Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usb album art?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Is there a magic invocation to make this work?

I just spent an hour or so adding folder.jpg's to my reasonably well organised SSD, and nothing is showing up. Before I hit the roll of the dice on 3 year old advice on Google, is there any current advice on how to present album art so it's reliably picked up?

It works for me but I embed my album art in the track metadata possibly in addition to having it in the folder which may be the reason why you are not seeing things. This is obviously not possible with WAV's as it does not support embedded artwork, but is fine on FLAC etc.

Will give it a shot, ta. Just didn't want to start doing random things without some expectation of it working.

I've done the hard / manual bit of getting all the images now, just need to do the embedding, but that should be a one off effort.

I use Star Music Editor and it is simple to use and allows to edit every aspect of the metadata. It allows you to add your own art or it will find it for you and embed it. Best of all it's free to use. Not sure if it will work with iOS.
Cheers! My next question was about to be what do people use to rip these days? I've been an old school user of cdex for a long long time, but I think it's time to admit defeat and dump it.

dBpoweramp - its not free but you only really want to rip your music collection once so worth doing it right. It won't to DVD-A though. Accuraterip gives you confidence that your rip was 100% accurate (by comparing a calculated checksum against crowd sourced data) and it will normally handle the small number of non compliant discs out there, even if it takes a long time. I think it failed to 100% 'accurately' rip a couple of tracks out of thousands that I have ripped - they ripped and appeared to play correctly, but it cannot verify a 100% accurate rip.

I rip to FLAC then if I need an alternative version, convert the FLAC to a different format. dBpoweramp has lots of conversion options to help.

I did have some legacy stuff on MP3's when storage was expensive and some ripped with Sooloos/FLAC, but overtime I re ripped those with dBpoweramp into a coherent file format. Folder organisation and naming convention can be just as important as the actual rip itself. Lots of nuances between different album versions that can be picked up by more advanced music systems like Roon.

Reactions: Avendit
I use Star Music Editor and it is simple to use and allows to edit every aspect of the metadata. It allows you to add your own art or it will find it for you and embed it. Best of all it's free to use. Not sure if it will work with iOS.

Yes, does anyone have a Mac alternative?

I jave a use of 2000 songs in 320 AAC format (sound great) but can’t get consistent artwork to appear!