Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X from Tesla. Noted Issues at Pick up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just picked up my used 2016 AP2 Model X Red Metallic from Tesla. During the pick up I noticed few issues. Tesla as expected is claiming that used vehicles are "as-is" and that they wouldn't fix many. I am still working through the process to getting them addressed.

Most of the issues are cosmetic so far so I am not as concerned but at the same time they were not revealed in pictures so trying to see what they will take care.

1. Falcon Door both sides seem to have resulted in pain having peeled. I remember reading on forums here that its normal but being a Red Model X, it seems to be too obvious. I am going to try to have Tesla repaint of fix them but since they may come back, is there any kind of plastic guard that can be used so as to prevent the paint peeling. (attached pictures)

2. The falcon door trim on top part (look at picture) is lifted. Tesla claims its cosmetic and wear and tear item. I am concerned that during rainy season may result in water coming in as well as this may lead to the glass issue. Has anyone else seen it and can you provide any guidance?

3. The car was a 60D that was upgraded to 75D. I asked them to badge it right and I am told now they badge it as Dual Motor. That seems lame. Should I have them remove the badge or put the Dual badge on?

4. Wheel Trim: There is some misalignment. Tesla again claims a common issue with X. Is there any thing to do about it or should I just let it go?

5. Yellow screen issue - I am going to wait on this to fix later. Hopefully a permanent fix

6. Wheel Shudder - I am not yet able to replicate this but I am told it exists. What should it feel like? I want to get this fixed when I can provided I can get it replicated.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Attachments

• DriverSideFalconDoorPaint.jpg
    DriverSideFalconDoorPaint.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DriverSideFalconDoorPaint2.jpg
    DriverSideFalconDoorPaint2.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 113
  • PassengerFalconDoorPaint1.jpg
    PassengerFalconDoorPaint1.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 112
  • PassengerFalconDoorPaint2.jpg
    PassengerFalconDoorPaint2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 109
  • PassengerFalconDoorSeal1.jpg
    PassengerFalconDoorSeal1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 122
  • PassengerFalconDoorSeal2.jpg
    PassengerFalconDoorSeal2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 60DBadge-Souldbe75D.jpg
    60DBadge-Souldbe75D.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 106
  • PassengerFalconDoorWheelTrimGap.jpg
    PassengerFalconDoorWheelTrimGap.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: mrod1975
Thanks for sharing. I ordered a 2016 MX 75D and it's on the way to the Austin Service Center. Should be arriving in about two/three weeks and I'm glad you shared your experience so that I know what, among other things, to look for.

Please update this post with any and all response from Tesla as I'm almost certain I'll be in the same boat as you when mine arrives.

Thanks again!

Martin

If anyone else is looking for a great condition 2017 X75, I just sold mine to Current Automotive. Was a super reliable car for me, but I just wanted to trade up to a new Raven model and they gave me the best price. 2.0, EAP and Uncorked! Free Supercharging for life will transfer as well to new buyer. Lots better shape than this one.

They are in Chicago. currentautomotive.com

Should be arriving in a couple days from San Diego.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Fwd closure scuffs - touch-up if they bother you.

The seals seem... Weird/wrong . Test with hose.

Badges - mine was a 90d but I took off everything including the T on the back. Prefer the clean.

Shudder - you'll know if you have it. It feels like the power delivery isn't smooth from about 35-55mph when you're accelerate hard.

Reactions: mrod1975
If anyone else is looking for a great condition 2017 X75, I just sold mine to Current Automotive. Was a super reliable car for me, but I just wanted to trade up to a new Raven model and they gave me the best price. 2.0, EAP and Uncorked! Free Supercharging for life will transfer as well to new buyer. Lots better shape than this one.

When I ordered my Raven in August, the Tesla sales rep told me that they brought back the free supercharging for new cars by taking them off the used ones that had them... So I am not sure that that will transfer.

Great! What pricing did they give you and how do you assess as in a lot better shape :) can you share the link or VIN as my brother ister is looking for one too.

Thank you
Sam

When I ordered my Raven in August, the Tesla sales rep told me that they brought back the free supercharging for new cars by taking them off the used ones that had them... So I am not sure that that will transfer.
Remember Tesla can only take them off the car that go back to them. Can not do that to private and third party transactions so should be fine and should transfer.

Thanks for sharing. I ordered a 2016 MX 75D and it's on the way to the Austin Service Center. Should be arriving in about two/three weeks and I'm glad you shared your experience so that I know what, among other things, to look for.

Please update this post with any and all response from Tesla as I'm almost certain I'll be in the same boat as you when mine arrives.

Thanks again!

Martin

Make sure you have your OA on your side and make it clear. Also like everyone has said and even though I knew. Ask for it all in writing. take your own pictures. Take a paper with you. Make a note of the items and pictures and ask the delivery guy to acknowledge. If anything you miss you are going to have a tough run around. Tesla will almost deny it all so be very sure. They almost will make it seem like you take it or leave it... My delivery guy was just not interested. He said "its your money" you decide but was not willing to commit on anything. It took me 2 weeks of constantly following up to make sure they are gonna handle it. Its still not confirmed but I am trying to get as much done. All of these are minor but would rathe get it done now as later it will not happen.

Be prepared to walk away from the transaction. They tried to pull the same tactics with me, but I started booking a flight back home. Ultimately, there were about 6 issues (cosmetics) with my vehicle, 5 of which were on a "due bill" before I left.

1. The most they will do is touch up paint and a clear film over the area. (Mine was "fixed" under warranty)
2. Looks like they way my panoramic roof on my Model S looked. They fixed it under warranty, just know that the fix involved full replacement of the panoramic roof on the S.
3. 100% personal preference but I would just remove it.
4. They won't do anything. My rear trim sticks out some and they won't replace it.
5. Seems like you read up on this, might be an issue, might be fixed, who knows...
6. As others mentioned, you will notice it. Mine had it and it was fixed under warranty.

1. Falcon Door both sides seem to have resulted in pain having peeled. I remember reading on forums here that its normal but being a Red Model X, it seems to be too obvious. I am going to try to have Tesla repaint of fix them but since they may come back, is there any kind of plastic guard that can be used so as to prevent the paint peeling. (attached pictures)

2. The falcon door trim on top part (look at picture) is lifted. Tesla claims its cosmetic and wear and tear item. I am concerned that during rainy season may result in water coming in as well as this may lead to the glass issue. Has anyone else seen it and can you provide any guidance?

3. The car was a 60D that was upgraded to 75D. I asked them to badge it right and I am told now they badge it as Dual Motor. That seems lame. Should I have them remove the badge or put the Dual badge on?

4. Wheel Trim: There is some misalignment. Tesla again claims a common issue with X. Is there any thing to do about it or should I just let it go?

5. Yellow screen issue - I am going to wait on this to fix later. Hopefully a permanent fix

6. Wheel Shudder - I am not yet able to replicate this but I am told it exists. What should it feel like? I want to get this fixed when I can provided I can get it replicated.

There is a redesigned plastic piece to prevent the rubbing, have them perform service bulletin SB-18-11-001:
both FWD rubbing off paint of the body in lower rear corners,
Performed service bulletin SB-18-11-001. Replaced left and right falcon wing door pinch sensors, and bump stops.
Correction: Retrofit LH and RH Pinch Sensor Carrier, Retrofit LH and RH
Bump Stops, Install Protective Patches

I had the same thing and after enough nagging they replaced the seals on my X

I would recommend you fix it ASAP. I think, and this is strictly my opinion, that the longer you let yellow to progress/develop, the harder it is to mitigate with UV treatment. I've got mine screen treated twice already and some yellow still visible. Additionally, those UV treatment machines constantly break and you might end up waiting for a long time. Lastly, who knows if Tesla decides to "reclassify" this issue and stop offering any mitigation

If you have it, you will feel it during hard acceleration and suspension set to normal or higher - the vibration from the front is very apparent and obvious. Just try flooring it and if you have it, you'll feel it, repair is outlined in bulletin SB-19-39-001.

Reactions: VikH