Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model Ss - Key information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely a subjective question but for me probably this order:

1. Price (should always be the biggest consideration - get what you can afford)
2. Range
3. Mileage (I know it's not so important in an EV it is an indicator of wear and tear)
4. AP version
5. Interior color
6. Must have features
7. Wheel size
8. Exterior Color
9. Nice to have features

Definitely a personal question and there isn't a right or wrong answer. With that said there is a huge difference in used Model S cars since they range from 2012-2020. 8 years is a lot of changes and there used to be a much wider range of options you could get vs today's choices. But I agree with what was posted above about price being the #1 concern.

I have a 2016 90D (UHFS, air suspension) and have drove a few loaners that were slightly older 2014 and 2015 and they drove/felt completely different than mine and would have been disappointed if mine drove and rattled like the loaners that I had.
  • 2012-2016 I would try to go 3rd party and drive the car before buying it since the cars can vary so much. (there isnt much benefit buy directly through Tesla now that they dont have a CPO program and greatly reduced their warranty from 4yr50k miles to 1yr10k miles)
  • 2017-18 is kinda in the middle with most options being streamlined but the middle display screen computer (MCU - Media Control Unit) getting upgraded halfway through the 2018 year to the MUCH snappier MCU2
  • 2019 or newer there is much less to be concerned about since the car's options are much more limited.

• Helpful
Reactions: N8Howell33
Definitely a personal question and there isn't a right or wrong answer. With that said there is a huge difference in used Model S cars since they range from 2012-2020. 8 years is a lot of changes and there used to be a much wider range of options you could get vs today's choices. But I agree with what was posted above about price being the #1 concern.

I have a 2016 90D (UHFS, air suspension) and have drove a few loaners that were slightly older 2014 and 2015 and they drove/felt completely different than mine and would have been disappointed if mine drove and rattled like the loaners that I had.
  • 2012-2016 I would try to go 3rd party and drive the car before buying it since the cars can vary so much. (there isnt much benefit buy directly through Tesla now that they dont have a CPO program and greatly reduced their warranty from 4yr50k miles to 1yr10k miles)
  • 2017-18 is kinda in the middle with most options being streamlined but the middle display screen computer (MCU - Media Control Unit) getting upgraded halfway through the 2018 year to the MUCH snappier MCU2
  • 2019 or newer there is much less to be concerned about since the car's options are much more limited.
I bought a 2017 75s directly from Tesla right before the warranty change. I agree with you, that there is point getting an older Tesla thru Tesla at this point. I am very happy with my 2017 model S (Glass roof, air suspension and cream interior). I would have like cold weather and upgraded sound but I had a budget and a timeline knowing the warranty would change I got what suited me best. Your mileage will vary but for me the #1 thing I would look for outside of year is AP 2.0 or higher. AP 1.0 can’t be further upgraded but AP 2.0 and above can be. That being said you will probably end up forking out another 2.5K (or 3K if you need FM radio) for the MCU 2 upgrade if you don’t get a mid to late 2018 s. I came from a 2018 model 3 (also RWD) but the seats in the 2017 s are SOOO much more comfortable it’s not even close (I do realize Tesla later updated them for the 3 and Y).