Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger wont' power up with Nema 14-30 using an adapter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wired them and they are the same length. This is all off my solar not homes main grid
He is talking about the entire run to (including the wire inside your walls) and including the breaker and connections. If the two circuits are not the exact same resistance, then the current won't be the same on both circuits and you will overload one of them. Note they might not be the same resistance even with the same wire length/type, because there may be differences in the connection points, for example with a looser screw, different contact area, or prongs on one circuit. It's a dangerous configuration for this reason and why it's a code violation.

And if you are doing new wire all the way to two breakers, then why don't you just do it the right way with one breaker wired to an outlet (without trying to tie two circuits)?

Also note if you are doing this to GFCI breakers (which seems to indicate you are connecting to your home in some way, and you aren't purely connecting this to a completely independent solar system that has zero connection to your home), it will likely trip.

120V GFCI works by comparing the current supplied by the hot and comparing to the return through the neutral. If they don't match, it trips. When you tie two together, it is unlikely to match given resistance tends to not be exactly the same on two circuits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think the explanation goes over why it isn't working right now (the Tesla charging cord is connecting to the two HOT wires that are in phase, and therefore getting zero voltage). You could make it work by re-wiring that adapter and putting both circuits in parallel, but then you've made a suicide cord which could shock you.

Another thought. Are either of the outlets you are using run with 12 awg wire (not 14 awg) and on a dedicated circuit breaker? Or could you live without the downstream outlets on one of the circuits? If so, you can (legally) rewire one of the circuits at the breaker panel to 240V 20A using a double breaker. Then swap out the outlet for a NEMA 6-20. The same 12 awg, three conductor wiring can be used, however you must label the neutral (white) wire as hot (black), since you'd now have two hots and a ground. Then you can get the Tesla 6-20 UMC plug and more than double your charge speed, with only one outlet. I've charged for years on a 6-20 and it is fast enough (about 15-16 MPH).

Alternately, if you have 14 awg wire, I believe you should be able to put a 240V 15A breaker, if such a thing exists, and a NEMA 6-15 socket.

If you're going to the trouble of "wiring up" a tt30 why don't you just do it right and install a 240v. To "wire up" a tt30 you're going to have to replace the wire and breaker anyway.
I'm going to do this but I can't "do it right" because my inverter only puts out 120 volts.

So I'm going to eventually wire up a tt30 but that adapter price seems like a rip off. Will just use a 5-20 for now when it comes in and return all the other adapters I bought. Except for the double to single 14-30 since it does work with my transfer switch.

I'm going to do this but I can't "do it right" because my inverter only puts out 120 volts.

So I'm going to eventually wire up a tt30 but that adapter price seems like a rip off. Will just use a 5-20 for now when it comes in and return all the other adapters I bought. Except for the double to single 14-30 since it does work with my transfer switch.
Ah, well that you didn't mention. Off-grid solar? If you do wire up a TT30 outlet, an adapter like this should work. This is what I have to charge at 120V 30A campground outlets.

Ah, well that you didn't mention. Off-grid solar? If you do wire up a TT30 outlet, an adapter like this should work. This is what I have to charge at 120V 30A campground outlets.
So this is confusing me. What is that doing correctly to get 120 volts out in a manner that the Tesla charger via 14-50 can power up? Is just one of the two hots live?

If it's within your wheelhouse and capabilities and you have a multimeter and feel confident and able to do so, could you check if both the hots are in fact life with your multimeter?

Again, only if it's within your wheelhouse. If you do not feel comfortable and don't even know what I'm talking about then it can ignore that request and I'll just remain confused.

So this is confusing me. What is that doing correctly to get 120 volts out in a manner that the Tesla charger via 14-50 can power up? Is just one of the two hots live?

If it's within your wheelhouse and capabilities and you have a multimeter and feel confident and able to do so, could you check if both the hots are in fact life with your multimeter?

Again, only if it's within your wheelhouse. If you do not feel comfortable and don't even know what I'm talking about then it can ignore that request and I'll just remain confused.
That adapter connects the hot and neutral to the two hot inputs of the Tesla 14-50 plug. It's different than the RV version of that adapter that will connect the hot wire from the TT30 to both hots of the 14-50, and the neutral to the neutral, ground to ground. The reason the RV version doesn't work with the Tesla UMC is it is connected between the two HOT wires. When you plug in a Tesla UMC to the RV adapter, the net voltage between the two hot inputs is 0, so it doesn't power on.

The Tesla UMC doesn't use the neutral at all.

So, to make it work with 120V on a 240V plug, you need to connect the hot wire to one of the hots and the neutral to the other hot.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
That adapter connects the hot and neutral to the two hot inputs of the Tesla 14-50 plug. It's different than the RV version of that adapter that will connect the hot wire from the TT30 to both hots of the 14-50, and the neutral to the neutral, ground to ground. The reason the RV version doesn't work with the Tesla UMC is it is connected between the two HOT wires. When you plug in a Tesla UMC to the RV adapter, the net voltage between the two hot inputs is 0, so it doesn't power on.

The Tesla UMC doesn't use the neutral at all.

So, to make it work with 120V on a 240V plug, you need to connect the hot wire to one of the hots and the neutral to the other hot.
So it is a different wiring setup, where only one leg is hot and the other is wired to N. How did you know that it would be wired correctly to function before ordering?

Also why not just get a 14-50 outlet and wire it that way so you can plug directly into that and just use the proper gauge wire for it?

Last edited:
So it is a different wiring setup, where only one leg is hot and the other is wired to N. How did you know that it would be wired correctly to function before ordering?

Also why not just get a 14-50 outlet and wire it that way so you can plug directly into that and just use the proper gauge wire for it?
I bought that adapter to charge at campgrounds that only have 120V 30A service. It says for EV charging, so I knew it was wired correctly.

I do have a 14-50 outlet at home that is wired correctly, but it is 240V.

I suppose if you only have 120V service and wanted to do it correctly, you could install a TT30 outlet and use this UMC plug end:

There's also NEMA 5-30, but that's a rare one to find. You shouldn't wire 120V to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It would work, but there's probably some good reason not to do it

I bought that adapter to charge at campgrounds that only have 120V 30A service. It says for EV charging, so I knew it was wired correctly.

I do have a 14-50 outlet at home that is wired correctly, but it is 240V.

I suppose if you only have 120V service and wanted to do it correctly, you could install a TT30 outlet and use this UMC plug end:

There's also NEMA 5-30, but that's a rare one to find. You shouldn't wire 120V to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It would work, but there's probably some good reason not to do it
Yeah, thanks everybody for the support.
Went ahead and purchased everything. I need to install my TT30 outlet and I went ahead and got the TT30 charging adapter for the mobile charger.

All of that comes in tomorrow and I'll wiring hook it all up and then it sounds like I will be up to code as well as hitting the max charging limit I can hit with my setup.

Now to just go through the hassle of returning all of these useless adapters I bought.

But I learned a lot.