Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB phone cable install-routing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 3 on Friday and the USB phone cables were in a little bag in the console. Today I went to install them thinking it would be a 2 minute job. This may seem silly but it was not at all obvious to me how the last bit of cable routes so that it is properly seated and usable. Nothing was in the manual except a description of the port location.
The issue was the shiny black plastic piece that holds the phone connection end in place. It clearly needs to be removed but I saw no obvious removal notation on it. Luckily I didn't assume it just "pops' off... it slides.
So, to save anyone else the 15 mins of fooling around here's the task in 3 pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4221.JPG
    IMG_4221.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_4224.JPG
    IMG_4224.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_4225.JPG
    IMG_4225.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 740
Can anyone confirm that it fits properly into their iPhone when used? The setup in the S didn't allow enough of the plug to seat into the phone so many of us had to tweak the setup in order to get it to work well when using a case. Hoping Tesla fixed that problem with this setup, but the only pictures I have seen of phones docked are without cases.

Can anyone confirm that it fits properly into their iPhone when used? The setup in the S didn't allow enough of the plug to seat into the phone so many of us had to tweak the setup in order to get it to work well when using a case. Hoping Tesla fixed that problem with this setup, but the only pictures I have seen of phones docked are without cases.

I have an iPhone X with this case: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Liquid-Crystal-Protection-Premium/dp/B074CN96GL

It fits fine and that’s not a super slim case.

My wife’s 6S has a thin shell case and it also fits.