Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a Tesla Model S since June 2015 and always use my USB flash drive for music. One time I had to reformat the USB drive to Fat 32 and did that.
Now my USB drive with music will not work, and since the last update Tidal seems to dominate. I am concerned that my USB drive may have been corrupted.
Can anyone tell me the best USB flash drive to use and how to format it now, in March 2023?

This is the USB drive I use (2019 Model S):

I also use these as general-purpose file transfer drives on a daily basis (I've owned several over the past few years). The price is good, the drives have decent performance (60MB/s write speeds), and the form factor makes them easy to tuck into a USB port. I have one in the car dedicated to camera recordings, and I've never had a problem with it for almost 2 years of usage. The size might make them easier to lose if you plan to be carrying them around on a regular basis, but for a drive that will probably spend most of its time in the car, that won't be a problem.

Upvote 0
If the USB drive doesn't even show up when inserted into a computer, there is a USB problem. You can't reformat it because it cannot be accessed. I'd say you need a new drive. I would recommend an "endurance" or other high performance, long lasting drive designed for a dashcam and the extremes in a car (heat, cold, shocks). They are guaranteed for 10 years.

Upvote 0
This is the USB drive I use (2019 Model S):

I also use these as general-purpose file transfer drives on a daily basis (I've owned several over the past few years). The price is good, the drives have decent performance (60MB/s write speeds), and the form factor makes them easy to tuck into a USB port. I have one in the car dedicated to camera recordings, and I've never had a problem with it for almost 2 years of usage. The size might make them easier to lose if you plan to be carrying them around on a regular basis, but for a drive that will probably spend most of its time in the car, that won't be a problem.
Thank you. Mine does live in the car so I will get one.

Upvote 0