Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Drive is not being detected by my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 about 3 weeks ago, all is great besides it not detecting my USB Drive. Trying to use it for TeslaCam/Sentry Mode. I am on version 2020.32.3. When I plug in my USB drive, the lights on the USB go on, but the car doesn't detect it. I am using the USB slot in the front console of the car. I confirmed it does have power by plugging in my phone and it charged. It is formatted for FAT32, and has a folder called "TeslaCam" in it. I have tried 3 different USB drives. Tesla has confirmed they are all compatible with the car to support TeslaCam and Sentry Mode. I tried scroll wheel reset, as well as the "Power Off" button reset. The button under Safety and Security that says "format USB device" is always grayed out as well, even with my USB drive inserted. Had a friend come over with his Model 3, tried out his USB on my car still no luck. Tried my USB drives on his, and they all worked. Any ideas?

If your drive worked on his car, but not yours.... and his, different, drive worked on his car but not yours...the problem is your car.

Could be a software issue. Could be a hardware issue (like the front hub is working for power but not data for example).

Open a service appointment via the app.

If your drive worked on his car, but not yours.... and his, different, drive worked on his car but not yours...the problem is your car.

Could be a software issue. Could be a hardware issue (like the front hub is working for power but not data for example).

Open a service appointment via the app.
Yeah, probably a usb connector that didn't get snapped together all the way at the factory. Not only is there the connector at the USB hub, but there's also an in-line connector behind the console's right side.
Mobile service should be able to check it out.