Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Drive For Recording Sentry Mode, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Dashcam records 10 minute clips. The Tesla Dashcam software automatically overwrites the Dashcam clip after 1 hour unless the clip is saved. You can save a Dashcam clip by tapping the Dashcam screen icon, honking the horn (see settings.) The current Dashcam video buffer is automatically saved n the event of a collision. Once saved the clip is retained on the USB storage device until you delete it or reformat the device. Sentry mode events, also short clips, are saved automatically until you delete them. Unless you plan on storing a large music collection on the USB drive (usually in a separate drive partition but this may no longer be required as the USB storage device can now be formatted using exFAT and NTFS) then 128GB is plenty, i.e. up to 17 hours of Tesla video recording. A 256GB storage device would store ~35 hours of Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode video clips.

For maximum life and reliability of the USB storage device for Tesla Dashcam and Sentry Mode use a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD card and a USB adapter. You can use SSD as these generally have a larger storage capacity. SSD cost more, take up space in the glove box and use more power. The USB thumb drive that comes with the Tesla vehicle is not designed for a high volume of total read/write operations so it will likely fail within a relatively short time. You may not know the storage device has been corrupted until you need to retrieve a recording.

Last edited:
Yes, Tesla now provides a 128GB USB memory stick. The Sales/Service center installs the memory stick in the glove box. The high volume of data write operations with Tesla's Dashcam recording and Sentry mode will quickly damage a standard USB device. For a more reliable, longer life data storage device use an SSD or else a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD memory card and a USB adapter.

Reactions: howardnj
If anyone needs a Factory Tesla 128GB USB-A for their glovebox port, I've got a brand new one which I'll sell cheap.

I bought it from Tesla's website before I took delivery of my car, only to find out the car already had one...:confused:

Yes, Tesla now provides a 128GB USB memory stick. The Sales/Service center installs the memory stick in the glove box. The high volume of data write operations with Tesla's Dashcam recording and Sentry mode will quickly damage a standard USB device. For a more reliable, longer life data storage device use an SSD or else a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD memory card and a USB adapter.

Has anyone actually had a failure with the stock 128GB drive?

I’ve just joined bc ive just gotten my new Y back from the body shop. I drive it home from the Tesla Svc Ctr where it was delivered, I drove it home 28 miles parked it, went in side and an hour later my car was side swiped hit and run. 😢 that is not why I am texting I text box I’m 74 yr and about as computer illiterate as possible. I don’t even know the questions to ask. I did find out about the fire stick USB ports. Was a fire stick supposed to be in the car when it was delivered?
Thanks
ChristmasCarol

I’ve just joined bc ive just gotten my new Y back from the body shop. I drive it home from the Tesla Svc Ctr where it was delivered, I drove it home 28 miles parked it, went in side and an hour later my car was side swiped hit and run. 😢 that is not why I am texting I text box I’m 74 yr and about as computer illiterate as possible. I don’t even know the questions to ask. I did find out about the fire stick USB ports. Was a fire stick supposed to be in the car when it was delivered?
Thanks
ChristmasCarol
Yes, the Tesla vehicle comes with a 128GB Samsung USB thumb drive. The drive should be in the USB-A port located inside the glove box.

Tesla Dashcam records 10 minute clips. The Tesla Dashcam software automatically overwrites the Dashcam clip after 1 hour unless the clip is saved. You can save a Dashcam clip by tapping the Dashcam screen icon, honking the horn (see settings.) The current Dashcam video buffer is automatically saved n the event of a collision. Once saved the clip is retained on the USB storage device until you delete it or reformat the device. Sentry mode events, also short clips, are saved automatically until you delete them. Unless you plan on storing a large music collection on the USB drive (usually in a separate drive partition but this may no longer be required as the USB storage device can now be formatted using exFAT and NTFS) then 128GB is plenty, i.e. up to 17 hours of Tesla video recording. A 256GB storage device would store ~35 hours of Tesla Dashcam and Sentry mode video clips.

For maximum life and reliability of the USB storage device for Tesla Dashcam and Sentry Mode use a High Endurance (Sandisk) or PRO Endurance (Samsung) MicroSD card and a USB adapter. You can use SSD as these generally have a larger storage capacity. SSD cost more, take up space in the glove box and use more power. The USB thumb drive that comes with the Tesla vehicle is not designed for a high volume of total read/write operations so it will likely fail within a relatively short time. You may not know the storage device has been corrupted until you need to retrieve a recording.
This post from @jcanoe saved me so much time and effort determining what USB / flash drive storage I need for sentry mode, thank you.

Reactions: suprax
Thanks
ChristmasCarol
I say: Check the glove box for the stick? Is it in there?

So have other people used this method as well? Ordering some accessories and this is one of the top priority things that I can't get wrong :)
Works great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PZTP34M/

Either the 128GB or 256GB High Endurance microSD card. Sandisk also makes a Max Endurance microSD card for even longer life but that one is probably overkill for this application.

If anyone has a new build MY, here are some pics of the USB A (used for sentry mode) in the glove box, and then the two very hard to find USB C ports inside the center console with the sliding door. I feel like an idiot, but it took me an hour to find these😑

Attachments

• 3C32B86A-1CC6-4798-BCAA-7FDF1461F9BF.jpeg
    3C32B86A-1CC6-4798-BCAA-7FDF1461F9BF.jpeg
    864.4 KB · Views: 1,959
  • 66D361B0-FD53-48B8-8749-E78272A4A4A5.jpeg
    66D361B0-FD53-48B8-8749-E78272A4A4A5.jpeg
    554.7 KB · Views: 1,121