Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music not be remembered as last played source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a very long thread about this. The issue first appeared earlier this year - the USB interface has really been degraded over time.

There are as couple of voice commands that work (besides the one @Randy-12 mentioned above):
  • "U S B" (you have to have very definite space between each letter)
  • "Switch to USB" - this is the one I use
Also, if you are willing to sacrifice some charge, you can set Sentry to be on ALWAYS (even at home). When I do this, about 70% of the time it picks right back up when I last got out of the car.

But overall, the USB audio UX sucks hard (I listen to USB almost exclusively as it is the only way to get lossless audio into the car)

Tesla has never really been able to figure out why people would want to listen to their own music collection instead of streaming any old thing, so this condition seems to persist. Of course the fact that they like you paying for premium bandwidth may have something to do with it, but who knows? The fact is that their player's UI and functionality are stuck in the 90's, and they don't seem particularly keen on fixing it, preferring to allocate their extremely limited programming resources elsewhere, like (maybe) fixing really bad bugs and (definitely). some new fart sounds. This condition will probably persist until you buy your next car from someone other than Tesla...

I still get this issue. Not remembering the song/position is a minor gripe; reverting to tidal everytime I get into the car is very frustrating.
As an avid USB music listener (still the only way to get lossless in your car), this has been an ongoing frustration for me. I have just gotten used to using the "Switch to USB" voice command and it picks up where you last left off - even remembering the song position. See above for other usable voice commands that also work for this.