Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using my old Thule Roof Bars on a Model Y - Is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Thule roof bars and cycle carriers for my previous car a BMW 4 Series. Currently these are slowly gathering dust and I wondered if there was any way of purchasing an adapter kit so that it can fit the Model Y. A quick search on Thule's UK site only shows items to fit the Model S - presumably due to the glass roofs on the other models? (I may have answered my own question here...)

To be honest, the glass roof makes me nervous of fixing anything to it - even Tesla's own Roof bars! I guess my existing Thule system is destined to be listed on Ebay then....

If you don't dare making some holes, installing anchors to hold the rack 's base would prevent any contact with the glass roof.

Model 3 - Bolted Rack .jpg

That’s on an S. Is there one for naked roofs for the Y?
Looking at the wheels, this seems to be a Model 3.
So, I assume those brackets could be compatible, or very close, with the Model Y.

I would better recommend getting the Tesla Yakima rack,
but the advantage of using brackets is that you can move the base
so the front and rear rails could be at the same height from the ground,
witch is not the case for the Model 3 Tesla Yakima rack,

Last edited:
Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I bought Thule roof bars and cycle carriers for my previous car a BMW 4 Series. Currently these are slowly gathering dust and I wondered if there was any way of purchasing an adapter kit so that it can fit the Model Y. A quick search on Thule's UK site only shows items to fit the Model S - presumably due to the glass roofs on the other models? (I may have answered my own question here...)

To be honest, the glass roof makes me nervous of fixing anything to it - even Tesla's own Roof bars! I guess my existing Thule system is destined to be listed on Ebay then....
Yakima has Baseline roof rack system for naked roofs (I had one in my 2019 Kona EV) but I just checked for MY they do not have a fitting. Thule only has it for Model S as you mentioned. I would discourage you on using non approved roof bars (i.e. "Universal fit") from any where

If you wish to carry Bikes on your roof, they do have the Seasucker Talons these should carry your bikes securely. just make sure you attach them appropriately. my Bike buddy uses this and it fits securely well and he has a 30 lbs Specialized MTB. Just make sure you have a spare bottled water to wet the surface to attach these better. he normally takes them off and secure them in the car while he is riding around the trail.

I personally carry my bikes using the Hitch. less hit on the range.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I am hooping thule will bring a fit kit for model Y.
I have a ton of thule accessories that will work with the Tesla bars, but are such pain to use in those Tesla bar channels. I would love to use thule evo bars that I have for my other cars.
Also, the curve that Tesla OE bars have, which I am sure does good for aerodynamics, but make the bikes lean out unless you put the bikes really close towards the middle of the roof. Then you need a step stool to put the bikes on the roof. Come on Thule, bring a fit kit already.

I am hooping thule will bring a fit kit for model Y.
I have a ton of thule accessories that will work with the Tesla bars, but are such pain to use in those Tesla bar channels. I would love to use thule evo bars that I have for my other cars.
Also, the curve that Tesla OE bars have, which I am sure does good for aerodynamics, but make the bikes lean out unless you put the bikes really close towards the middle of the roof. Then you need a step stool to put the bikes on the roof. Come on Thule, bring a fit kit already.

Because of the roof glass, which easily breaks, while a metal roof would only get a scratch,
I would strongly recommend using a tow hitch bicycle carrier.

Because of the roof glass, which easily breaks, while a metal roof would only get a scratch,
I would strongly recommend using a tow hitch bicycle carrier.
I understand because of the glass roof it's difficult to design. But I doubt that is what is holding thule back. Thule has been designing such fit kits for ages for much more expensive and complex cars with glass or even carbon fiber roofs. And model Y being the best selling car, thule is losing a big chunk of business. Probably Yakima has some sort of deal with Tesla for proprietary for certain time. I don't mind changing the bars to yakima if it were designed with the slit rubber strips like thule evo ones. It is just so hard to mount anything to the OE bars, and having experienced the ease with thule system for past 20 years, it just seems like a stupid design.
Tow hitch is not really a solution in my case. Having a toddler, and with her stuff and carrying snowboards/paddle-boards/fishing gear inside the car is not really an easy option, otherwise I would just order model X. Plus I need rear hatch access all times for all the other stuff