Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S vs waiting for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive about 100 miles/day in a Jaguar XF and have been thinking about trading because the fuel/maintenance/oil changes/brakes/tires etc... are really stacking up.

Electric appeals to me, I just dont have a ton of time to fully research it. My question boils down to what gotcha's (other than the buying process which I have read about troubles with) are there with say getting a used ~$30K model S vs getting a model 3 or perhaps other vehicle like a Bolt? The model S seems very nice, it just seems odd that the 2014 or so offerings have depreciated that much?

Is there still mandatory maintenance of around $600/year? Are there other expenses, do they chew up tires, use way more energy or anything like that i need to take into account in my calculations?

Is there any huge problem buying a used Tesla from 3rd party dealerships or from an individual and not from Tesla itself?

Just learning and I do not want to get bitten by something I hope/think I will really like....

I drive about 100 miles/day in a Jaguar XF and have been thinking about trading because the fuel/maintenance/oil changes/brakes/tires etc... are really stacking up.

Electric appeals to me, I just dont have a ton of time to fully research it. My question boils down to what gotcha's (other than the buying process which I have read about troubles with) are there with say getting a used ~$30K model S vs getting a model 3 or perhaps other vehicle like a Bolt? The model S seems very nice, it just seems odd that the 2014 or so offerings have depreciated that much?

Is there still mandatory maintenance of around $600/year? Are there other expenses, do they chew up tires, use way more energy or anything like that i need to take into account in my calculations?

Is there any huge problem buying a used Tesla from 3rd party dealerships or from an individual and not from Tesla itself?

Just learning and I do not want to get bitten by something I hope/think I will really like....

Why wait for a model 3? You can order now and have it very quickly. I would really do that vs a used model S.

Reactions: DanCar
You'd have more value for money with a new 3, with the latest technology, which you wont have with an used Model S from 2014. Plus you are eligible for almost 4k in tax credit when you buy new. No comparison with Bolt BTW. Doesn't even come close;)

Reactions: DanCar
Bolt doesn't have adaptive cruise control or lane centering. Leaf does as do other EVs. Model 3 has less nag when using these features and is more refined. Bolt has reputation for uncomfortable seats. Model 3 feels roomier.