Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use "Max Battery" heaters before a long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pezpunk

Aug 12, 2016
Bristow, VA
I was wondering: If it's cold out and I was about to take a long trip, would using the "Max Battery" button prior to leaving, while it's still plugged in, (and then turning it off once I leave the garage) heat up the batteries and make them more efficient for the first part of the journey? any wild guesses how many miles it would gain me, if any, in cold weather?

would it make a difference in warm weather?

I was wondering: If it's cold out and I was about to take a long trip, would using the "Max Battery" button prior to leaving, while it's still plugged in, (and then turning it off once I leave the garage) heat up the batteries and make them more efficient for the first part of the journey? any wild guesses how many miles it would gain me, if any, in cold weather?

would it make a difference in warm weather?
The only reason I would do this would be to have full regenerative braking. This requires only about ten minutes of max battery according to another thread. I doubt it gains you much range especially if you have max range n.