Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used inventory quite low according to ev-cpo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been periodically checking prices of used Model S on ev-cpo for a while now, and remember that there were over 1k nationwide as recently as a few months ago. Just checked today and noticed its down to just 215 cars. Is that just the "echo" of Tesla new car sales where a huge volume of sales were/are completed at the end of the quarter? Alternatively, I'm kind of wondering if they are slowly winding down their used car program given all the problems they've had?

It is strange to see the number drop from close to 1600 (end of March) to around 200 (end of April) but it's certainly possible that they sold that many in a month. Prior to that (from when I started looking in early 2019) the count has been fairly consistent between 1000 and 1500 at any given time.

Being that Tesla primarily sells pre-owned lease returns or trade-ins, it means the majority would probably be 2016 at the newest which is why there are very few AP2.5 cars listed.

With the lackluster sales of Model S and X in Q1, it wouldn't surprise me to see them holding off on listing more used cars for sale though in an attempt to get people to purchase new/inventory instead.

I can tell you, if I was looking now vs. a month ago, I wouldn't have bought one because there are none listed that match the features I wanted at the present time.

Perhaps they are removing the cars to correct the pricing. Many of the used vehicles are now priced higher than a new vehicle with newer technology and more range.

Or, maybe they sent them all to Texas, where all of the loaner fleet (at least in San Antonio) was destroyed by hail storms.

Reactions: DanCar
I have also been shopping for a couple of months on the EV-CPO site (Spring 2019). Inventory has dwindled to below 100 Model S vehicles, and even less for Model X. Tesla will still deliver to your area for $2,000, but selection is limited. I was looking for a P85+ with Auto Pilot - total unicorn car. Found a white P-85 with AP1, but it took some patience, and I am certain I paid more than the prices observed toward the end of Q1 2019.

I'm almost sure they've done this on purpose to push Model 3 sales.

Nowadays almost everyone with a budget, wanting to become a Tesla buyer, will ask themselves which is a better option, used S or new 3. I'm in the same boat, I want one, I like the S a little more, I cannot afford a new S but I could buy a new 3. I like all the new tech in the 3 but I still find myself on S forums and ev-cpo more and more.

With the risk of threading a bit off-topic, I'll go on about my problem. I'm trying to tell myself that I'd be perfectly fine with an AP1 S but, big but, I do really want some of the features which come with AP2 hw. More precisely I really really would like the blind spot alerts and lane departure safety features. I know, I turn my head and check anyway but with the sheer number of crazy drivers on Texas highways, having blind spot monitoring is important to me. It's like they materialize out of nowhere on any lane around you. Also they all drive 10-20 year old cars as if they have AP 5.0 hardware, doing everything but paying attention to what's going on around them. Sorry /rant.

Back on topic, what are the chances that the used S market gets back to "normal" in the very near future? By normal I mean more availability which in turn will make the pricing more realistic, both on Tesla used area and in private sales.

I'm almost sure they've done this on purpose to push Model 3 sales.

Nowadays almost everyone with a budget, wanting to become a Tesla buyer, will ask themselves which is a better option, used S or new 3. I'm in the same boat, I want one, I like the S a little more, I cannot afford a new S but I could buy a new 3. I like all the new tech in the 3 but I still find myself on S forums and ev-cpo more and more.

With the risk of threading a bit off-topic, I'll go on about my problem. I'm trying to tell myself that I'd be perfectly fine with an AP1 S but, big but, I do really want some of the features which come with AP2 hw. More precisely I really really would like the blind spot alerts and lane departure safety features. I know, I turn my head and check anyway but with the sheer number of crazy drivers on Texas highways, having blind spot monitoring is important to me. It's like they materialize out of nowhere on any lane around you. Also they all drive 10-20 year old cars as if they have AP 5.0 hardware, doing everything but paying attention to what's going on around them. Sorry /rant.

Back on topic, what are the chances that the used S market gets back to "normal" in the very near future? By normal I mean more availability which in turn will make the pricing more realistic, both on Tesla used area and in private sales.

Regarding the blind spot monitoring- have you tried Tesla's system? It's not as good as what's available in most other cars (with a warning light in the side mirrors). You have to look at the instrument cluster to see it.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens with the Tesla used market. I mean, Tesla was selling/leasing cars in fair numbers 2, 3 and 4 years ago. So logically, a percentage of those cars will be traded in or returned on lease each month. I'm not sure where they're all going now, but in early January Tesla had over 1000 used Model S for sale IIRC. Tesla sales typically spiked at the end of each quarter, so maybe we'll see another bump in inventory in early July.

Now down to about 70 used model S - unbelievable! Only one with rear-facing seats (my only must-have). I snapped up a 2014 P85D for $44k in April (took delivery in May), and it's starting to seem like a better and better deal. I didn't really NEED the car until this fall, but the perfect one came along, and I'm so glad I got it when I did because otherwise I'd be biting my nails right now looking at the meager used inventory.

My kids are crazy about the rear-facing seats by the way. I thought it would be neat but kind of a gimmick, but it's really turned the car into a people-hauler.

Reactions: Eschaff
It's the end of the quarter and Tesla is close to a delivery record. They have zero interest in selling you a used car right now. A bunch more will appear round about July 1.
BS. The #'s have been steadily declining for a year now. Every time people like yourself talk about how after the start of the new quarter the #'s will jump up again because Tesla is strategically holding cars back. It hasn't happened for more than three quarters now so when is this supposed to happen according to your irrefutable source?

BS. The #'s have been steadily declining for a year now. Every time people like yourself talk about how after the start of the new quarter the #'s will jump up again because Tesla is strategically holding cars back. It hasn't happened for more than three quarters now so when is this supposed to happen according to your irrefutable source?

Guess we’ll find out in July. If you really think Tesla only has 44 used Model S on the books right now, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you might be interested in.

Guess we’ll find out in July. If you really think Tesla only has 44 used Model S on the books right now, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you might be interested in.
So what happened in April? What about January? What about October? I've been watching this Tesla used car market closely for some time now (bought three myself) and the #'s have been declining for a year or more now. People who think they know what they're talking about say once the quarter ends Tesla is going to flood the market & you know what happens? Nothing. Hasn't happened once yet. So, what data supports your claim that Q3 2019 will be different. Give me some sort of statistical citation that backs up your hunch because history doesn't support your guesstimation.

The lease returns are surely coming in...Tesla just might be choosing to sell them through a different channel such as auctions Manheim rather than selling and warranting the cars themselves. Remember they are having delivery problems...if you unclog the system with used cars that you open up capacity for delivering new. That is all what wall street cares about..new cars sales numbers and making a profit. They could really care less about used car numbers.

The lease returns are surely coming in...Tesla just might be choosing to sell them through a different channel such as auctions Manheim rather than selling and warranting the cars themselves. Remember they are having delivery problems...if you unclog the system with used cars that you open up capacity for delivering new. That is all what wall street cares about..new cars sales numbers and making a profit. They could really care less about used car numbers.

I've been hearing this same rhetoric about lease returns coming up "shortly" going back a full year now and it also doesn't materialize. If they are being turned in in massive #'s we're simply not seeing it in terms of Tesla used inventory #'s reflecting this wave of returns.

We're in agreement on the rest of your post though.

Personally, I happen to think they're going to dealer auction as it does seem like there has been an ever-so-slight bump in the #'s found at various dealerships all over the nation. This last part is purely anecdotal though as I don't have any empirical evidence to support this statement... just more of a gut feeling based on what I feel like I've seen over the months.

I've been saying for a while now that Elon's "solution" internally was to low-ball trades and cherry pick a few of those with the lion's share going off to auction to alleviate the pressures that come with trying to service the supply chain via new & used. This allows them to focus their already-thin resources on the new in efforts to bring that buying experience back up to the level that was touted as the best buying experience in the industry.