Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB C in the back not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a tech here yesterday for the second attempt to fix the rear USB-C ports (I was using a little Samsung USB-C to USB 3 adapter that works fine with the front port but not the rear). He has learned (since the first attempt a month ago) that the only fix is to use an Apple USB-C to USB adapter cable ($19). He demonstrated that power was available using the adapter and stated it is a known problem - the rear ports are different from the front. I suggested he leave the cable with me but he declined :( I assume Tesla will put out some info regarding this?

I had a tech here yesterday for the second attempt to fix the rear USB-C ports (I was using a little Samsung USB-C to USB 3 adapter that works fine with the front port but not the rear). He has learned (since the first attempt a month ago) that the only fix is to use an Apple USB-C to USB adapter cable ($19). He demonstrated that power was available using the adapter and stated it is a known problem - the rear ports are different from the front. I suggested he leave the cable with me but he declined :( I assume Tesla will put out some info regarding this?
*** Correction: USB-C to Lightning cable***

Contributing my experience with iPhones: the back seat Usb C ports work well with a USB C to lightning cables from Amazon (basics) and Apple. They did not work with a USB C to USB A adapter from Amazon (basics) + USB A to lightning cable.

(Adapter worked well with a USB C power supply + the same USB A to lightning cables)

Reactions: smatthew
I agree with the above posts mentioning an official Apple USB-C to lightning cable works (Tesla service confirmed to me when I brought my car in thinking the rear ports were dead).

For anyone who prefers a slightly longer black cable that's about 35% cheaper than Apple's, I can confirm that this cable from Amazon works perfectly in both rear USB-C ports: "AUKEY USB C to Lightning Cable 3.9ft iPhone 11 Charger [Apple MFi Certified] Durable Braided Nylon Type C to iPhone Cable Fast Charge for iPhone 11 Pro/X/8/8 Plus, iPad, Airpods Pro and Other". I would put a link but they seem to be out of stock of that length and the link now points to a longer 6.6 ft version that I can't vouch for.

Hope this helps!

The Tesla tech was just here working on the same issue with our Y. He first replaced the USB c controller for the rear ports but they still wouldn’t work. He then, took the charging mat from the front and plugged it into one of the rear USB c ports and it worked fine. The conclusion was it’s a problem with the cable - just like others here have figured out.

The problem cable that DOESN’T WORK with the model Y rear USB c ports is this one:
ANDNOVA USB C to Lightning Cable 2 Pack 10FT Extra Long Nylon Braided Charging & Syncing Cord MFi Certified (Use with USB Type C Chargers) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPF2B8Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bKRtFbZJTC7Q1
I had the same issue and plugged in my Apple USB-C to Lighthing and it now charges iPhone. thanks for the info here guys!

I too experienced the same issues (as mentioned in this blog) with the USB C ports in rear seating area of my 2021 Model Y not working. The original cable I used was an OEM Apple USB-C to Lightening. It worked with the front ports, but not the rear ports. I tried an ANKER USB-C to Lightening. It worked on both front and rear ports. I retried the first cable just to double check and it still did not work with the rear ports.

I decided to go one step further and try two other cables I had. Both the cables were OEM Apple USB C to Lightening and both were new, nicely coiled, and right out of the box. The results....both worked fine on front and back ports. I'm perplexed with the results.

The first cable is in great like new condition and has not been used much at all.

I have no explanation for these results but do have a recommendation. Try a different quality cable first before calling the Tesla Doctor (Tesla Service) and hopefully avoid having your Tesla from being disassembled.

I hope this is helpful.