Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using MX for power after hurricane Sally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in day 4 of no power since the storm. I've setup a small 12v inverter to charge phones, laptop, watch TV, or run a box fan at night. I turn on Camp mode and put the climate control on manual, set it to 1 fan speed, turn off recirculate, and turn off rear.

It drains about 1% per hour. I don't use it all day long, and it's at about 58% now (started at only 80%). There is a supercharger about 25 miles away that has power, so I'll probably go "fill up" this weekend.

I broke down and bought a generator today because the coolers were at their limit. It would be amazing if Tesla would enable the vehicle to back feed through the HPWC.

We have an MX and a M3 and I fitted both with a jumper connector so I can hook up a 1200W inverter to the battery. I connect to a generator cutover switch at the breaker box. I put a LifePo 24w/hr battery in parallel to handle any initial amperage draw when appliances start up. I have used this multiple times to keep some light on and run the fridge, heater (gas), water heater (gas), a small chest freezer, and our office setup including the Fios gear and Wifi. The lights are always on, I cycle the other circuits to keep the fridge and freezer to temp, The heater and water heater as needed. Same with the office. We can last more than a week with one car charged to 80%.

Obviously this is not for everyone because you won't find an electrician who would set the whole thing up but if you get the generator cutover installed it is not a difficult DIY. Videos on YouTube for the inverter setup. Also unless your appliances are from the 1980s they don't have a high start up draw anymore. We have a 30qft fridge freezer and it pulls no more than 400 watts continuos and less than 700 for the initial kick start.

• Informative
Reactions: bhorn
That sounds really awesome. Buying fuel for the generator is a real hassle, not to mention the storage and maintenance routine.

My backup generator is hooked to the public natural gas service. Power goes off, generator starts up and the lights come back on. Not all that expensive, available from your favorite big box store. It runs my entire house, but does not charge the cars. The Tesla circuit requires more energy than everything else combined.

I have a small solar panel (8X8 inch) right outside the garage with a thin wire running to the Lifepo. The battery has its own BMS so it only needs to top off occasionally. A trickle charger would work too.