Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Drive for Sentry Mode and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being intermittent since day 1, my Pi Zero W has seemingly given up completely. It does power on and the LED flashes like it's doing something but whatever is wrong with it is probably something trivial like filesystem corruption that I just can't really be bothered to try and fix for the sake of it then intermittently connecting to WiFi, maybe picking up my file shares, and sporadically cutting out midway through a drive.

So I'll re-purpose it for something else as it generally seems a nifty bit of kit, just doesn't seem like it is the right tool for this job.

I've replaced it with a 500GB external SSD. Which is probably a little bit expensive and excessive but I've split it into two partitions so I can stuff my entire music collection onto it whilst also use it for sentry/dashcam:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500...ernal-ssd-usb-31-gen2-type-c-bus-powered-blue

It comes with a fairly short USB cable but it's long enough for the drive to sit at the bottom of the compartment where the USB ports are.

So far it's worked perfectly and it is really nice to no longer have to wait a minute or two for the dashcam and music to be available!

It comes with a fairly short USB cable but it's long enough for the drive to sit at the bottom of the compartment where the USB ports are.

See if you can stop it moving around. I found that the USB plug/socket arrangement could (I could reproduce at will turning dashcam on/off) become unreliable with light movement. Preventing the mass from moving mitigates against this.

After being intermittent since day 1, my Pi Zero W has seemingly given up completely. It does power on and the LED flashes like it's doing something but whatever is wrong with it is probably something trivial like filesystem corruption that I just can't really be bothered to try and fix for the sake of it then intermittently connecting to WiFi, maybe picking up my file shares, and sporadically cutting out midway through a drive.

So I'll re-purpose it for something else as it generally seems a nifty bit of kit, just doesn't seem like it is the right tool for this job.

My RPi Zero has given up the ghost too. Strangely it works for sentry but when you start driving I get the dash cam with an ‘x’ symbol. The light on the Pi flashes rapidly indicating a fault. I have re-imaged but still no joy.

Is your car running 2020.8? There's deffo someone going on with how it mounts and 'sees' USB. I moved to exFAT SD (coz I could) and the wee camera with red dot just disappeared, Sentry worked fine and I had USB as a music source (despite no directories or music on the USB drive)
Back to FAT32 and all back to 'normal' - not sure if there's a different block size that the Dashcam checks for/needs?

The Dashcam creates the 2 directories, RecentsClips and SavedClips, then stores some videos and sent the following error message : "MCU_w067, Dashcam write error : USB DrIve full" . The USB is only used with 1.2 GB out of 64 GB.
I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 64 GB or 256 GB and everything was working perfect before fw 2020.8.1.

Can you delete folders on the USB once you have viewed them? - The "TeslaCam" folder would remain but delete all files within? if there are no incidents?

This would not cause any issues right?
Yes, I'm able to delete the stores videos and the 2 folders created under the TeslaCam folder.
Dashcam USB content.jpg

Can you delete folders on the USB once you have viewed them? - The "TeslaCam" folder would remain but delete all files within? if there are no incidents?

This would not cause any issues right?

You can, but you may find that a quick reformat is quicker and possibly gets rid of any hidden gremlins that may build up over time. Remember to add TeslaCam folder back.

Reactions: pow216
I'm looking for some guidance on this particular point too. I have read through this thread to see if I could get the answers to my question but alas I'm still not sure.

Looking for the best type of storage/capacity/capability combination. From what I've read, it looks like a SSD in case would be the best set up. For those of you who do have this, what did you get and where from?

I'm looking for some guidance on this particular point too. I have read through this thread to see if I could get the answers to my question but alas I'm still not sure.

Looking for the best type of storage/capacity/capability combination. From what I've read, it looks like a SSD in case would be the best set up. For those of you who do have this, what did you get and where from?

This works very well partition for music and cam recordings
Bought M2 SSD 128 GB
USB 3.0 to NGFF M.2 B Key SSD External Enclosure Case Cover Box Caddy Adapter 6971485990534 | eBay
Vaseky M.2 2280 NGFF SATA SSD 480/256/128GB Internal Solid State Drive MLC | eBay
Dont know if these listing are up to date but should give you an idea.