Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras not recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea when but a couple of days ago I noticed the red X and no cameras being recorded, USB stick is 15 months old so suspected it's just given up the ghost, so - bought a Samsung T7 SSD, plug it in - the car picks up the device and i touch format - it reports success - but after maybe 20 to 30 seconds on screen indicates Format USB device.
I have tried a reboot and I unplugged other USB devices like my phone charger and Road Angel, still nothing - so i removed the HUB and plugged directly into the USB A socket - No difference - still have the red X.

Am I missing something? The car created TESLADRIVE on the root of the T7 - as it does with a USB stick - so it is writing something. Any idea Ive missed before talking to Tesla?

Some suggestions here:

Well, I may have solved the issue. The 128Gb SD Card I have used for the last 15 or so months will not work, I formatted it Fat32 and also tried Exfat - and I tried the car formatting the drive, hence the purchase of the T7 - which also doesn't work.
The car names the volume TESLADRIVE but doesn't create TeslaCam as a directory on it - so with the SD card I created TeslaCam on my computer and just tried it back in the car - and now its all working fine.
So, tomorrow morning I will try the same thing with the SSD T7 - fingers crossed.

Yes I did, I discovered the cars function to format the drive wipes everything including the "TeslaCam" directory - so it stops working, Connected the T7 (and my old memory stick) to the computer and created TeslaCam and refitted - bingo - all works perfectly.
I bought a 1TB T7 and don't bother with wiping or formatting anymore - just leave it alone to do its thing, probably will curse if I ever need to find a clip though.

I've discovered my USB drive is susceptible to vibrating loose and stopping working, especially on the M25 south of the M3 junction. It's happened twice in succession now.
Just use pliers and squeeze the metal part - opposite side to the electrical connection and insulation in a little bit - it will tighten the socket so it cant vibrate loose again

Reactions: exlatccatsa