Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3 now available on EV-CPO.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV-CPO

Global Vendor
Jan 3, 2018
https://ev-cpo.com
In partnership with Current Automotive, we are now listing used, low mileage, Model 3 available for immediate sale.

All vehicles are reconditioned and delivered to your door for between $500 and $1,250.

See: Used Model 3 Listings

Click on any of the images on the website to inquire about purchasing any of these vehicles.

Several used Model S, X, and Roadster are also available for sale on the site.

Current Automotive was co-founded by two Tesla veterans, Current Automotive is the premier source for pre-owned electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The team is dedicated to helping customers transition to sustainable transportation and sources late model, low mileage vehicles with the right options that contain a generous balance of factory warranties. Current Automotive is headquartered in the Chicago metro area with plans to expand nationally.

This is super good news but we will not buy any used Tesla without the 4 year CPO warranty or private party with the added 4 year ESA warranty and I bet many others are like us.

Any news on what warranty options they offer?

If they sell these cars with a comprehensive 4 year warranty seems like a great way to buy a car in decent shape, given that they recondition cars.But no warranty, no thanks.

Last edited:
It's crazy how many people refuse to buy a tesla without a warranty. Are these really such horrible cars that they're useless without one?

Personally for us, it would ruin the ownership experience if we had to pay thousands for a MCU replacement or some other issue and we would feel especially bitter about the expense knowing that only Tesla can fix the car so it's not like you can take the car to an independent mechanic. Basically whatever price Tesla quotes, we'd have to pay. If the MCU goes bad and they say it is $4,000 to fix it, you have to suck it up and pay. I'd rather just be under warranty.

Given that Tesla Service is the only route for getting something fixed, a warranty is a must for us as it helps me enjoy the car in peace :D Of course, you can gamble and end up lucky with a car without issues but we don't like to gamble.

It's crazy how many people refuse to buy a tesla without a warranty. Are these really such horrible cars that they're useless without one?

Considering the starting price of a cpo of at least $30k, Would you buy any cars for $30k without a warranty? It’s crazy how you relate the brand to its quality from a warranty perspective. It’s the protection of a large purchase that everybody is seeking for. Simple as that

Reactions: PhilDavid
Considering the starting price of a cpo of at least $30k, Would you buy any cars for $30k without a warranty? It’s crazy how you relate the brand to its quality from a warranty perspective. It’s the protection of a large purchase that everybody is seeking for. Simple as that

Absolutely and to a great extent the extended warranties offered by car manufacturers greatly help maintain resale values and manage depreciation in the used car market. It used to be that premium German carmakers were very stingy with extended warranties and that caused their values to plummet. They've now overhauled their CPO warranties to be quite comprehensive. For example, Audi and Mercedes both offer warranty coverage up to 6 years for CPO cars. Without the availability of those warranties some customers may not touch them -- we certainly would not.

So this is not just a Tesla think. IMHO it is inadvisable to own any premium car without warranty coverage. This is especially true with Tesla because who else is going to fix your car and where else will you get parts? Any figure they quote for a repair, you have to pay.

Great question, might like I always question when people state their Tesla is covered with "XXXXXX" paint protection or wrap or whatever - is it really that bad of a paint job that you need Expel or whatever to cover it up and make it look shiny? I don't see many MB, BMW, LandRover or any other brand for that matter be so touted as "covered from bumper to bumper in Expel". Or is it a CA thing where it's not how you feel it's how you look?

Dzm

I thought the new car warranty was transferable? I understood that CPO warranties were meant to extend, not replace the manufacturer's warranty.

Correct. In all cases (except salvage or rebuilt cars) the 4-year 50,000 mile factory warranty is always valid on any car bought or sold.

A buyer buying a Tesla bought in a private sale is eligible to purchase the Extended Service Agreement (ESA) after the sale, to add 4 years, 50,000 miles, but comes with a $200 per visit deductible.

A buyer in a private sale of a previous Tesla used/CPO car with the CPO warranty is not eligible to also buy the ESA. The CPO warranty is the end of the line, but still valid/transfers in a private sale.

A used car that passes through any third-party car dealer is not eligible to buy the ESA.

I have to check if a used/CPO car with a Tesla CPO warranty is stripped of the CPO warranty if it is sold through a third-party dealer.

But in all cases, the original factory warranty is always valid.

Great question, might like I always question when people state their Tesla is covered with "XXXXXX" paint protection or wrap or whatever - is it really that bad of a paint job that you need Expel or whatever to cover it up and make it look shiny? I don't see many MB, BMW, LandRover or any other brand for that matter be so touted as "covered from bumper to bumper in Expel". Or is it a CA thing where it's not how you feel it's how you look?

Dzm
I think that for many people, including myself, my Tesla was the most expensive car I have ever purchased. I chose to put on PPF to protect the investment as I hoped I would be keeping the car a long time. I had my last car for 20 years and the front end hood were covered with tiny rust spots where the paint had chipped over the years. I never considered wrapping that $25,000 car... but it was the first thing I did on my $100,000 Tesla. My mom followed suit when she got her $60,000 Model 3.

Reactions: byeLT4
I think that for many people, including myself, my Tesla was the most expensive car I have ever purchased. I chose to put on PPF to protect the investment as I hoped I would be keeping the car a long time. I had my last car for 20 years and the front end hood were covered with tiny rust spots where the paint had chipped over the years. I never considered wrapping that $25,000 car... but it was the first thing I did on my $100,000 Tesla. My mom followed suit when she got her $60,000 Model 3.
My wife's volvo is a 2006 we picked up in Sweden.......I get it from that perspective, but not sure that's why most people do it. Will I do it to hers? Maybe. Would I buy somehting previously/still wrapped over something not all other things being equal - yes in a heart beat.
Dzm

Part of the issue with XPEL, vinyl wrapping, or spray dipping (Plastidip or Autoflex) a Tesla is the cars are painted in California, and due to the CARB rules and low VOC (volatile organic compounds) standards, the paint Tesla uses is generally softer than used by pretty much every other automaker outside of California. Therefore there's more of a need to protect the paint and finish.

see: Automotive Refinishing

Part of the issue with XPEL, vinyl wrapping, or spray dipping (Plastidip or Autoflex) a Tesla is the cars are painted in California, and due to the CARB rules and low VOC (volatile organic compounds) standards, the paint Tesla uses is generally softer than used by pretty much every other automaker outside of California. Therefore there's more of a need to protect the paint and finish.

see: Automotive Refinishing
Now there's info a newbee/NooB like me can use.
Thanks,
Dzm

Reactions: EV-CPO
So any news about if any of these other vendors are selling Teslas with a CPO or other form of extended warranty coverage for 4 years?

Whoever buys those wholesale Tesla cars are going to have a very hard time moving them if they are not able to offer the cars without the 4 year CPO warranty.

Strange, my 2014 has been flawless. 56k miles and no way I'd pay $4200 for a 50k miles warranty (with a $200 deductible to boot).

I can do quite a few repairs for $4400 - if I ever need to.

I am sure there are many others like you just the same way there are many home owners whose house did not burn down due to a fire...

The benefit of the warranty is that it insulates you from potentially massive repair bills for issues that might come up that only Tesla can fix where you have little choice but to pay whatever they quote you for the repair as there are no independent Tesla repair shops.

I am sure there are many others like you just the same way there are many home owners whose house did not burn down due to a fire...

The benefit of the warranty is that it insulates you from potentially massive repair bills for issues that might come up that only Tesla can fix where you have little choice but to pay whatever they quote you for the repair as there are no independent Tesla repair shops.

Well, one thing that is possibly different for me and you is that my car has the 8 years, unlimited miles warranty on the drive train (battery, motor, etc) that would run in parallel to the extended warranty. So, other than the 17" screen, I'm not sure I've heard of many other items that would cause "massive repair bills".

And if my screen went out, even if it were $3500 to replace, I'd still be saving $900. If it went out twice, I'd lose $2400 - wait I wouldn't, because the replacement screen would come with its own warranty.

What other repairs are you referring to that have been somewhat common that I would be insulating myself from? I can't imagine more than 8-10k total in repairs over 50k miles - a $5k insurance policy that in worse case pays out $10k is not a very good bet.

There are many threads on the extended warranty - you should read them. Most people say they either never used the extended warranty, or didn't get close to the $4400 in repairs. And if you didn't buy the warranty when you purchased the car, the warranty is actually $4900 ($4700 + 200 for 1st repair) - even less compelling.

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR

Everything is price driven, and every Tesla sells at a certain price regardless of warranty coverage. There’s a saying in the car business that goes “There’s an ass for every seat!” And that includes cars that are out of warranty.

I asked Current Automotive about this and they added:
We are focused on Teslas that contain a generous portion of the 4 year factory warranty. We’ve sold many Teslas to date without issue.

We are closely following Right to Repair bills moving through legislature across the country that would force Tesla’s hand at opening up the repair manuals and access to tooling. Once this occurs, 3rd party insurance companies will develop warranty products for Teslas which we could then sell covering the cars beyond the 4 year period. This is not far off – we’re talking less than 18 months.

Many other organizations are also lobbying for the 'Right to Repair' bills. Massachusetts already has one, and Rich Rebuilds (see his popular Youtube channel here) is doing Tesla repairs and is opening up such a Tesla/EV Repair shop there. So people in New England/NY area can already get their cars repaired by third-parties. See his Indigogo campaign here: Help Rich Rebuilds open The Electrified Garage!

There are many Tesla owners (I would say the vast majority but don't have data to back that up, just my observation) who bought their cars new or used without any extended warranty and have not suffered massive financial losses due to their cars being out of warranty now. Sure, we've heard stories from a few people have had to replace an MCU or door handles or air shocks here and there, but those really are the exceptions rather than the rule. You generally don't hear stories from people who haven't had any issues.

An extended warranty isn't required for every used car sold. But it's a nice insurance policy if you require that piece of mind. Not all people do, and they buy and sell Teslas everyday without one.