Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger wont' power up with Nema 14-30 using an adapter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought this with the hopes of squeezing some more amps into my Tesla. https://www.amazon.com/Generator-L1...0B3LJ2R6H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I tested Live right to N 120 volts and Live Left to N 120 volts.

I'm only using one pole/phase not two so I don't expect to get 240 volts out of this.

But I figured the Mobile Charger can handle 120 volts just fine so I'd be able to get some more amps out this way but it won't even power on.

I did an experiment where I plugged it into two different outlets in different phases but that adapter triggers the breaker on any plug/breaker with GFCI but interestingly enough it did power on that way. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I guess this is a bit unconventional but it seemed in theory that it should work despite in practice it being odd.

You can’t draw more amps from a parallel set up like you’ve tried. At best you’d get 240V at 12A but it’ll trip any gfci as you found out. Please believe me when I say what you’re trying is not safe.

Stick with normal Tesla adapters. Install a higher power receptacle, or install a Wall Connector.
I'm confused as to what is un-safe exactly? Two separate circuits each rated for 20 amps but both on the same phase/pole so 120volts only. Both would be getting used as they normally are getting used, but combined for more amp output through a 14-30 that can handle it but the Tesla Mobile Charger seems to not want to power up with it. I guess its a restriction?

You can’t draw more amps from a parallel set up like you’ve tried. At best you’d get 240V at 12A but it’ll trip any gfci as you found out. Please believe me when I say what you’re trying is not safe.

Stick with normal Tesla adapters. Install a higher power receptacle, or install a Wall Connector.
With respect to the OP, but this sounds like a classic, “Watch this. Hold my beer”. I agree that this does not look, sound or feel safe.

Correct but both circuits are on the same phase.
Ah. As they say, "That's your problem".

First, and most importantly, what you're doing is definitely not safe, unless you're using a ganged breaker.

First, obligatory Wikipedia graphic:
1705194972230.png

So, a NEMA14-30 is supposed to have one hot on one blade (on the above graphic, let's say the left blade), and another hot on the right blade.

As in normal in a North American house, each hot, with respect to neutral, is 120 VAC.

Now, the tricky bit: North American houses typically get a split-phase feed. There's three wires coming down from the pole: A neutral (which, in the breaker box, gets connected to a ground stake where the feed enters the house), a hot that is 120/_0 degrees, and another hot that is 120/_180 degrees. The voltage from hot to hot is 240 VAC. If you were to look at these two hots on a dual-channel oscilloscope, both of them would be sine waves: But, when one wave is going up, the other wave is going down, resulting in double the voltage.

The two hots, after going through the meter, get connected to two bus bars. A typical breaker box has clip-on breakers. The first breaker, at the top, gets connected to the first hot; the next breaker down gets connected to the second hot; the next breaker after that gets connected to the first hot again, and so on.

When one wants 120 VAC, one takes the wire coming out of one of these breakers, pairs it with a neutral wire (also on a bus), and runs it off somewhere, since both hots are 120 VAC with respect to neutral.

If one want 240 VAC, one puts in a duplex breaker that takes up two slots and is ganged, so if either of the two breakers has an overcurrent, both breakers trip. The two wires coming out of the two breakers have 240 VAC across them. That NEMA14-30 is supposed to have a duplex 30A breaker pair, two wires coming out of the breaker and, along with those wires, a neutral wire, and a safety ground wire.

Funny rules come into play with a sub-panel. There's a copper-staked ground, 6 feet long, that's been pounded into the earth next to where the electrical entry is located. Said wire goes to the ground bus in the very first breaker box in the house; and the neutral wire from the electrical pole gets connected to that same ground bus. So, at that breaker box and nowhere else, neutral and ground are connected together.

Now, consider a 120 VAC load, like a lightbulb or microwave oven. There is very definitely current flowing on the hot and the neutral going to that load; the safety ground, with malice aforethought, will not have any current flowing on it. And that's true of all the safety grounds in the house - no current. When there is current on the safety ground, that's an emergency, because it means some piece of grounded metal or other (say, on the skin of a refrigerator) has a connection to something it ought not to, and you, a human, touching that energized piece of metal might find yourself slightly dead. Or a fire might start. This is what GFCIs are all about - in places where there's sinks, possibility of water intrusion, and all that, a GFCI is there to detect current on that ground wire and Open Up Neutral And Ground, thereby saving the day.

On a sub-panel, like, one located across the basement or in a detached garage somewhere, there's the issue that, due to voltage drops on the neutral going to the sub-panel, the voltage between neutral and ground would Not Be Zero; so, on the sub-panel, there may very well be a connection between the safety ground bus in that panel and a ground stake somewhere, but there will be an isolated-from-ground neutral bus bar, making a sub-panel Different than a main panel.

Now, back to you and your funky experimentation. First, nomenclature: Let's call, for the purposes of this discussion, the two hot phases A and B. If you wire up that NEMA14-30 to have A on both hots, or B on both hots, then the voltage between the two hots will be Zero, not 240 VAC.

Second: That NEMA14-30 must have wire capable of carrying 30A. This is not a maybe, this is not a suggestion, and this is because wire gets warm when current runs through it. Standard 120 VAC wall sockets in a house are rigged to be (mostly) on 15A circuits, sometimes (with the blade at right angles) on a 20A circuit. If one runs something higher than the rated current through that wire, Our Friends at the National Electric Code have Done Studies. Heat is dissipated in that wire. The heat has to go somewhere - through the insulation, through the insulation of the house, and air flow inside the walls. If Too Much Heat For The Wire Is Present, Bad, Life-Threatening Things Are Going To Happen. The insulation can get hotter than its rating and degrade, to the point of becoming conductive. It would be nice if it went to a dead short, but suppose, on a 15A circuit, it goes to a short that uses up 7A. That's not enough to pop the breaker, but it could be hot enough to set the wood timbers of the house On Fire.

You might be willing to live with the idea of getting a better charging rate on your car. But are you willing to have your nearest and dearest, also living in that house, to be woken up with flames in their bedroom door? Assuming that they just don't die of smoke inhalation without even waking up. Don't Screw With This - either do it right or hire somebody who knows what they're doing (there's a reason that these people are named licensed electricians).

Looking at that NEMA chart, above, there's very few 30A 120 VAC sockets typically found in normal households. So, if you're playing mix-and-match with 15A or 20A circuits to build yourself a 240 VAC 30A circuit - I beg you, DON'T DO THAT THING. Unless you (a) live alone and (b) got a serious death wish.

Doing it right: Make sure your breaker box can take an additional 30A load. (On the web, search for Load Analysis.) Pull some four wire-cable (two hots, a neutral, and a safety ground) from the location of your breaker box to where your socket is going to be). Get a 30A, duplex, GFCI breaker (the GFCI is if your car is in a garage or outside), then wire everything up properly. And, if you're sane, go file an electrical permit application with your local municipal authority.

Why the electrical permit? Around here, they don't require a rough-in inspection and all that for simply adding a single outlet. But what the inspector will do is look over your work. If the inspector is happy, they'll sign it off without a word. If they're not happy, then, good: Another pair of expert eyes has just kept you from immolating yourself. Believe me, worth the $40 or so for the permit, right?

Finally: All that stuff above about what one phase is with respect to another phase, where neutral is in this, and that the two phases have equal (but opposite sine wave) voltages? Both the car and the Tesla Mobile Connector test for all this. If I understand the cognoscenti on this forum correctly, they even do a little checking to make sure that ground isn't inadvertently connected to anything that it ought not to be. (Which drives some GFCIs nuts, but that's life.) So, if you get the wiring wrong, the TMC isn't likely to work well. The TMC/car is also tuned to catch unexpected voltage drops - like what happens when one uses an undersized gauge of wire, which you appear to be doing.

And, yeah, the car/TMC is expecting that those two hots are 240 VAC from each other because that's what it's going to use when charging the battery. Not 120VAC to neutral and another 120VAC to neutral, independent.

Ah. As they say, "That's your problem".

First, and most importantly, what you're doing is definitely not safe, unless you're using a ganged breaker.

First, obligatory Wikipedia graphic:
View attachment 1008687
So, a NEMA14-30 is supposed to have one hot on one blade (on the above graphic, let's say the left blade), and another hot on the right blade.

As in normal in a North American house, each hot, with respect to neutral, is 120 VAC.

Now, the tricky bit: North American houses typically get a split-phase feed. There's three wires coming down from the pole: A neutral (which, in the breaker box, gets connected to a ground stake where the feed enters the house), a hot that is 120/_0 degrees, and another hot that is 120/_180 degrees. The voltage from hot to hot is 240 VAC. If you were to look at these two hots on a dual-channel oscilloscope, both of them would be sine waves: But, when one wave is going up, the other wave is going down, resulting in double the voltage.

The two hots, after going through the meter, get connected to two bus bars. A typical breaker box has clip-on breakers. The first breaker, at the top, gets connected to the first hot; the next breaker down gets connected to the second hot; the next breaker after that gets connected to the first hot again, and so on.

When one wants 120 VAC, one takes the wire coming out of one of these breakers, pairs it with a neutral wire (also on a bus), and runs it off somewhere, since both hots are 120 VAC with respect to neutral.

If one want 240 VAC, one puts in a duplex breaker that takes up two slots and is ganged, so if either of the two breakers has an overcurrent, both breakers trip. The two wires coming out of the two breakers have 240 VAC across them. That NEMA14-30 is supposed to have a duplex 30A breaker pair, two wires coming out of the breaker and, along with those wires, a neutral wire, and a safety ground wire.

Funny rules come into play with a sub-panel. There's a copper-staked ground, 6 feet long, that's been pounded into the earth next to where the electrical entry is located. Said wire goes to the ground bus in the very first breaker box in the house; and the neutral wire from the electrical pole gets connected to that same ground bus. So, at that breaker box and nowhere else, neutral and ground are connected together.

Now, consider a 120 VAC load, like a lightbulb or microwave oven. There is very definitely current flowing on the hot and the neutral going to that load; the safety ground, with malice aforethought, will not have any current flowing on it. And that's true of all the safety grounds in the house - no current. When there is current on the safety ground, that's an emergency, because it means some piece of grounded metal or other (say, on the skin of a refrigerator) has a connection to something it ought not to, and you, a human, touching that energized piece of metal might find yourself slightly dead. Or a fire might start. This is what GFCIs are all about - in places where there's sinks, possibility of water intrusion, and all that, a GFCI is there to detect current on that ground wire and Open Up Neutral And Ground, thereby saving the day.

On a sub-panel, like, one located across the basement or in a detached garage somewhere, there's the issue that, due to voltage drops on the neutral going to the sub-panel, the voltage between neutral and ground would Not Be Zero; so, on the sub-panel, there may very well be a connection between the safety ground bus in that panel and a ground stake somewhere, but there will be an isolated-from-ground neutral bus bar, making a sub-panel Different than a main panel.

Now, back to you and your funky experimentation. First, nomenclature: Let's call, for the purposes of this discussion, the two hot phases A and B. If you wire up that NEMA14-30 to have A on both hots, or B on both hots, then the voltage between the two hots will be Zero, not 240 VAC.

Second: That NEMA14-30 must have wire capable of carrying 30A. This is not a maybe, this is not a suggestion, and this is because wire gets warm when current runs through it. Standard 120 VAC wall sockets in a house are rigged to be (mostly) on 15A circuits, sometimes (with the blade at right angles) on a 20A circuit. If one runs something higher than the rated current through that wire, Our Friends at the National Electric Code have Done Studies. Heat is dissipated in that wire. The heat has to go somewhere - through the insulation, through the insulation of the house, and air flow inside the walls. If Too Much Heat For The Wire Is Present, Bad, Life-Threatening Things Are Going To Happen. The insulation can get hotter than its rating and degrade, to the point of becoming conductive. It would be nice if it went to a dead short, but suppose, on a 15A circuit, it goes to a short that uses up 7A. That's not enough to pop the breaker, but it could be hot enough to set the wood timbers of the house On Fire.

You might be willing to live with the idea of getting a better charging rate on your car. But are you willing to have your nearest and dearest, also living in that house, to be woken up with flames in their bedroom door? Assuming that they just don't die of smoke inhalation without even waking up. Don't Screw With This - either do it right or hire somebody who knows what they're doing (there's a reason that these people are named licensed electricians).

Looking at that NEMA chart, above, there's very few 30A 120 VAC sockets typically found in normal households. So, if you're playing mix-and-match with 15A or 20A circuits to build yourself a 240 VAC 30A circuit - I beg you, DON'T DO THAT THING. Unless you (a) live alone and (b) got a serious death wish.

Doing it right: Make sure your breaker box can take an additional 30A load. (On the web, search for Load Analysis.) Pull some four wire-cable (two hots, a neutral, and a safety ground) from the location of your breaker box to where your socket is going to be). Get a 30A, duplex, GFCI breaker (the GFCI is if your car is in a garage or outside), then wire everything up properly. And, if you're sane, go file an electrical permit application with your local municipal authority.

Why the electrical permit? Around here, they don't require a rough-in inspection and all that for simply adding a single outlet. But what the inspector will do is look over your work. If the inspector is happy, they'll sign it off without a word. If they're not happy, then, good: Another pair of expert eyes has just kept you from immolating yourself. Believe me, worth the $40 or so for the permit, right?

Finally: All that stuff above about what one phase is with respect to another phase, where neutral is in this, and that the two phases have equal (but opposite sine wave) voltages? Both the car and the Tesla Mobile Connector test for all this. If I understand the cognoscenti on this forum correctly, they even do a little checking to make sure that ground isn't inadvertently connected to anything that it ought not to be. (Which drives some GFCIs nuts, but that's life.) So, if you get the wiring wrong, the TMC isn't likely to work well. The TMC/car is also tuned to catch unexpected voltage drops - like what happens when one uses an undersized gauge of wire, which you appear to be doing.

And, yeah, the car/TMC is expecting that those two hots are 240 VAC from each other because that's what it's going to use when charging the battery. Not 120VAC to neutral and another 120VAC to neutral, independent.
Appreciate the detailed post but some confusion/clarification.

This product is what I'm using.

The wires are thick and its suited for the job, nothing will melt.

And each circuit is rated for 20 amps and neither will have more than 20 amps drawn and if they do the circuit will trip, that is why the are there, to protect the wires.

And as far as the car expecting 240 VAC that would make sense but some how folks have gotten 120v working with a 14-30 I just don't get how yet.

What you are saying about drawing 120v from the same phase aka putting A on both hots or B on both hots would explain why the tesla mobile charger isn't powering up.

But now I'm confused how others got it to work? Maybe they wired their own outlet and just wired one hot not both?

Also the product description states the following

• If you connect it to two outlets on different phases of the panel, you will have a total of 30 amps of capacity at 240v. If you connect it to two outlets on the same phase of the panel, you will have two 15 or 20 amp, 120v circuits on one cord.
So I'm expecting the latter there, where I'd see the ability to draw up to two 15s or two 20s at 120v with the cord going out as 14-30.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
  • If you connect it to two outlets on different phases of the panel, you will have a total of 30 amps of capacity at 240v. If you connect it to two outlets on the same phase of the panel, you will have two 15 or 20 amp, 120v circuits on one cord.
So I'm expecting the latter there, where I'd see the ability to draw up to two 15s or two 20s at 120v with the cord going out as 14-30.
How is having two 15 amp circuits on a single cord going to help you? It's not like the current adds together. The product description of having 30 amps at 240v using two different phases is dead wrong.

And each circuit is rated for 20 amps and neither will have more than 20 amps drawn and if they do the circuit will trip, that is why the are there, to protect the wires.

And as far as the car expecting 240 VAC that would make sense but some how folks have gotten 120v working with a 14-30 I just don't get how yet.

What you are saying about drawing 120v from the same phase aka putting A on both hots or B on both hots would explain why the tesla mobile charger isn't powering up.

But now I'm confused how others got it to work? Maybe they wired their own outlet and just wired one hot not both?

If Tronguy’s explanation is not enough for you to abandon this setup, I’m not sure you’re truly looking for feedback here. Just because others have gotten it to work doesn’t mean it’s safe.

Reactions: GHammer

Couple of things.

"The circuit is rated for 20A and neither will have more than 20A drawn and if they do the circuit will trip".

You did say that the connector is a NEMA14-30. I don't give a flying hoot what some out-of-control, NEC-be darned rando on Amazon, a hotbed of dangerous and illegal products, puts on the unchecked for safety marketplace. It's buyer beware with teeth: If your house burns down, just what do you think your chances are of finding and suing the seller, assuming that you survive the experience?

Second: NEC says: The Breaker, The Wire, and the Socket must all be rated for 30A. As far as I know, there is one, and only one exception. If you look at that chart, you'll notice that there are 15A sockets, 20A sockets, 30A sockets, and 50A sockets. There are no 40A sockets. As it happens, however, there are 40A loads, for things like clothes driers and electric stoves. So, for those guys, with a NEMA14-50 ONLY, one can put a 40A breaker on a NEMA14-50 and keep cooking with one's electric range. I haven't read the specs, but I imagine that one is supposed to label such a socket to Warn People. Right. Let 25 years pass by, and what do you expect is going to happen? That label is going to fall off, that's what.

And this leads to an Interesting Point about the Tesla Mobile Connector. Given the number of Teslas out there in the world, it's inevitable that some gonzo or other is going to plug a TMC into a NEMA14-50. Label or no label: Idiots are born every day, and some idiot is going to Try It, even if the label is present.

So, we now delve into the next bit with the NEC. They state, with stinking good reason, that if one is running a continuously heavy load (hello, Tesla!) that one must derate the allowable load by 20%. This is, again, because of Heat. It's one thing to have a start-up current on, say, a 15A circuit that peaks at 18A for a few milliseconds - it's another if one runs right at 15A. With that 15A one of two nasty things will happen: Either the breaker will trip (manufacturing variations on a breaker rated for 15A) or the Wire Will Get Hot And Degrade.

So, the maximum load on a 15A circuit is 12A (80% of 15). The maximum load on a 20A circuit is 16A. The maximum load on a 30A circuit is 24A. And the maximum load on a NEMA14-50 is 40A. I am going to repeat this: It's not just the blinking wires that get Too Hot, it's the blinking conductors in the connector that can get too hot. The connector manufacturers are Very Aware of all this and build their connectors to match the NEC.

Now, the tricky bit: The TMC's maximum current, no matter what adapter one plugs into it, is 32A. Period. The thought: Tesla's engineers realized that this exception for the NEMA14-50 (and similar high-current connectors) was out there. They have no way to tell if the TMC is plugged into a legit NEMA14-50 and can therefore suck down 40A - or if it's plugged into a circuit with 40A wire and a 40A breaker and Doing That risks burning down the house and/or popping the breaker or, by running the breaker at its limit, eventually killing the breaker. So, they decided to Save The Day, Play It Safe, and act like there's a 40A circuit out there with a max current draw of 32A.

If you're getting the idea about now that People Write Standards And Standards Are Meant To Be Followed, and Bad Things Happen To People Who Don't Do That, either Immediately or Five Years from Now, you're getting the right idea.

So, first off: If you've got yourself a NEMA14-30, the maximum current that guy should be drawing will be, according to the TMC and the car, will be 24A.

Next thing: If I understand you right, you're talking about taking a pair of bog-standard, 20A, single circuit breakers, using 20A rated wire, and connecting that to the NEMA14-30. Which is designed for 30A. And, if left to the car's devices, will have 24A running through it. That Is Wrong On So Many Levels I don't want to count them all. Yes, you can go to the control panel in the car and set the maximum current draw in Your Location to be 20A. That's STILL WRONG, because 20A wire should have a maximum current load of 16A. Period. SAFETY FIRST.

It would be better to use a ganged 20A breaker and a NEMA14-20. Then the car would hard limit the current to 16A and all would be safe. But that wouldn't give you your charging speed, would it?

If you want 32A of charging speed, you need 40A wire. No joke.

Now - That Amazon thing is for a blinking GENERATOR. Say you have a 240 VAC generator that can do 30A. That's two hots, 180 degrees out of phase with each other, a neutral, and a ground. Right. One can have an adapter, legit, on that GENERATOR to give one two NEMA5-15 (NOTE: That's a Fifteen Ampere Connector in the Amazon picture, NOT GOOD FOR 30A or 32A in ANY WAY.) connectors. And the adapters I see in there are for that use case - not for going from a standard, 15A wall socket to some $DIETY-awful 32A, 240 VAC connector.

I am not joking now. This is not a drill. No offense, but you, and whoever else is giving "advice" that this can give one a 240 VAC, 32A circuit, is a HORRIBLE IDEA. And I mean, HORRIBLE, like walking into a hospital room and finding your nearest and dearest with red, cracked burns over their 90% of their bodies.

For $DIETY's sake, call an electrician and have them put in a Wall Connector, or a Juice Box, or a NEMA14-50, or something, where they Follow Code.

Look: I'm not an electrician. I happen to have a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering and have been working on electronic system hardware design for some 32 years before retiring; before that, I was an aviation electronics mate in the Navy. I'm not a power engineer, or I suspect that all my text would have been in Large Caps before now. What I have done is work, as part of my job, on telecom power, which is, typically, 48V to 60V battery systems, where the gear I work on draws from single digit amperes to 50 or so. And, yeah, I have run around with serious crimping gear and, additionally, have worked as the guy who, as part of my work, picked up the burnt and broken pieces of gear from the field and did Sherlock Holmes on What Happened, and how to make sure It Didn't Happen Again. And I'm not kidding about burnt and broken.

I'm not an electrician, but, for these purposes, I may as well be. Ditch that Amazon crap and find yourself a real electrician and get this done to code.

Last edited:
I bought this with the hopes of squeezing some more amps into my Tesla. Amazon.com

I'm only using one pole/phase not two so I don't expect to get 240 volts out of this.

But I figured the Mobile Charger can handle 120 volts just fine so I'd be able to get some more amps out this way but it won't even power on.

I did an experiment where I plugged it into two different outlets in different phases but that adapter triggers the breaker on any plug/breaker with GFCI but interestingly enough it did power on that way. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I guess this is a bit unconventional but it seemed in theory that it should work despite in practice it being odd.
It's fairly obvious why your configuration doesn't work: the 14-30 Tesla adapter only uses power from the two hots, it doesn't use the neutral and the ground is purely for safety. The way your cord is wired, when the two hots are on the same phase, there is 0V across the two hots, so no power.

And when it is out of phase you are tying the neutrals and grounds together, so that is why the GFCI pops.

61bHu5d0U2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

You should do yourself a favor and get a multimeter and learn how to use it to determine what pins go where, as well as to measure the voltage across various pins. If you can't figure this out yourself, I would say you should not even dabble in this, especially just randomly plugging cords like this in. These are not code compliant obviously and only advanced users should dabble in trying to double connections.

The most common way of getting more power is something like the Quick 220 which combines two out of phase 120V outlets. As another pointed out the max you get out of this is 240V@12A.
A permanent version of this is a NEMA 6-15, which sometimes is possible if you find an electrical box with two phases inside.

The other way is to get a TT30 adapter which provides up to 120V@24A, although you would have to figure things yourself in how to get the TT30 outlet installed.

I'm not sure folks are following what I'm saying.

I get that you don't want to draw more than 80% of what a wire can handle.

24 amps max split on two wires is 12 amps each wire where each wire is on a 20 amp outlet with wire rated for such.

I did learn about AC canceling out but I have a transfer switch that has a 14-30 and using that same cable in able to power loads off my house with my solar generator. So clearly the cable works. Now maybe the transfer switch is wired differently but it tells me it's possible.

I do appreciate the safety concerns

I do have a multimeter and am able to use it.

I can test to see.that two hots do cancel each other out.

It's fairly obvious why your configuration doesn't work: the 14-30 Tesla adapter only uses power from the two hots, it doesn't use the neutral and the ground is purely for safety. The way your cord is wired, when the two hots are on the same phase, there is 0V across the two hots, so no power.

And when it is out of phase you are tying the neutrals and grounds together, so that is why the GFCI pops.

61bHu5d0U2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

You should do yourself a favor and get a multimeter and learn how to use it to determine what pins go where, as well as to measure the voltage across various pins. If you can't figure this out yourself, I would say you should not even dabble in this, especially just randomly plugging cords like this in. These are not code compliant obviously and only advanced users should dabble in trying to double connections.

The most common way of getting more power is something like the Quick 220 which combines two out of phase 120V outlets. As another pointed out the max you get out of this is 240V@12A.
A permanent version of this is a NEMA 6-15, which sometimes is possible if you find an electrical box with two phases inside.

The other way is to get a TT30 adapter which provides up to 120V@24A, although you would have to figure things yourself in how to get the TT30 outlet installed.
I guess I'll just wire up a tt 30 outlet and get that custom adapter if it's known to work at 120x24

I'm not sure folks are following what I'm saying.

I get that you don't want to draw more than 80% of what a wire can handle.

24 amps max split on two wires is 12 amps each wire where each wire is on a 20 amp outlet with wire rated for such.

I did learn about AC canceling out but I have a transfer switch that has a 14-30 and using that same cable in able to power loads off my house with my solar generator. So clearly the cable works. Now maybe the transfer switch is wired differently but it tells me it's possible.

I do appreciate the safety concerns

I do have a multimeter and am able to use it.

I can test to see.that two hots do cancel each other out.
NO NO NO. Stop it. You don't know what you're doing. You cannot or rather should not tie two circuit's hots together at the drawing end, attempting to draw 12A from each wire for a combined 24A. First, that violates NEC electrical code. Second, each wire back to the panel will have different lengths and resistances meaning each wire will have different amp flow on them. Household wiring is simply not engineered or designed for what you are trying to do.

I bought this with the hopes of squeezing some more amps into my Tesla. https://www.amazon.com/Generator-L1...0B3LJ2R6H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

If you have 12-2 wire to the outlets (and you should have with a 20amp breaker), you could change an outlet to a NEMA 5-20 and then charge at 16A/120v. Alternatively, if one outlet has a dedicated breaker (no other loads on that circuit, you might be able to change the breaker to a 240V breaker and change the outlet to a NEMA 6-20, and then charge at 16A/240V.

Reactions: Nonlin
NO NO NO. Stop it. You don't know what you're doing. You cannot or rather should not tie two circuit's hots together at the drawing end, attempting to draw 12A from each wire for a combined 24A. First, that violates NEC electrical code. Second, each wire back to the panel will have different lengths and resistances meaning each wire will have different amp flow on them. Household wiring is simply not engineered or designed for what you are trying to do.
I wired them and they are the same length. This is all off my solar not homes main grid

If you have 12-2 wire to the outlets (and you should have with a 20amp breaker), you could change the outlet to a NEMA 5-20 and then charge at 16A/120v. Alternatively, if one outlet has a dedicated breaker (no other loads on that circuit, you might be able to change the breaker to a 240V breaker and change the outlet to a NEMA 6-20, and then charge at 16A/240V.
They already are 20 amp outlets and I bought that adapter to use in the meantime till I implement a faster solution.