Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody seeing a ‘USB Device Malfunction. Center Console-remove device’ on the 48.10?

Had some of the historic USB issues last year but they went away with subsequent updates. Now all of a sudden I’m getting this error. When I get the error I unplug and reinsert it and sometimes it comes back but sometimes it doesn’t. However, TeslaCam is now not starting.

Haven’t had a chance to reformat yet. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Did a search and didn’t see this posted yet. . .

Discussion about this on TOO in a thread about 2020.48. Do you have a Jeda Hub installed?

From what I've determined through trial and error then had confirmed by another owner who'd been dealing with it a bit longer, there's some conflict with 2020.48 and the Jeda Hub's onboard electronics which permit all 5 ports (pre 2020, anyway) to do both power and data. While removing my SSD (or even my phone cable) would fix it momentarily, as soon as I plugged anything back in, the error would appear until I removed the Hub and plugged those things directly into the Tesla ports.

I've gone two days without the error and have an e-mail in to Jeda support (sent Friday afternoon so...). The other owner said that Jeda requested reproduction of the error and they haven't responded since that was provided (only a few days). In the meantime, that owner purchased a Taptes hub which doesn't have the same internal electronics allowing data to all ports (and, possibly some protections?) and, I'm told it works without errors. That owner also said other people had reported the same issues but not here or at TOO as far as I'm aware (maybe Reddit or Facebook - I'm not on either).

If you do have the Jeda Hub, try removing it and letting Jeda know. I'm hoping that they'll want to lobby Tesla for an update which doesn't break their product considering their onboard electronics probably provide some protections to Tesla as well as Jeda and the end user.

Reactions: MarkWil
Had it about 3 times in 3 days. Each time the dashcam icon hasn't disappeared or lost it's red recording status. I also have Taptes hub though .. maybe it's playing up.

Must’ve missed this. Interesting that you have the same issue with the Taptes hub. Might be an issue with splitters in general or, more nefariously, a ploy to get us all buying the Tesla hub (do they have one yet?).

I'm having this with the stock Tesla hub since the 2020.48.10 update. The cameras continue to work and record in the right plug. To make the error go away, I've just been unplugging the charging pad (left plug) and plugging it back in. I don't use the wireless charging function, so no function loss for me, but it is annoying!

Edit: this is happening on my Model Y. Haven't seen it on the Model 3 yet.

I'm having this with the stock Tesla hub since the 2020.48.10 update. The cameras continue to work and record in the right plug. To make the error go away, I've just been unplugging the charging pad (left plug) and plugging it back in. I don't use the wireless charging function, so no function loss for me, but it is annoying!

Edit: this is happening on my Model Y. Haven't seen it on the Model 3 yet.

Can you clarify what you mean by the stock Tesla hub? Are you saying that the built in front USB ports in your Model Y are how you're connected? What wireless charging pad do you use (stock Tesla - thought the new one was hard wired- or third party)?

This is getting more interesting by the minute but I'm becoming more hopeful that it will be resolved via firmware update (as soon as Tesla knows about it) since it sounds wide spread.

I don’t have a hub. I think my thumb drive went bad. Took it out to try reformatting it in my desktop. Can’t do it. The GUIFORMAT program I used to format it before errors out, and windows errors out, too. Ordered a new one and will see how that works.

My 2020 model 3 has been displaying USB device malfunction since shortly after the latest update (48:10 I think). I don’t seem to have any loss of function though it is very annoying. I’ve unplugged everything and it doesn’t seem to change anything. Sounds like a glitch in the software. I haven’t tried rebooting. Has anyone had success with that?

My USB ended up getting stuck in a write-protected state where it's pretty much pooched.

Unable to format (via car or PC), unable to delete the partition via diskpart or run any 'clean/clear/format' tasks quoting write-protected state.

I do see the video files in the USB and can be read/opened, but everything is write-protected and nothing can be moved/removed.

With other people seeing the same symptoms, I'll be using a cheap 32gb usb in the mean time as to not put a new SSD at risk of corruption until at least the next update. I've been running this for the last 4 days or so without issue.

The software may have caused the issue, however, an update is unlikely to 'fix' the storage device/USB issue as the device is now the secondary point of failure.

Last edited:
My 2020 model 3 has been displaying USB device malfunction since shortly after the latest update (48:10 I think). I don’t seem to have any loss of function though it is very annoying. I’ve unplugged everything and it doesn’t seem to change anything. Sounds like a glitch in the software. I haven’t tried rebooting. Has anyone had success with that?

Do you have a hub or is this happening with the Tesla USB ports?

Anybody seeing a ‘USB Device Malfunction. Center Console-remove device’ on the 48.10?

Had some of the historic USB issues last year but they went away with subsequent updates. Now all of a sudden I’m getting this error. When I get the error I unplug and reinsert it and sometimes it comes back but sometimes it doesn’t. However, TeslaCam is now not starting.

Haven’t had a chance to reformat yet. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Did a search and didn’t see this posted yet. . .

Similar issue on my M3 Standard range just in last couple days. Using Tesla USB port. Suddenly says my device (which has been working just fine for 18 months) doesn't have capacity and is malfunctioning. Glad to hear this may not be just my car/USB.

Reactions: lemketron