Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

used p85/p85+ vs used 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the owner of a 2013 P85 that we purchased last year through the CPO program. It was loaded with pretty much every option available in Feb 2013 except the rear facing jump seats. We love it, and I'm thrilled about the warranty, which we have used.

We just had a loaner 70D for 4 days and about 400 miles. It was equipped with Autopilot hardware, but the Autopilot was not active. Without the Autopilot, I preferred our P85. Our car definitely feels more spirited and performance minded.

I have driven Autopilot equipped cars, and the system is amazing. As a technophile, I'd spring for the 70D. As a car enthusiast, I'd spring for the P85. As a Tesla owner who financially stretched to afford our car, I'd spring for the car with the warranty!

In practice, the P85 is probably going to get you about 20-30 miles more range than the 70D. Over the 400 miles we had the 70D (in almost all weather conditions, including snow, rain, cold, warm and dry), our energy consumption was around 370 wh/mile. Our P85 in similar conditions gets around 340 wh/mile. (I know they say the 70D is more efficient, I'm just reporting what I observed.)
Thanks for the feedback. How has your experience been with the p85 in the snow? Was the 70D much better and would it be enough to sway you to the D if this were to be your primary family car?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Seems there is a bit of a price diff in the vehicles (also very few used 70D). I think ive decided that a price differential of 5-6K would push me toward the 70D. If the difference is 10k or more than i will go with the p85 and assume i have taken most of the depreciation in terms of non autopilot pain. 6-10k will prob go to p85 lol but will depend in car.

Thanks again!

I have a CPO P85+ that I purchased in January. It's fantastic and I very much enjoy driving it and the performance! However, if I lived somewhere with regular snow, I would strongly consider a dual motor Tesla for the improved traction.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Both are great cars :)