tires and wheels as compensation until I noticed your location ... unless you take the car to the Alps for some skiing.

Thanks Texex91 for your answer.
What do you think will be a correct compensation?

You said "another example the factory messing up", is that means that a lot of mistakes were made?

I will probably keep it like this since I don't really like the red piping.. but still missing the Alcantara that give a sport accent on the car.

So you like which one? (please vote ;-))

The difference in cost and maybe a gift shop run of anything you want up to $500.

As to the factory messing up, there have been several posting lately of missing items, or wrong items--my favorite is the one door panel that is a different color. Classic.

Congrats on the car and post pics once you receive it!

I like perforated seats as they provide additional cooling although the non-perforated hasn't been an issue at all this summer.

I was thinking about that... sure that they provide additional cooling?
So you prefer perforated?

my favorite is the one door panel that is a different color. Classic.
Congrats on the car and post pics once you receive it!

LOL! How they can missed that?
Thanks, will post pics of course...

I personally like the alcantara inserts and the red piping (I have it on my car). My car is also red. I do understand though why many don't like it, and if my car was white, I think I'd prefer the signature black seats w/o the red. What I'd really love is two-tone leather, black/red, but that's a different story.

I personally like the alcantara inserts and the red piping (I have it on my car). My car is also red. I do understand though why many don't like it, and if my car was white, I think I'd prefer the signature black seats w/o the red. What I'd really love is two-tone leather, black/red, but that's a different story.

Yes, so in my case, as my car is white, a full black without red piping is nicer!

All black interiors never go out of style.
What I can't understand is why they don't just swap the seats. IS there something about the Model S that makes, unbolting the seats and unplugging a few wires that difficult?

Don't think is hard, but we are in Europe, so no spare parts for now...
So they don't have the seats ready! Better for me, I prefer the new ones (will confirm after delivery) and also get something! So at the end, a good mistake.