Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2017 Model S 90D vs 2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning Everyone,

I’ve been lurking in the forums trying to soak up as much as I could before buying my first Tesla. I found a 2017 Model S 90D on Tesla’s used listings, the car has about 27k miles on it and comes with FSD, smart air suspension and is listed at $53k. My question is, besides the range and 0-60 time, how much difference is there between the 2017 and the 2021? FSD is important to me and is something I would want, adding that to a 2021 would make it $79k+. I guess I’m just really trying to justify if it’s worth going brand new?

Thanks!
Anhtoan

Morning Everyone,

I’ve been lurking in the forums trying to soak up as much as I could before buying my first Tesla. I found a 2017 Model S 90D on Tesla’s used listings, the car has about 27k miles on it and comes with FSD, smart air suspension and is listed at $53k. My question is, besides the range and 0-60 time, how much difference is there between the 2017 and the 2021? FSD is important to me and is something I would want, adding that to a 2021 would make it $79k+. I guess I’m just really trying to justify if it’s worth going brand new?

Thanks!
Anhtoan
Very important to keep in mind that springing for a new one vs a 2017 is not just getting you FSD and a newer car. The adaptive air suspension, charging rate, range, MCU2 (vs MCU1 on the 90D), a much longer warranty, more efficient and newer design motors etc. A lot has improved since 2017. You will not get a opening sunroof on a new vs. the 2017, but overall a 2021 model is much better than a 2017.

Thanks everyone for their input! I’m leaning towards the newer model, that additional $20k+ to go new is a lot. Do you guys think the base price will stay at $69,420 or eventually go up or down? I think if the used model I was looking had a better warranty package I would go with it, they just lowered the price by $500 as well. Does Tesla offer an extended warranty for their used vehicles?

Thanks everyone for their input! I’m leaning towards the newer model, that additional $20k+ to go new is a lot. Do you guys think the base price will stay at $69,420 or eventually go up or down? I think if the used model I was looking had a better warranty package I would go with it, they just lowered the price by $500 as well. Does Tesla offer an extended warranty for their used vehicles?
The actual retail starting price of a new Model S right now is $70,620. $69,420 is the base price before adding the $1,200 destination and doc fee.

Tesla offers extended warranties (or service agreements) on new and I would assume they would also allow them to be purchased on their used cars as well but you'd want to confirm with a sales advisor. Xcelerate Auto is a third party company that also offers service contracts ("X-Care") on Teslas.

Also, talk to a Tesla sales advisor about new/demo inventory cars that are available at discounts; particularly during quarter end periods.

Ofcourse buying a new one is better, and in posts above guys text all pros of it, though on your place I think another way, like can I allowed to bought car for this price and good maintenance it, or it's better to buy something cheaper, cos car it's some expances and you should calculate