Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using phone for key/access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a Model Y and want to know if my cell phone does not have service can I still use it as a key to open and start my car in close proximity or is everything done over the internet?

We often go camping in remote places with no cell service

The "phone as key" functionality works through bluetooth LE as far as I know, so yes it would work with LTE service. I think you will not be able to use any of the functionality within the phone app itself, like controling heating/cooling remotely though.
Note that you should ALWAYS also bring a card in case.
Agreed. I always carry one spare in my wallet. And I actually bought a phone case with a hidden card slot to bring my other spare key as backup to places I don’t bring my wallet, like the gym.

You don't need data for phone key to work as long as bluetooth is on. You do need data if you want to use Tesla app to control the car function. Either case, you have to have "juice" for your phone. That's why you should have backup key card (no power needed).

ok perfect thank you
so I can unlock and start it with bluetooth only
but keep a card nearby just in case. Just hoping to most of the time be able to handsfree get into my car and go-- thats what I have now with a key fob and I know the card requires actually being tapped to start

ok perfect thank you
so I can unlock and start it with bluetooth only
but keep a card nearby just in case. Just hoping to most of the time be able to handsfree get into my car and go-- thats what I have now with a key fob and I know the card requires actually being tapped to start

I keep a card in my wallet. It works without taking the card out of my wallet. I push my wallet against the door pillar and then lay it on the center console and it works.

This is all of course when my phone fails to unlock and start the car, which has only happened once that I can recall. Restarted my phone later and it worked again. I think the bluetooth module needed a reset.

I also did this once when I forgot to bring my phone with me. I had walked probably half a mile away from my phone to the car and couldn't figure out why the door wasn't opening. Reached for my phone and was very displeased with myself, until I realized I had my wallet on me.