Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a tire inflator with the cigarette adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a tire inflator that plugs in to the cigarette adapter and I'm having problems getting it to work.

The first time I plugged it in the inflator powered on for about 3 seconds and then lost all power. Since then I've tried rebooting the car, sitting in the driver's seat, plugging in an older tire inflator that I know was working fine...nothing.

Did I blow a fuse on the cigarette adapter, and if so, can I reset it?

You likely tripped a breaker and need to give it time. It is really best to use them only in emergency anyway, air has moisture, compressing it reduces the amount of water that can stay suspended, with a simple pump it get pumped into the tire. with a larger compressor with a tank it falls out of suspension and can be drained away not getting pumped into your tire. Great to have a 12volt pump in the roadside emergency kit, but wouldn't use them for routine pressure adjustment.

I purchased this one from Amazon because other people on the forum said it was working on the Model 3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JDH4R7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I see in the specs that it requires 15 amps/180 watts and that may be more than the Model 3 can handle. I’m seeing conflicting information from other forum members though on whether these inflators that require higher power draw seem to work on the Model 3.

But I see in the specs that it requires 15 amps/180 watts and that may be more than the Model 3 can handle. I’m seeing conflicting information from other forum members though on whether these inflators that require higher power draw seem to work on the Model 3.

15 amp is the max and probably not all pump or circuit breaker is exactly on the dot. Maybe your car's circuit breaker trips easier and/or the pump you got is more powerful than others. I have this one and it is only 120W so 10 amp. It works perfectly for me so far and the digital gauge is very accurate matching the car's TPMS. I am a little OCD... trying to get all 4 tires exactly the same PSI showing on the car's screen LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC8MB1T/

It is really best to use them only in emergency anyway, air has moisture, compressing it reduces the amount of water that can stay suspended, with a simple pump it get pumped into the tire. with a larger compressor with a tank it falls out of suspension and can be drained away not getting pumped into your tire. Great to have a 12volt pump in the roadside emergency kit, but wouldn't use them for routine pressure adjustment.
hmmm, I have used these things for decades to regularly inflate my tires without ever having an issue. Then again, the humidity up here is typically less than 1/4 of the area where you live. It is very dry up here in the high desert.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I’m having a hard time determining why my pump blew a fuse after 3 seconds when others have used the same pump without issue. It looks like most of the pumps on Amazon run at 180 watts. It is just random as to whether they end up running just slightly above what the Model 3 cigarette adapter can handle?

Does it makes sense to just keep a manual foot pump in the car for emergencies? I don’t want a compressor that could blow a fuse and require waiting an hour for the car to reset the cigarette adapter while I’m sitting on the side of the road.

I purchased one of those $25 kits at walmart that included a pump and 5 tire worms. Came in handy with my first screw. I actually used it every other day (the worm repair had a slow leak) for two weeks until I could find a suitable replacement tire on eBay.

When it resets, try your other known working inflator and see if it trips the breaker too. If it draws the same rated power and doesn’t trip it, it’s the specific new inflator drawing too much power. The only way to measure to see if your breaker is tripping prematurely would be to find an ampmeter capable of ~20A DC

Here is a pump that is guaranteed not to cause a problem with your electrical system:

GUEST_8e2de80f-6cd3-4129-a11e-45e705e15c2c

Seriously, I keep a bicycle air pump in my trunk and use it routinely to top off the tires when needed.

Here is a pump that is guaranteed not to cause a problem with your electrical system:

GUEST_8e2de80f-6cd3-4129-a11e-45e705e15c2c

Seriously, I keep a bicycle air pump in my trunk and use it routinely to top off the tires when needed.

I can’t see the image you posted but I was thinking of ordering one of these just to avoid having to worry about blowing a fuse. Is there any downside to going with this over a power inflator?

https://www.amazon.com/Audew-Dual-C...l+tire+inflator+for+car&qid=1579188888&sr=8-3

I purchased one of those $25 kits at walmart that included a pump and 5 tire worms. Came in handy with my first screw. I actually used it every other day (the worm repair had a slow leak) for two weeks until I could find a suitable replacement tire on eBay.

When it resets, try your other known working inflator and see if it trips the breaker too. If it draws the same rated power and doesn’t trip it, it’s the specific new inflator drawing too much power. The only way to measure to see if your breaker is tripping prematurely would be to find an ampmeter capable of ~20A DC

My other inflator would not power on either. The red light indicating power lights up but when I turn on the unit the red light goes off and nothing happens. This is much more complicated than I was anticipating. I guess a manual pump is the way to go.

I can’t see the image you posted but I was thinking of ordering one of these just to avoid having to worry about blowing a fuse. Is there any downside to going with this over a power inflator?

There are only 2 downsides:

1) For some reason, the built-in pressure gauge seems to be a bit off. I believe the actual pressure is about 2-3 psi below what the gauge says. But it is consistent in how far it is off. So you have to calibrate your particular air pump and gauge and then remember to subtract or add psi accordingly, if your gauge is off like mine.

2) If all of your tires need air or if one tire is really flat, you may be in for an intense cardio workout!

2) If all of your tires need air or if one tire is really flat, you may be in for an intense cardio workout!

I don't have a fancy double pump but I have a single bicycle pump with a paddle. Our Model X had a screw in one of the tire and I had it fixed at a tire shop. After I drove home, I found out they forgot to pump it back up to 45 psi. It was left at 32. I tried to use my bicycle pump and it just won't get up fast enough. I think I gave up at around 39 and just drove to a gas station and use their free pump. I felt kind of bad as I am obviously not a customer!

There are only 2 downsides:

1) For some reason, the built-in pressure gauge seems to be a bit off. I believe the actual pressure is about 2-3 psi below what the gauge says. But it is consistent in how far it is off. So you have to calibrate your particular air pump and gauge and then remember to subtract or add psi accordingly, if your gauge is off like mine.

Thanks. I bought a separate tire gauge since I know the ones built into the pumps are not generally accurate. And I guess I could use the exercise and hopefully won’t have four flat tires at the same time. It’s better than blowing a fuse and having no other options than waiting for roadside assistance.