Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ~30 miles per day while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visiting my family in NorCal, local temps are 75-80 degrees during the day, and in the low 60's at night. Car is parked in the driveway, with no cover, so sunny; and I noticed it is going thru ~30 miles of range daily. Last time I visited I chalked it up to an active Sentry mode, and folks just walking by as the M3 back end was close to the sidewalk, but this time I parked my car up in the driveway with my D's car is behind me.

Climate if Off. Inside of car register 90 degrees right now.

Normally my car is garaged, so not used to this outside activity. Any suggestions for things to check?

Visiting my family in NorCal, local temps are 75-80 degrees during the day, and in the low 60's at night. Car is parked in the driveway, with no cover, so sunny; and I noticed it is going thru ~30 miles of range daily. Last time I visited I chalked it up to an active Sentry mode, and folks just walking by as the M3 back end was close to the sidewalk, but this time I parked my car up in the driveway with my D's car is behind me.

Normally my car is garaged, so not used to this outside activity. Any suggestions for things to check?

Sentry uses between 1-2 miles an hour, so between 24-48 miles a day. That result is within the normal sentry mode daily operation.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Sentry can easily use more than 1mile of range per hour. I find backing in, may lower usage, as there's only one cam to trigger and not both side cams. If you don't have overheat protection on, you can try just venting the windows, which will lower them by an inch or so. And, make sure Smart Summon is not on.

Reactions: Snowball316
thanks for responding folks, I'll try these ideas.

Yep, if your car is sleeping correctly (no Sentry, no third-party apps configured incorrectly, and no other features in use), you should be able to get down to about 1 mile per day these days. You should mostly ignore the first day results however, since BMS adjustments can create dramatic shifts in the displayed rated miles (they can go up or down by several miles at least). (If it's more than a few miles, though, definitely investigate configuration after that first day, just to be sure you've turned off the known drain factors.)

As an example, my last trip in the wilderness was:

Parked at 146 rated miles.
Checked car at freezing temperatures 12 hours later, it showed 150 rated miles. (Wanted to make sure it was configured right!)
Came back to car a little over 3 days later, car displayed 147 rated miles.

So I register that as: ~1 mile per day of loss, with a 4-mile positive adjustment due to BMS re-estimation (note that this could easily have been negative rather than positive - it depends on the BMS error that is being corrected).

If you walk up to the car and it's idle (no contactors clunking after a few seconds), that's generally a red flag. There's only about a 5% chance (1 hour out of 24 hours) of that happening if the car is sleeping correctly. You should nearly always hear clunking when you open your car doors. And you should hear the quieter, distinctly different-sounding, disconnect clunk quite rapidly if you lurk around your car at a moderate distance, after it locks itself. Generally just takes a few minutes (but can take up to an hour if the car has decided to recharge the 12V battery, run the fans to clear AC moisture, etc.).

An easy way to verify that your car is asleep without waking it is to check the iOS widget (don’t open the app). Not sure about this on Android.
62B8679F-377A-4276-8B5A-5F9EA4B74A72.jpeg

Great info, I'm expecting delivery of my first Tesla this Sunday, and we plan on using it for a trip, where it will sit at the airport for about a week starting at about 50% charge. Obv. the last thing we need is getting home to a dead vehicle. o_O

Fortunately, since mine is being delivered way earlier than expected, I'll have a good month to experiment with it before that trip (I half expected it to be delivered and be headed out the next day ...).

No FSD on mine, so it sounds like: 1) turn off Sentry Mode, 2) don't ping the car unnecessarily (through the app), but you can - per @Long Ranger - check the iOS widget to get a status.

So you can have a problem with your car not "sleeping " if you're wandering around it, in and out of your phone's Bluetooth range?

Hmmm could be an issue for us ... may need to park it further away from the house and workshop.
The car will ignore the phone on your home wifi and idle successfully even if your phone is nearby. But yet: in general the car will detect your phone's proximity as a cue that it's going to need to be active and come out of idle so you don't have to wait for it.

It's in the 100s this week and I don't have the luxury of a garage/shade, so I am losing about 10-15% per day while parked due to cabin overheat protection. Last night I set it to no A/C as to not waste too much energy. BUT, my question is - is there any issue, long or short term, with letting the battery get used up like that for climate control? It is a pleasure car; I don't commute anywhere and have easy access to L2 charging.

Thanks. I understand the phone proximity awareness is Bluetooth based. So upto 30ft away can trigger it. Guess we'll just have to figure out where to park it once we get it, this Friday.
While this makes sense technically, this has not been my experience. My office is less than 10 feet from my Model 3 all day and my car successfully sleeps hours on end. Here's my last 6 days. Green is asleep. Most of the time, it will sleep ~24 hours and them come out for 20 minutes to check in with the mother ship.
1623763633364.png

I even went to the car and stood next to the drivers mirror (where I believe the BT antenna is) and the car was never awoken. I walked around the car less than a foot away with my phone out and display on and the car never awoke. I had to slight press the door handle (a trick I use when plugging/unplugging the wall charger) to get it to wake up (but not unlock). Only when I did that did the car wake.

My guess based on this admittedly limited data is having your phone close to the car does not wake the car.

is there any issue, long or short term, with letting the battery get used up like that for climate control?
Not any more than driving it, no. All battery cycles cause wear on the cells, that's inescapable. But everything breaks. If you don't want to watch your car inevitably erode into a pool of raw entropy then you should probably be leasing.

Generally the complaint with overheat/climate/sentry is that the car won't have enough charge for driving when you get back to it. But cell wear is just something we all deal with.

While this makes sense technically, this has not been my experience. My office is less than 10 feet from my Model 3 all day and my car successfully sleeps hours on end. Here's my last 6 days. Green is asleep. Most of the time, it will sleep ~24 hours and them come out for 20 minutes to check in with the mother ship.
View attachment 673566
I even went to the car and stood next to the drivers mirror (where I believe the BT antenna is) and the car was never awoken. I walked around the car less than a foot away with my phone out and display on and the car never awoke. I had to slight press the door handle (a trick I use when plugging/unplugging the wall charger) to get it to wake up (but not unlock). Only when I did that did the car wake.

My guess based on this admittedly limited data is having your phone close to the car does not wake the car.
Hunh. Thanks, good to know. Guess there are some 12V draws that dont automatically wake up the high voltage system.

By the way, what program gives you that graph/info?

An easy way to verify that your car is asleep without waking it is to check the iOS widget (don’t open the app). Not sure about this on Android.
View attachment 673393
Good info and would be helpful in weaning me ( new owner)!away from opening the app too often. Does this need to be enabled or activated in the Tesla app or elsewhere? I’m not seeing it in the list of available widgets. (iPhone 7, iOS 14.6)

Good info and would be helpful in weaning me ( new owner)!away from opening the app too often. Does this need to be enabled or activated in the Tesla app or elsewhere? I’m not seeing it in the list of available widgets. (iPhone 7, iOS 14.6)
It’s an older style widget. Hit Edit at the bottom of the widgets page, then scroll down to the bottom again and hit Customize (not the + at top right) and you should see it.

Hunh. Thanks, good to know. Guess there are some 12V draws that dont automatically wake up the high voltage system.
Right. That’s what the 12V battery is for. The car has active Bluetooth and LTE while sleeping, but no WiFi until it wakes.

Way back, the car would wake and unlock if you got close enough, but they changed that so that you have to touch a door handle. It was annoying when doing something like washing the car to have the mirrors constantly folding and unfolding.

• Informative
Reactions: brulaz