Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device and music not showing on Refreshed MS LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sbaimo

12/15 LR black/white 21” no FSD delivered 6/30
Jan 26, 2021
Hancock Park Los Angeles
I posted this elsewhere but was told this is the right section for this.

Has anyone been successful with music on a usb stick. If so, I know stick needs to be formatted fat 32. But I have questions. Most of my music is In Folders and subfolders. For instance I have a Beatles folder. Inside is a folder
For each album. If In folders like I have can you see all songs without going into particular folders.
Or Am I better off just moving all individual songs onto the usb stick with no folders. So far
My car has not Recognized my usb3.0- 3.1 stick. I ordered a couple that Tesla says they have tested and work with the new S.
Also are ther limits or a preferred size for
The usb stick?

I believe the media player does recognize some songs from the stick but there is no usb option when choosing devices. I think a few popped
Up when I selected
Spotify. Weird
Thanks

Your folder organization should work. I have category folders, like rock, classical, etc., and the each artist under that, followed by each album, then the album songs. It works. There is an issue with the usb software on the newly designed screens for the 2021 models just released, including dashcam functionality. A future release should fix most issues. Make sure you have USB selected under media choices in the settings, where you can hide media sources you are not using.

Assuming it is not a sofware issue as noted above:

If you format a USB (or SD) to Fat32 you are limited to 4 GB. If you have a larger one then you need to format it to exFat, never to NTFS. If you can read it on your computer you should be able to read it in your car, but…

If you also have the “TeslaCam” folder on it you will not see anything else. Your music needs to be on a separate USB (or SD) or a 2nd partition if you want to use a single USB (or SD).

Also you should be using a high-speed, high endurance SD card, not a USB. Such as this:

You will then want to get the card reader (SD to USB) as well (same page).

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Assuming it is not a sofware issue as noted above:

If you format a USB (or SD) to Fat32 you are limited to 4 GB. If you have a larger one then you need to format it to exFat, never to NTFS. If you can read it on your computer you should be able to read it in your car, but…

If you also have the “TeslaCam” folder on it you will not see anything else. Your music needs to be on a separate USB (or SD) or a 2nd partition if you want to use a single USB (or SD).

Also you should be using a high-speed, high endurance SD card, not a USB. Such as this:

You will then want to get the card reader (SD to USB) as well (same page).

Good luck!

The new manual states that it will only accept usb 3.0 interface ans will not Accept exFat or NTFS

I had to reformat my stick using a
Mac as my windows laptop will only format
ExFat or NTFS. but the device does not show up. I orders a couple new usb sticks

Actually, using Windows 10 you can format a large drive as FAT32, but you are still limited to the 4GB file limitation. This won't be an issue for anything your car can play. I have a 64 GB SanDisk FAT32 USB 3.0 Stick for Audio files.
You must use the format command prompt:

Use Command Prompt to format USB to FAT32​

Please note that formatting large USB drives to FAT32 might take hours. If you cannot wait for hours, please use the tool mentioned in Method 2 of this guide.

IMPORTANT: Formatting the drive will delete all data on the drive. Please back up all data to another location before proceeding. If you want to convert your drive from NTFS to FAT32 without losing data, use the tool mentioned in Method 3 (scroll down to see).

Step 1: Open the Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, type CMD in the Start/taskbar search field, right-click on the Command Prompt entry and then click Run as administrator option.

Click the Yes button when you get the User Account Control screen.

format external USB drive to FAT32 in Windows 10 pic01

Step 2: At the Command Prompt window, execute the following command. WARNING: All data on the drive will be erased.

Format /FS:FAT32 X:

In the command, replace “X” with the actual drive letter of the USB drive that you want to format to the FAT32 file system. As said before, it might take hours to format the drive.

Press the Enter key when asked to execute the command.

format external USB drive to FAT32 in Windows 10 pic02

The car does much better with FAT32. I have had problems with EXFAT, maybe resolved now. Also, I don't think you can do the quick format with the /q switch using Windows 10 Format command to format a big drive to FAT32. It takes a long time with a big drive. Maybe this has been fixed in Windows now.

I don't think you can do the quick format with the /q switch using Windows 10 Format command to format a big drive to FAT32
Quick format will not let you format more than 4GB if you select FAT32. I usually right click on the drive and select format, select the format type and ensure the quick formay option is checked. Never had an issue with any type I select. Give it a try/ :)

Reactions: Sbaimo
True, but I was discussing formatting drives larger than 2 GB to FAT32, and you cannot use the Window 10 Graphic interface to do that. You must open a Command Prompt with Administrator rights in Windows 10, and manually type the format command, and that does not allow you to do a quick format for large drives which formally exceed the FAT32 specification of 2GB total drive space. You can do a slow format, but no individual file you then place on the drive can still exceed 4 GB, which is generally not a problem.

Last edited:
quick format for large drives which formally exceed the FAT32 specification of 2GB total drive space

No problem on my PC with Windows 10. This is an 8 GB USB formatted to FAT32

Capture.JPG

Windows 10 does now have the capability to format drives up to 32 GB as FAT32. I have 256 GB drives for Dashcam. It will not format these larger drives over 32 GB as FAT32 without using the command prompt and manually typing the format command. Quick Format cannot be used for drives over 32 GB when formatting to FAT32.

"Windows 10 does not allow users to format USB or hard disk drives larger than 32GB in FAT32"

From 6 Days ago, How to Format a Drive in FAT32 in Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I see. 💡 Well, I guess if you really want to use FAT32 then you are stuck using the CLI option. Personally, I have a 256GB drive that I partitioned into a 192GB drive for the TeslaCam and a second 64GB partition for music. I formatted both using the GUI as exFAT and have never had an issue using it in my MS.

While you wait here are a couple “tests” you can try:

Format the USB as FAT32 and put a handful of music mp3 files in the root, and nothing else. Plug it into your car, go to music and select USB. Do you see anything and can you play music?

Next, go back to your PC and delete all of the music. Now create a folder called TeslaCam and plug the USB back into the car - give it a bit and see if a green dot appears in the upper right of the camera icon

Reactions: DerbyDave
While you wait here are a couple “tests” you can try:

Format the USB as FAT32 and put a handful of music mp3 files in the root, and nothing else. Plug it into your car, go to music and select USB. Do you see anything and can you play music?

Next, go back to your PC and delete all of the music. Now create a folder called TeslaCam and plug the USB back into the car - give it a bit and see if a green dot appears in the upper right of the camera icon
Good idea. I will try putting a few Individual songs on stick. But I did not put the songs on my dashcam USB that uses the old fashioned usb interface. I put the music on a usb-c in the front compartment. The manual states that music will work from those front 2 usb inputs. But music won’t work on the rear usb inputs.

If necessary, I will split the glove compartment usb and try it there.

Life is strange. I was walking over to a neighbors house and decided to try usb again. It was formatted with fat32 and has 5 gb of a 32 gb stick with music on it.
Put it in. Usb showed up as a source. All songs showed up with the ability to choose artist album songs etc. Chose song played perfectly. Then I chose songs and put it on random All my music is showing and working perfectly. It’s the little things.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions. I appreciate the help

Reactions: DerbyDave
Btw windows is a pain for formatting fat32. I downloaded an app that did it. But it had a lot of ads and bs. So I uninstalled it from my windows laptop.
I pulled out my MacBook Air and they have a disk utility that formats to Fat32 (I think they used the name ms-dos fat32). The disk utility works great. Formatted to the fat32 using the Mac. It took about 5-10 seconds. Then just moved all my music onto stick. I have about 300 folders with the artist name. In some of those folders are other folders for each album and of course all the songs in each album.
My LR read it all easily and as I said gives you a choice of artist, albums or songs. It is very similar to the way iTunes used to work

This (old) thread is still a top hit in Google for this problem, so I thought I'd add my discoveries here.

#1) As a Mac user, I was also having no luck getting a freshly-formatted FAT32 USB thumb drive to appear as a music source. When you format the device as MS-DOS (FAT), the other option, Scheme, defaulted to Master Boot Record. I changed it to GUID Partition Map and after reformatting, my '22 MS LR recognized the drive and all the music on it.

#2) Then I discovered that music on the USB stick and media files in a Boombox folder are both ignored by the Tesla if you also have a Lightshow folder on the stick. I never had a problem getting my Model S to recognize the Lightshow folder on the USB, but I had to remove/rename that folder it to get the music and boombox media to appear.

It's possible Lightshow was the problem all along, and not the format Scheme.