Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Stick Automatically Unloads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bobinfla

S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Land O'Lakes
When playing music in the Model X from a USB stick, it "unloads" every time you exit the car, and I've been told this is normal behavior so that the USB stick can be safely removed. Is this how it is working for everyone?

This is not the normal behavior we have experienced in our Model S for the last three years. In the Model S, as soon as the door opens the music starts playing right where it stopped when you got out, and the browse button opens back into the album you were playing.

In the Model X, it is needing to reload the music on the USB stick every time you re-enter the car, so the music doesn't start back up by itself. Sometimes the song is still showing up on the screen and you can hit the pause button then play button to get the music to start back up (at the song after the one that was playing when you got out of the car). I think hitting the track forward button on the steering wheel will also get it to start back up. Sometimes the song is no longer showing, so you have to start from scratch on the menu again.

It also has lost it's place in the menu. So if you hit the browse button it doesn't show the artist and album you were listening to, you have to start at the beginning and work your way through selecting: my devices - usb - artists - scroll through the list, etc.

Also, if it does still show a song on the screen, the scroll bar that shows how much time there is in a song and lets you jump to a certain position has disappeared, from the screen and doesn't come back on it's own as it proceeds through the songs. In order to get it to come back, you have to work down through the menus and select a song and it will be there when that song fires up.

Is unloading the USB supposed to be a new feature? If so, then I do have to point out that having it unload for safe removal when you exit the car, doesn't really help SINCE YOU ARE NOW OUTSIDE THE CAR AND, BARRING TELEKINETIC ABILITIES, YOU CAN'T REMOVE THE UNLOADED USB STICK FROM OUT THERE.

Is this the normal behavior others are seeing with their Model X or has anyone found a way to make it stop this so it just restarts where you were when you got out?

• Funny
Reactions: FarmerDave
Can someone tell me why the Model X music cannot perform like the Model S in that every time you shut the car off the music defaults to the main menu. It is a pain and in the Model S when you get back in the car your music is exactly where it was when you left, same album same song. Tesla, let's have an update to make it like my 3 year old Model S!